My cat doesn´t like classical music

Judas Priest

Since I listen to 99% Classical music now, instead of Rock and Metal, I´ve noticed that my favorite cat doesn´t like it.

He had no problem with Rock/Metal, but when I listen to classical, he walks around with his ears turned back and looks around the room.

It´s probably because of the dynamics. Rock is always loud, and the sudden peaks of Classical seem to disturb him.

Ever notice anything similar with your pets?

Could just be a certain frequency. I've got a parrot that will shake his head if you whistle at a certain pitch, even at a low volume.

I've always thought it odd that I could be playing music at nearly concert levels and my dog(s) would be sound asleep on the floor in front of the speakers but then jump up, run to the window and bark at someone shutting a car door across the street.

Back in '08, there was a neighborhood cat who used to visit us everyday. He would come into the music and listen with me as long as I was NOT playing rock or metal. Jazz, classical, easy listening, folk, country, you name it, it was fine with him. ANY kind of rock and he'd leave. Figuring that he probably didn't like the distorted guitar, I tried some 50s and early 60s rock like Chuck Berry, Richie Valens, The Ventures, Beach Boys, etc. He still didn't like it. So, something about rock 'n' roll just bothered this cat.

The 2 cats I had 3 years ago pretended not to pay attention to what I listened to or watched except that the girl would watch the Saw movies very intently. She paid real close attention to Det. Hoffman. I know they liked Tejano though. I woke up to it in the middle of the night a couple of times and there was the girl atop the bedroom receiver with her paw on the tuning controls.

2014-11-30 15.01.04.jpg
That's the girl on top.

I've always thought it odd that I could be playing music at nearly concert levels and my dog(s) would be sound asleep on the floor in front of the speakers but then jump up, run to the window and bark at someone shutting a car door across the street.
Yeah! If you can figure out, you're good!

The little guy seems to be getting used to it. Now he lays relaxed near me while I listen.

Or he just preferrs Beethoven´s String Quartetts to Paganini :)

My dog, a half breed great dane, rescued from the street, is really into Opera.
When I brought him into the house he was glued onto me and never left my side. At that time I was organizing the listening room and as I had just received an interesting lot of 20 BASF Chromdioxid C120 in a case I was also going through them and listening each one of them. They were mix tapes with classical music but mainly opera. He would sit on the carpet, by the loudspeaker, for hours as I shuffled things around, changed tapes and occasionally sat down with him.

I suspect that he correlated the safe haven in our house, ending his rough winter out alone, wet and hungry with the music that was on for hours while he rested safe, dry and warm. Since then, whenever I put on an aria, he sits down calmly enjoying.

Problem is I am also a fan of Bruce Springsteen. But whenever I put this music on, he just walks out and leaves the room.
IMG__49717.JPG

Well, cats are creatures of habit.
Eurocats%20Mascot.gif

Years ago I picked up for 50c a mint, sealed, audiophile record of someone I'd never heard of, playing some type of atmospheric music and figured I'd give it a listen. I sat down in my chair to listen and immediately thought 'this stuff is truly horrible' although the recording was fantastic.

My cat, a beautiful Birman who had been downstairs in the garage came flying up the timber staircase, streaked across the loungeroom floor and launched herself straight up 4ft, and landed on the spinning turntable- claws down! The arm flew up and she was gone, back down the stairs in a split second. I was horrified, but there was absolutely no damage to the TT, the arm or the V15 IIIMR.

The record however was totally trashed with deep trios of claw marks. I didn't care- it was funny actually. She had never done anything like that before, or since.

She had great taste in music.

Last edited:
Years ago I picked up for 50c a mint, sealed, audiophile record of someone I'd never heard of, playing some type of atmospheric music and figured I'd give it a listen. I sat down in my chair to listen and immediately thought 'this stuff is truly horrible' although the recording was fantastic.

My cat, a beautiful Birman who had been downstairs in the garage came flying up the timber staircase, streaked across the loungeroom floor and launched herself straight up 4ft, and landed on the spinning turntable- claws down! The arm flew up and she was gone, back down the stairs in a split second. I was horrified, but there was absolutely no damage to the TT, the arm or the V15 IIIMR.

The record however was totally trashed with deep trios of claw marks. I didn't care- it was funny actually. She had never done anything like that before, or since.

She had great taste in music.

Yeah, I can't listen to Xene Cervenka either. ; )

Back
Top Bottom