My current listening experience......subject to change anytime of course

stereoguy70

Thought I'd share what my current setup is. So, what we have below is an AR XA turntable, completely stock, no mods, electronically restored I guess you could say, with a Stanton 500EE cartridge.
Below that is a Realistic tape selector box, an Advent 100 noise reduction unit, a late production Advent 300 receiver (completely gone through), an Advent 100 cassette deck, a Realistic CD-1200 cd player from 1985, and a Heathkit 8-track player from the early 1970's. Below that is a library card file box that I utilize for cassette tape storage. This rack is to the left of my TV stand. To the right of the TV stand is a small bookcase where on top of it lives a Viking Stereo 88 reel-to-reel tape deck. Flanking all of this in both corners of the room are double stacked Advent/3 speakers.
I live in a small apartment and this seems to be loud enough to get me into trouble with the neighbors on occasion ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention the patch cable into the AUX port of the Advent 300 for my iPod Classic....
Yup, pretty much all commercial media types can be played with this setup
14859872_10207681150808968_2652478552943615035_o.jpg 14890567_10207681152129001_5940892129473322059_o.jpg 14918968_10207681154769067_7140732854309059129_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments everyone. It was a long road to collect all of this gear to bring it back home to the area it came from in the first place. All has been purchased online and non of it was in New England when I bought it. Go figure! LOL!

That is very nice, very nice!

I had a Viking 88 for quite a while and I really enjoyed it.

Thank you, I managed to purchase that Vining from its original owner. Works great. He included the original manuals and even the original box! One of my best scores to date.

Nice to see so many Advent components in one system, they made more equipment than just great speakers.

I was trying to go for an all American made system as much as possible. I think I came pretty close ;) They did make a lot more than speakers and projection screen televisions. Matter of fact I just scored an Advent equalizer (super rare, only one I've ever come across!)....can't wait for that to show up! :)

Well.....as the title says: "Subject to change"....:p

So, here are the changes......I swapped out one pair of Advent/3 speakers for a pair of Original Large Advents, swapped out the Advent 300 receiver for the KLH Model Twenty-Seven receiver, moved the card file that holds the cassettes to a different location in the room for more space on the rack, moved the Advent 100 dolby unit down the rack and patched it in on ALL the tape decks by putting it in the signal path before all the tape decks and the switch box. (I switch out the dolby when using the Advent 201 cassette deck because it has its own dolby circuits naturally) I've also relocated the other pair of Advent/3 speakers to the back of the room....why? Not because of using them as "remote" speakers, but because I've added in a Dynaco QD-1 Quadaptor for the Hafler effect. I've been using this setup now for about a week and am thoroughly enjoying it. The large Advents go so much deeper in the bass department than the Advent/3s do, and the KLH just has a sweeter sound to me than the Advent 300 does......not that I don't enjoy the Advent 300, it has it's own merits that warrant keeping it around. :biggrin:
IM000610.JPG IM000612.JPG IM000613.JPG

I was trying to go for an all American made system as much as possible. I think I came pretty close ;) They did make a lot more than speakers and projection screen televisions. Matter of fact I just scored an Advent equalizer (super rare, only one I've ever come across!)....can't wait for that to show up! :)

Update of this Advent EQ. It came in and it worked well....used it for a few weeks. However I just couldn't get it to a setting that I liked overall. More of a hassle than it as worth.....so.....I parted ways with it.....was a neat, rare piece though......
s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Cool, fun. I have one of those KLH 27 receivers, but it is struggling a bit. Need to get it serviced.

Back
Top Bottom