My Current College System

ThePlague

Hello all, I thought I was share my current system as its nearing the level of quality I want it to be at. Only thing left is to either go tube, or get separates instead of the Pioneer receiver.
As for the components we have:

-Pioneer SX-750 that is holding together surprisingly well given its daily use
-Nakamichi BX-300 w/full service
-AR-XA turntable w/Shure V15 Type III - Jico SAS stylus
-Polk Audio Monitor 10s
-Pioneer DT-400
-Advent 201 (Just cause)

Everything works fantastic and I am really enjoying the sound, especially from metal cassette tapes. I still experience subsonic rumble from my turntable, I had it on my previous one as well. For some reason the SX-750 neglected the subsonic filter option. Someday I'll sort that out.
IMG_5155.JPG

I wish I had your system during my university days. :beerchug:And I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Nice setup :thumbsup:

Is your turntable isolated from the unit it is sat on ? Personally, I would look at that and maybe getting it away from the speakers (if possible). There's a bit of wall space above it, how about a shelf there ?

Nice system--especially on a college budget!!! For rumble issues (without a subsonic filter option on your gear), you can use one of these http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/index_files/Page384.htm it is an in-line crossover/filter. Use the line in and high pass out--low cut frequency can be set at 20, 25, 30 or 35 Hz. I have separates, so I use mine between the preamp and amplifiers--in your case, you could put it in a tape loop or remove the jumpers between the pre and amplifier section and install it there. I have mine set at 25 Hz and works effectively. I would not recommend using it directly between the TT and phono input because of the low signal level and possible impedance and capacitance effects (and I don't know if realistically would be any, but I'd stay on the safe-side).

Good Luck!!!

I wish I had your system during my university days. :beerchug:And I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

I got a bit spoiled with finding most of this on the cheap from family/thrift stores. The most expensive item (at least what I paid) was the Jico SAS stylus. It sounds fantastic, I just have to be careful I don't bother the neighbors too much.

Simply awesome. A little sub sonic rumble, eh... There are worse things. Good luck with the studies.

I'm trying my best with the studies, sometimes I get distracted and fiddle with the stereo for hours though. It goes both ways haha.

Nice setup :thumbsup:

Is your turntable isolated from the unit it is sat on ? Personally, I would look at that and maybe getting it away from the speakers (if possible). There's a bit of wall space above it, how about a shelf there ?

It is not currently, I need to look into fixing that. I'm not sure what would be the best solution for feet for the AR. I would put a shelf, however I would prefer not to make big holes in the apartment. Not worth it for a bit of rumble to be honest.

Nice system--especially on a college budget!!! For rumble issues (without a subsonic filter option on your gear), you can use one of these http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/index_files/Page384.htm it is an in-line crossover/filter. Use the line in and high pass out--low cut frequency can be set at 20, 25, 30 or 35 Hz. I have separates, so I use mine between the preamp and amplifiers--in your case, you could put it in a tape loop or remove the jumpers between the pre and amplifier section and install it there. I have mine set at 25 Hz and works effectively. I would not recommend using it directly between the TT and phono input because of the low signal level and possible impedance and capacitance effects (and I don't know if realistically would be any, but I'd stay on the safe-side).

Good Luck!!!

I will look into this more if getting some feet doesn't solve the issue. I have been looking for an affordable subsonic filter, but didn't find one until now! My other option was buying those inline ones that are preset (just a cap and resistor with two females ends).

Overall, as it is currently, would the amp be the "weakest link" in the system? I personally would love to get into the SA series someday or even SPEC gear if I had the money.

Overall, as it is currently, would the amp be the "weakest link" in the system? I personally would love to get into the SA series someday or even SPEC gear if I had the money.

IMO--those Polks could certainly sound better with more power: however, being in an apartment, I'm not so sure your neighbors would appreciate my sentiments. Unless you are a committed Pioneer "fanboy", there are a lot of options out there for more power and equivalent or better sound quality. Tubes are probably out of the question for budgetary concerns, since 100 wpc tube amps are not cheap--even on the used market.

As for the SX vs SA vs SPEC series--I have played with a lot of the SX series, am not all that familiar with the entire SA series, and have heard tons of SPEC gear. At one point, a friend of mine had an SX-1250, SX-1950 and SX-1980. We auditioned all three (same room, same speakers, same source), and concluded that the SX-1250 was the best sounding--even up against the much revered SX-1980--which he eventually sold (for an absurd amount of money) to fund his SPEC system project. At one point I contemplated setting up an entire SPEC system, as they are beautiful to look at, but ultimately (IMO) are better looking than they are sounding, for the money, so I went with other options.

Again--Good Luck!!!

I had a pair of those Polk's, thought they would handle a high current amp and sadly they did not and the woofers smoked. I think they are better suited for a lower output power amp/receiver with decent dynamic headroom. Nice system!

IMO--those Polks could certainly sound better with more power: however, being in an apartment, I'm not so sure your neighbors would appreciate my sentiments. Unless you are a committed Pioneer "fanboy", there are a lot of options out there for more power and equivalent or better sound quality. Tubes are probably out of the question for budgetary concerns, since 100 wpc tube amps are not cheap--even on the used market.

As for the SX vs SA vs SPEC series--I have played with a lot of the SX series, am not all that familiar with the entire SA series, and have heard tons of SPEC gear. At one point, a friend of mine had an SX-1250, SX-1950 and SX-1980. We auditioned all three (same room, same speakers, same source), and concluded that the SX-1250 was the best sounding--even up against the much revered SX-1980--which he eventually sold (for an absurd amount of money) to fund his SPEC system project. At one point I contemplated setting up an entire SPEC system, as they are beautiful to look at, but ultimately (IMO) are better looking than they are sounding, for the money, so I went with other options.

Again--Good Luck!!!

I don't know that they need anymore power to be honest. I had the Pioneer at half volume and blew the fuses on them. And that is on 55wpc. I'm not married to Pioneer for the amp. I got this one for 20 bucks and haven't found anything better to replace it with that I could afford. So I haven't heard anything else and I just don't know what brands I would like. I enjoy the warm sound that Pioneer has. I am very partial to silver faced amps though.

I had a pair of those Polk's, thought they would handle a high current amp and sadly they did not and the woofers smoked. I think they are better suited for a lower output power amp/receiver with decent dynamic headroom. Nice system!

I agree with that as I mentioned above when I blew the fuses. At least I didn't destroy the woofers, can't imagine they are cheap to replace.

those speakers are awesome. if you haven't done already, replacing the caps is a necessity. I did it in my monitor 7's, it made a big difference.

those speakers are awesome. if you haven't done already, replacing the caps is a necessity. I did it in my monitor 7's, it made a big difference.

I have not. When replacing capacitors for speakers, what are the best brands to go with? I don't know much about audio grade caps.

Sonicap Gen 1's are recommended over at the polk forum, but they can be expensive, I used carity px and dayton's

Pioneer DT-400 ... Wake your ass up in the morning so you're not late for class!

Nice system, I had almost the same Pioneer receiver in my dorm room back in 84. Turn it up!

Back
Top Bottom