My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide..

Discussion in 'DIY' started by gotchaforce, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

What Klipsch's are u running? I have recapped KG4's with Crites Ti tweets...
    I also made RCA's using CAT5...just a double twisted pair. Sounds great!

2. Dave C

Dave C Super Member

3. Msas

Msas AK Subscriber Subscriber

Belden 5T00P vs Canare 4s11

Can anyone comment on the comparison between the Belden 5000 series cable and the Canare 4S11 cables from Blue Jeans Cable? Before i purchase one of them and all the accessories i'd like to know how well either of these cables sound, especially compared to more expensive cable brands.

Recently i built a some Cat5 cables using the 2pr twisted method (4 cables total) and gave them a listen on my friends 'reference' system where he uses expensive Audioquest cables. The audible difference was immediately noticeable, the Cat5 seemed to shrink the soundstage and take away some of the lower end. They really were shamed by the Audioquest cables.

If anyone has opinions on the BJC cables i would love to hear them!

Thanks

4. Wungun

Wungun Active Member

When you say "4 cables", and 2 pair, do you mean 4 individually shielded wires, or 4 X 8 individual wires?
    They might need some "run in" time...and if you're using just 4 individually shielded wires per speaker, that just might not be enough AWG to power the low-end.

5. Msas

Msas AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

I'm going to attempt these using some Belden 1313A. Will advise how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

They turned out okay, the next set will be better.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoryS06 likes this.
  8. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease New Member

Can you please sort out the images? Some of them aren't showing.

9. firebug

firebug New Member

I was looking at the DIY pro audio interconnect thread in the cutting edge forum and while I was pricing them out, it seemed to make sense to try speaker cables to push a couple orders in to free shipping.

Now I've ordered a bunch of parts.

All the cable I ordered is Canare. I'm thinking about getting some Belden 14-3 for power cords.

I love locking connectors so I ordered locking bananas and RCAs from GLS Audio. They are inexpensive but look good and I couldn't find any real complaints about GLS connectors except one guy saying GLS XLR connectors are pot metal Neutrik copies but not describing any type of failure or deficiency in the GLS parts. Any way, the RCAs and bananas are gold plated brass and anodized aluminum, nowhere to hide pot metal in that...

Only one more order to make for the cable pants, heat shrink and braid.

I even decided to go above and beyond and bought a Dymo Rhino 4200 labler and a roll of heat shrink tube label. I think it will work out much cheaper than the custom printing options Ive seen and I can personalize.

For my first speaker cable I'm going to use Canare 4S8 cable which is 16-4 star quad. When conductors are paired its equivalent to 13 gauge wire which should be plenty for the 2 meter cables I have planned. Overall diameter with braid should be just over 10mm and should be a slight squeeze in to the 10mm cable pants I found.

Any way its just one more project for me but I hope they come out looking as good as the cables Ive seen on here.

10. william13

william13 That's not me

I do not have a hot knife. What is best way to cut tech flex and keep it from unraveling?

11. cubiclecrush

cubiclecrush Well-Known Member

Way back on page 1 this is addressed:

12. dfunghi

dfunghi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Gotcha DIY?

I am missing all the images and can not seem to follow without them. There are myriad recipes for DIY speaker cables but these look easy (relatively) to make, inexpensive and sound great. I do not wish to do the moonshine ones (yet). Does anyone know where I might find this tutorial that is so well received in its entirety?
    TIA
    -D

13. police_50

police_50 Member

Did it again...
    IMGP0793.JPG

CoryS06 and wgb113 like this.
  14. -Bobo-

-Bobo- Member

Can you guys share some projects with DIY Cables?