My College Apartment (I've Been Waiting for This!)

ahrubesh

After a few months of eagerly anticipating moving into my new apartment at school, I was FINALLY able to take pictures of my sound system I have, set up EXACTLY the way I want it!

So, let's get started!

IMG_2706.jpg

This is my living room. Pretty simple, but I absolutely love the set-up. Everything is cozy and fit's well together, and the best part of it all is that there are NO CABLES SHOWING! At least, hardly any. It's great.

IMG_2707.jpg

Close-up of my JBL L60Ts. They're beautiful, and can really pump up the fun when we have people over.

IMG_2708.jpg

(If you can see in the picture, that's MY reflection in the TV. Yes, I am a girl! As if you couldn't tell by the decorations, right?) These seem to be the favorite of my speakers, but I really don't think people understand that flat sound is best. These are certainly not flat, but they do sound great with my other speakers, which are...

IMG_2709.jpg

...My Marantz HD-550s. These are my most prized possession I own at the moment. They are definitely my favorite of the two sets I own. They were given to me by my dad, who bought them brand new, a very long time ago.

IMG_2710.jpg

They sound great placed where they are. Certainly "bookshelf" speakers. At first, I originally wanted to place them on the ground with the JBLs on the outside of them, but they ended up on top of the bookshelves due to space limitations, and that's a much better place for them.

IMG_2711.jpg

Finally, my equipment. In order from top to bottom:
JVC JL-F30 Turntable
JVC XL-M505 CD Player
JVC JA-S44 Amplifier
JVC KD-85 Tape Deck
JVC JT-V77 Tuner

IMG_2712.jpg

I am not a fan of the tape 2 output cord coming out of the front, but I don't have a choice until I buy another splitter. Otherwise, it works great for when people come over and want to hook up their iPod. My friends and roommates share music frequently. My dad gave me the amplifier and tape deck, since they were his, and I added the turntable and CD player, and my boyfriend bought me the matching tuner. There are also LED lights inside the cabinet that change colors. Great for parties!

IMG_2713.jpg

Some of my music; certainly not all, there are CDs on the other bookshelf. There are over 250 tapes, and all of the LPs on the left are mine, and on the right are my roommates. He needs more, don't you all think?

IMG_2714.jpg

Just for fun; I had to show a picture of my sweet, baby turtle. She's a year old, and the cutest thing. I don't think she likes my audio setup, but I don't think she has much of a choice.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. This is my absolute biggest pride & joy, and I have been anticipating taking pictures for the longest time now. Thanks for looking!

Very nice. I can tell you the places I was staying at while in school never looked anything close to your beautiful space.

From a fellow college student, that's a heck of a system. Love the silver face JVC gear. I like your listening space a lot too... it seems cozy

Last edited:
very nice system and listening/chill space! do you have a chair that faces the speakers? some people can listen off-center, but it drives me crazy! i LOVE the huge meters on your amp! for intense listening sessions i would move your JBLs out to form an equal-lateral triangle with your listening position. you may find this to be the best "upgrade" you can buy. :D

I am not a fan of using unmatched pairs of speakers simultaneously, but if you like it. :thmbsp:

very nice system and listening/chill space! do you have a chair that faces the speakers? some people can listen off-center, but it drives me crazy! i LOVE the huge meters on your amp! for intense listening sessions i would move your JBLs out to form an equal-lateral triangle with your listening position. you may find this to be the best "upgrade" you can buy. :D

I am not a fan of using unmatched pairs of speakers simultaneously, but if you like it. :thmbsp:

Thanks so much! Once we get the TV on it's own shelf and off of resting on the JBLs, I may play with the angles of them. Also, There is a chair on the back wall that I didn't take a picture of that is in the middle of the sound channel. I can definitely notice a difference between sitting there and sitting on the couch!

And thank you to everyone else too! I really appreciate the feedback, it took a lot of hard work and 3 weeks to perfect, but it's finally done and I am SO happy & proud of it!

of course the triangle thing is not scripture, a little tweaking is always recommended.

thanks for letting us know that audio-ladies exist!

happy listening! :music:

System

Girl your on the right track! :banana:
Very nice setup and you have very good taste but that should be expected since you are a female.:yes:
The place looks very relaxing and enjoyable, plus add the 'sounds', way to go!:music:

Nice sytem, welcome to AK! I have to say I almost teared up reading your text, it reminded me so much of my own daughter, far away in NYC. Glad you're enjoying your vintage gear!

Very cool setup (cute turtle too!) and like others have posted, it is nice to see the ladies getting into the hobby too! :thmbsp:

Very nice set-up and love the decor! Way to go with the JBL's/JVC set-up! Turtles are so cool. I had them as pets when I was a kid a long time ago :sigh: and wouldn't mind having them again. It looks like your doing everything right for sure! Enjoy! :thmbsp: :music:

and Welcome to AK!

I'd like to slap my kids - they was no way that clean back in college :bash:
But all I ever did was slap more money their way since they stayed trouble free.

Very nice (& clean) setup you have there. Does the speaker bumping cause the fish to jump? :para:

VERY nice setup ahrubes, some of that gear looks mighty familiar! :D I can't wait to come down and listen to it and get my room all squared away as well. Youre definately gonna have to help me decorate my room. (yes we know each other). I can tell your room is definately gonna be a lot cleaner than mine and sound better too. You have some awesome equipment and I'm very jealous. :music:

Nice setups you have there. As a JVC fan I truly like the gear, especially the amp.

Rome

Turtles are rad.

Nice setup, I could only dream about stuff like that when I was in college!

I'd like to slap my kids - they was no way that clean back in college :bash:
But all I ever did was slap more money their way since they stayed trouble free.

Very nice (& clean) setup you have there. Does the speaker bumping cause the fish to jump? :para:

The fish actually aren't phased by the music, I think they are mostly used to it by now. However, the turtle constantly swims around when it's on, so I do know they have to be aware of it!

Back
Top Bottom