My dream speaker - RS1b

Finished the wainscot but have not gotten a chance to listen yet with all the activities in the family. The 3rd picture is the corner. I have few pieces (16"x48") Roxul left that I plan to strap into a similarly sized quarter inch plywood as bass trap for that corner.

I also have built couple shielded power-cords which I will try with the DAC, active crossover, and preamp first. Will post some pics later on.

Geoff, I have one built for your testing, just have not gotten a chance to send it for your evaluation yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 71
What are you doing?

Hi many blessings. If may ask, what are you doing? The beginnings of this thread talked about the RS-1b. Now, you are talking about what? You have bought a variety of Infinity speakers...Good for you.

And it is nice to know you made your room pretty. Kudos!

So what about the music? I sent you some ideas... some music to listen to.I am sure you got a lot of other ideas from other people...

You said you have never listened to live music... you are so involved in the technology.

Maybe what your original statement said was to say that your boss wanted you to wake up!

Not to just have a new hobby.

Just sayin...

Marv

Hello Spokane540iA.

I am not sure that I understand the questions that you asked. However, let me try to answer my best.

If you asked me what I want to achieve by dabbling in audio, then the answer is very simple. I want to experience myself what others have experienced in their journeys, and find out what is true and what is not so true, at least for me. Then share that experience as others have done. I got curious when people talked about depth, sound stage, dynamics, how room matters, etc, and I want to test and know myself what they are talking about. I read a lot about the controversy on cables and interconnects, and that is what I am investigating now. Still, many have talked about recapping, sealing the cabinets, litz cable, etc and those are what I would like to try next. I simply love trying new things and doing things with my hands.

I got into audio for two reasons. First, to find a hobby and second to remember my dad who had since passed away. We did not get along very well, especially during the latter stage of his life, and audio was likely the one of the very few that we had in common. Few of the regrets in my life that I did not get into audio early enough so that we could have better conversational pieces. I focus only on infinity speakers as that was the brand that my dad spent most of his audio time with. Thinking about it now, it may be a subconscious way for me to remember the memory of him.

If you asked me about the kind of music that I like, then I focus mostly on cultural folk songs and some classics. I bought the stereophile CD (#2) that you suggested and I have used it to do tests on the RS-2b's. That is an excellent CD.

Though I read a lot, I am not an audio expert and certainly not an audiophile by any standard, thus cannot offer any meaningful suggestion beyond just casual comments. I just like knowing more people and meeting more friends here at AK. There is one comment, I believe from tedrick, who stated that the journey is half the fun. I found this to be very very true for me.

I hope that I have answered your questions.

Hello All:

Hope things are well with all of you. I have not done much audio in the past 2 years as I was trying to finish the house. Now, that the inside is completed, I may have sometime this summer to finish the 2nd pair of the RS-1b's. The panels were in bad shape and I repaired quite a few cracks (glue and finish screws). I already gathered all the emims, emits, crossovers, etc. All is ready except the finishing work. Last year, I learned how to do piano black finish on a grand piano - and that is an option that I can consider for this pair. However, my gut feel is to go completely funky and use black textured paint with stripes of gold sparkles, and then put on clear coats.

I also recently dusted off the RS-2b's and set them up in an upstairs living room. I found that one of the fuse holder was missing. Any suggestion on how to replace it? One option that I am considering is to 3D-print it, using the geometries that I can measure from the other holders.

Unrelated questions: This new AK forum - is this hosted by the SalesForce community cloud? So much better than the previous one.

Will post pictures when I made some progress.

Back
Top Bottom