My cat blocks my center channel!

Can you mount the speaker on the wall about a foot above where it is now? I think this would improve overall sound quality because the voices come from the center channel. I doubt if your cat would feel secure enough to sleep on such a small, elevated surface. (I would still try to find studs just in case.) Then, I would put a towel in the area where he used to sleep. My cats are naturally attracted to towels and small blankets for sleeping. (By the way, your cat is very cute.)

It's more than likely the heat from the components below why that spot was deemed a good place to park.

Glue some 40 grit sandpaper to a backer board and set that in front of the speaker?

Make sure you show the critter what to expect once you've redecorated ...

There is a song on an old Pink Floyd album that has very clear dog barking and howling. It makes the cats scatter and my dog bark when ever I play it.

Do you have the sound of a vacuum cleaner recorded? :D
That gets my vote. That, and attach an old vacuum hose in the spot where kitteh lays... :D

I think I would be more worried about cat hair and dander getting into the components below. That is why (aside from joking about the vacuum cleaner idea) I would try to discourage kitty laying up there, or near the components.

I am using a 5.1 surround system. Ever since setting this up my cat loves to lay in front of the center channel. The volume does not seem to matter to him. However, him and all his fur are blocking my sound. I don't want to lay a bunch of thumbtacks or anything in front of it. Any ideas?

View attachment 842195

Like someone said, you can get him one of those heated electric pet pads. You could also just surrender and use the "phantom" center channel setting :dunno:

Get a dog? Actually, that probably won't work. Our cat rules over the dogs. And one is a German shepherd.

I have two turntables in front of the tv, off to the sides of the center channel speaker. The cat sleeps on one or the other TT, so the speaker is in the clear.

I think many have overlooked the obvious, yourself included. If the feline is more than ten years old, he's either starting to or has lost a fair degree of his hearing. Or, if he's been that close to the speaker, this too has played a factor in his loss of being able to hear.

So, you have but two options. Either look into whether some hearing appliance (hearing aid) is available or go to the option of offering captions on your TV so he can enjoy whatever you both are viewing.:biggrin:

I hope that you realize that all this has been written with "tongue in cheek", right?

Q

Back
Top Bottom