My daughter wants Beats

Update! Was out looking for deals at our local indoor flea market over the weekend. There is this large store rumored to be owned by the Chinese mafia ?!?. I do know the people who run it come down by bus every week from NYC. Anyways they usually have a bunch of cheap junk, but some stuff is ok. I picked up some kitchen sponges and was paying for them and saw some Beats look alikes under the counter. I said to the wife "hey look they look like Beats". Well, the old guy behind the counter pulls out a set of Beats Studio earbuds new in the box and says try these. I didn't have anything to try them on but the looked like the real deal, right down to the packaging. For $10 they gotta be fakes but their darn good ones. I bought em', got em' home and tried them, they sound better than my Klipsch earbuds, going back on Saturday to pick up another pair for myself. Beats problem solved courtesy of the Chinese mafia.:D

i wonder what percentage pure lead those things are?? I tend to worry about Chinese manufacturing materials and practices when buying legit products...god knows what they do when making fakes?

.02 and possibly worth everybit ... but i'd be concerned, I'd make sure she knows what the deal is with these if you give them to her. Personally I'd be very torqued off if i found out someone knowingly gave me counterfeits as a gift after representing them as the real deal.

around here i have seen a lot of beats

but I have also seen a number of kids with things like Sony MDR-V6s / 7506's and ATH-M50's and some Senn's

kinda made me a bit happy to see a few kids at least bucking the beats trend and rocking something with great quality and sound.

The college girl i saw with 7506's the other day looked pretty dang kewl rocking the sony's I thought.

imho ...Your daughter might be missing a great opportunity to chose substance over style, I thing a boy rocking 7506's might just be seen a audiophile nerd...I think a girl making such a choice might just be seen as "Cool" as can be?

Last edited:
imho ...Your daughter might be missing a great opportunity to chose substance over style, I thing a boy rocking 7506's might just be seen a audiophile nerd...I girl making such a choice might just be seen as "Cool" as can be?

Only the daughter can make that decision. OP can't force it on her.

Only the daughter can make that decision. OP can't force it on her.

oh right good point...if the OP has a Guitar center nearby they will usually let you listen to headphones and they carry the ath-m50s and 7506's and other stuff. If his daughter was willing to take a listen and all.

Will you tell her they're knock offs? :scratch2:

Good question. First off looks like she may end up with a C+ for the semester. Do I reward a child who went from a 56 to a C+? If so it would put a end to the whole wanting Beats thing, assuming I do not tell her. Also if she destroys or loses them I am only out $10, remember she has a got a bad track record with electronics. She just dropped her Samsung tablet in the driveway the other day, I asked her where was the case? Her answer "At Mom's house". Don't get me wrong she is a good kid. The $139 saved can go in her college fund. On the other hand will I sleep at night?

Last edited:
This whole thread convinced me life is too short to not have the cans you want. I have a sweet pair of AKG-702s coming from the good 'ol USA to Australia as I type. (my AKG-500s are at the end of their physical life- but never missed a Beat (pun intended))

Could very well be, but that doesn't make them remotely the same thing. Component quality will vary and per cultural norm QC provided is proportional to the buyer's interest in and level of QC presence. If the buyer shows no interest then it's presumed run of the mill is what he wants. If the buyer has his QC people in the plant then it demonstrates the buyer wants and gets the good stuff. You see this in machinery frequently. The same cast iron castings and parts end up in machines that look nearly identical and have vast differences in quality.

My 2 cents:

eteller should go ahead and get the pseudo Beats for his daughter. He should wait until he sees the grade card, then give them to her no matter what grade she earns in math. He should say something to the effect, "I know you tried your best, and I love you".

Don't tell her they're knock-offs. Don't tell her they're the real McCoy. As far as the 'dishonesty', don't sweat it. 'Santa Claus' and 'babies being delivered by storks' have always been a part of our culture. Kids don't need to have accurate information 100% of the time...they actually need to be buffered to some degree.

If the sound quality is good enough for eteller, I'm sure it's good enough for his daughter. The other kids won't know the difference anyway.

My 2 cents:

eteller should go ahead and get the pseudo Beats for his daughter. He should wait until he sees the grade card, then give them to her no matter what grade she earns in math. He should say something to the effect, "I know you tried your best, and I love you".

Don't tell her they're knock-offs. Don't tell her they're the real McCoy. As far as the 'dishonesty', don't sweat it. 'Santa Claus' and 'babies being delivered by storks' have always been a part of our culture. Kids don't need to have accurate information 100% of the time...they actually need to be buffered to some degree.

If the sound quality is good enough for eteller, I'm sure it's good enough for his daughter. The other kids won't know the difference anyway.

So it's OK to be dishonest because you won't get caught?:sigh:

Don't have to be dishonest at all. Just don't mention it either way.

She wants the real Beats. You hand her something that looks like the real Beats. That is in no way "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

In other words, it is a lie.

Would you cheat on your wife and think it is OK because you didn't tell her or get caught?

She wants the real Beats. You hand her something that looks like the real Beats. That is in no way "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

In other words, it is a lie.

Would you cheat on your wife and think it is OK because you didn't tell her or get caught?

You mean to say you've never gone along with the Santa Claus deception?

Sexual infidelity is a pretty twisted analogy to apply regarding this, IMHO. I'm not recommending the OP embark on a crime spree either.

The whole truth? You don't know it, I don't know it...altogether we know a fraction of the whole truth.

You mean to say you've never gone along with the Santa Claus deception?

Yes, I have. Even as recently as a couple of years ago. Now you have me in a quandary!:scratch2: I'll have to go to my room and think about it.

Sexual infidelity is a pretty twisted analogy to apply regarding this, IMHO. I'm not recommending the OP embark on a crime spree either.

The lie about the Beats and the lie about cheating seem to me to be more personal (and therefore more hurtful) than the lie about Santa Claus. Like I said... a quandary. Remind me to not play chess with you.

The whole truth? You don't know it, I don't know it...altogether we know a fraction of the whole truth.

I just know that I wouldn't handle it that way.

Avoid the whole morale dilemna & buy her a decent Beats alternative: Noontec Zorro HD, Sol Republic Tracks HD, et al. Maybe she can start a positive trend with her friends :music:

Beats has got the audio world enraged and beaten! :D

The kids like Beats because of the bass, it is fashion and it is NOT CHEAP.

This has become The Parenting Network. Heard that Oprah and Queen Latifah are looking for help, feel free to apply. Or, maybe you guys will feel more comfy working for Rachel Ray!

OP - Do as your heart, conscience, intelligence, education, upbringing, wallet, and common sense tells you. You cannot be second guessing yourself over this, there are far more important things to worry about. There are kids with wealthy parents that don't get everything they ask for, and kids with not so wealthy parents that get anything they ask for. Life is full of all kinds of people, and everyone thinks their method is the best. At the end of the day everyone has a belly button, and everyone has to wipe their butt. Do as you seem fit, after all you are the parent, not us.

Back
Top Bottom