My Current College System

I think Polk Monitor 10s were the first Polk speakers I ever heard. I was very impressed with them, so I understand why you like them.

Seems the SX750 should provide all the power you would need in a dorm room, even at high volume. My "listening room" (aka: bedroom) is 12'X24' feet and my SX750 never failed to drive even inefficient speakers quite loud. Volume-wise, I can't tell any difference between my SX750 and SX980.

GeeDeeEmm

Sweet system! I have some Monitor 10s myself and love them. :thumbsup:

Go solid state separates, those speakers love power!

Sonicap Gen 1's are recommended over at the polk forum, but they can be expensive, I used carity px and dayton's

Thank you for the insight. I will add that to the list of upgrades to do when I have some funds!

LOVE IT! I have always been fond of those pioneer receivers they sound fantastic! Good for you!

They definitely do the job! I'm definitely leaning towards going to SS or Tube separates though.

Pioneer DT-400 ... Wake your ass up in the morning so you're not late for class!

Nice system, I had almost the same Pioneer receiver in my dorm room back in 84. Turn it up!

I use it more to fall asleep and not have to worry about running these "energy efficient" beasts all night haha. Pioneer definitely works well on a budget!

Nice work. What speaker stands are those? Did you find those separate from the speakers?

I'm not entirely sure. They came with the speakers and as far as I know, they were the OEM stands for these speakers in the 90s.

Great looking system. Enjoy!

Thank you!

Very nice set up college dorm or not. So any of your friends get it?

I mean it does not say "Beats" any where.

Just so you know there is no cure for this affliction. :beatnik:

Some do actually! I've converted my roommate and he has some Pioneer Elite gear and a nice Pioneer TT. No cassette deck though, can't quite convince him.

I think Polk Monitor 10s were the first Polk speakers I ever heard. I was very impressed with them, so I understand why you like them.

Seems the SX750 should provide all the power you would need in a dorm room, even at high volume. My "listening room" (aka: bedroom) is 12'X24' feet and my SX750 never failed to drive even inefficient speakers quite loud. Volume-wise, I can't tell any difference between my SX750 and SX980.

GeeDeeEmm

I doubt I'll never need anything over 50 ish watts per channel to be honest. Thats why I am really interested in finding a good set of tube gear. I really enjoy the simplicity of tubes.

Sweet system! I have some Monitor 10s myself and love them. :thumbsup:

Go solid state separates, those speakers love power!

They may love the power, but I don't think my ears nor my neighbors across the street would love it! haha

I will look into this more if getting some feet doesn't solve the issue. I have been looking for an affordable subsonic filter, but didn't find one until now! My other option was buying those inline ones that are preset (just a cap and resistor with two females ends).

Overall, as it is currently, would the amp be the "weakest link" in the system? I personally would love to get into the SA series someday or even SPEC gear if I had the money.

The way I got about this is by getting a more modern receiver which actually has a subwoofer pre-out. this way you can also use a modern sub woofer with a passive crossover and have it not affect the rest of your system. This may or may not appeal to you of course. Something like my Onkyo TX-SR602 (or TX-SR702) looks nice has that silver face look and has all the modern stuff you would want and it has a PHONO stage also, on the 702 with enough power to power practically anything.

Back
Top Bottom