My cat blocks my center channel!

Jicafold

I am using a 5.1 surround system. Ever since setting this up my cat loves to lay in front of the center channel. The volume does not seem to matter to him. However, him and all his fur are blocking my sound. I don't want to lay a bunch of thumbtacks or anything in front of it. Any ideas?

002.JPG

Put something under the speaker to raise it up 6-7 inches. Or move the speaker forwards where the cats laying.

Those are some good ideas. His cat bed is...wherever he lays. He does have a blanky though. Maybe laying his blanky on the couch and laying him on that will help.

I'd move the speaker forwards, build a platform above it and make the cat comfortable there.
The center should be farther forward to minimize reflections from the shelf. The might settle in back or on top although there appears to have something above it.

Lift the cat and put him on your lap - or put him on the sofa next to you ...
Thats usually a cat's preferred place - other places are done to p*** you off and get your attention ...

It just has a temporary "Merry Christmas" decor thingy on top of it. I will try moving it forward a bit. Then he won't have any room to lay there, or he will lay behind it. Thank you.

Put your cat and my dog in the same room. The dog will leave his usual parking spot (in front of my subwoofer) and chase the cat away from the centre speaker.

Cute kitty, looks a lot like our Tiger Stripe (RIP) although she was much prettier of course. :p

I can see how this blocks the treble and the woofer. However you should still get clear midrange sound from the 'meower'. :rflmao:

They say that tape laid down sticky side up can train a cat not to go there. Or a little spritz with a spray bottle. But I like the idea of moving it forward or elevating it.

Is the amp or receiver under him warm? Maybe he is just enjoying the heat, and moving that will move him.

Yes, there is an Arcam AVR-300 under him and it does get pretty toasty. I need to figure out a way to wire up a quiet computer type fan to it to blow the warm air up and out the back and help cool it. I already have a couple 12v fans to use for that out of a computer case.

slide the speaker forwards then the cat will fall off the edge ..job done ..maybe wear thick gloves to do this .

Put some aluminum foil or double-sided tape where the cat wants to lie down. Another option would be to get a warm cat bed and/or a "cat tree" type of perch. A lot of cats like to be elevated, and they all like to be warm.

I'd rather have cats around than most humans.
I'd bet they could drive better than most humans too.
So glad I'm a pod.

Back
Top Bottom