1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide..

Discussion in 'DIY' started by gotchaforce, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Don Da Jewla

Don Da Jewla Fuhgetaboutit!

Here is my finished project, took a couple of hours but I think they turned out pretty good:

[​IMG]

Have not had a chance to test these yet, waiting on new binding posts to come in.

Thanks.

2. Canare speaker wires

I'm working on my set of wires tonight, but forgot I don't have the 3/4" shrink tubing. To be continued tomorrow. But that is one of the best tutorials, thank you.

3. RETRODISKO

RETRODISKO Member

Im curious to know what gauge is recomended for speaker cables, i have a mac 4100 receiver that delivers 80 watts per channel aprox the distance its only about 2 mts each cable
    ... i have used regular speaker cable from Home depot but im curious about trying outdoor speakers with insulation and connectors similar of the photos shown (im not able to invest on expensive cables for now)

I understand that a thick cable will dismiss and disipate signal, and a thin cable its also not proper,

what you guys can recomend me about this?

4. LocknLoad

LocknLoad New Member

I'd like to thank Gotchaforce - the OP on this thread - for the outstanding post and tutorial. Did my own with Canare wire from BlueJeans Cable and dark purple Techflex - I'll post a picture if I get a chance. Most of all I'd like to say, while most of the posts are centered around what the new cables LOOK like - the cables completed sound terrific. Yea yea I know, lamp cord sounds the same... baloney. What I assembled sound considerably better than what I was using - some monster cable - the increased bass defination was noticeable immediately. And I was thinking I'd just have some cool looking cables that I put together - thanks again!

5. jleaman

jleaman New Member

My first post :) thought i would share my cable's that i hand made. This is Silver Teflon wire, i buy it on ebay from a member called navships. VERY nice wire, i love it..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mofi

Mofi New Member

jleaman, Very nice looking wires!! Can you give us some more details about your creation? Wire gauge? Did you buy the twisted pairs or twist them and then braid them your self? Solid core or stranded? That eBay seller does have some nice looking products. Thanks for the heads-up!!

7. jleaman

jleaman New Member

its about 1.5 hours PER cable :) i hand braided them witch is hard because you have to keep all 3 pairs in line, you can't cross them wrong or you will see it in the pattern.

It's silver teflon wire from navships on ebay. I love this stuff, hard to work with but sounds awesome..

I used to make sets for people, but i stopped..

8. Dr. Morbius

Dr. Morbius I.N.T.E.R.O.C.I.T.O.R.

Here are some DIY cables I made a few months back. Each wire is 12 gauge silver plated Teflon coated military grade wire.

These are actually red and black, but the camera flash makes them look orangeish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. vinylvalet

vinylvalet New Member

10. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

That's very similar to what I made for my "carputer" system...
    I used Cat5 Ethernet cable...same single core, Teflon shielded and braided...
    [​IMG]

For my $40 JVC A-S5 and $5, 18AWG speaker wire, I did this...
    [​IMG]

This is just to keep my ears happy til I find my MkIII toobs!

11. Machineghost

Machineghost Ghost in the machine

Braided speaker cables has a higher capacitance than seperate cable runs.

12. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

Yup... You don't want them too long. Mine are about 3.5ft

13. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

Noticed lots of mil spec, silver plated, solid copper, Teflon insulated wire in various AWG's on eBay. Hmmmm...
    And relatively cheap!

Sent from my iPhone...

14. Dave C

Dave C Super Member

I made these CAT5 wires a couple years ago, I love them.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

15. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

Interesting...
    Are those individually shielded pairs or...?

16. Dave C

Dave C Super Member

They are 6 CAT5 cables pared up and then braided flat. All the dark colors grouped and all the light colors grouped. That was a lot of work getting the ends to lay right and fit the plugs. I had some big Monster cable before these and the difference in sound was apparent the minute I heard the first few notes of music. Measuring capacitance with my meter, there is very close to zero. The Monster cables capacitance will change depending on how they lay out. My 300B SET amp thread is also on the DIY forum and you can learn about my speaker mods over on the Klipsch forum.

17. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

Not sure I follow you...
    I see 3X pair braided, in individual jacketing...?
    Did you jacket them yourself?
    How many single strands in each blue jacket?
    Look great BTW

18. Dave C

Dave C Super Member

CAT5 cable has 4 twisted pairs in the blue sheath. I used 6 sheaths of CAT5 so I have 24 twisted pairs. Each twisted pair has a dark and a light wire. All the dark wires are joined at the ends and all light wires are joined at the ends. You end up with 2 groups of 24 conductors at each end to assemble into banana plugs or what have you.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

19. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

Ahhh...CAT5 is different...it has a pair in each sheath that isn't teflon insulated...so I separated all the pairs and braided without the jacket (for my car)
    [​IMG]

20. Dave C

Dave C Super Member

At this point I may take my speakers apart and do all the hookups with a similar setup.
    It seems to work very nice and is very affordable!