My early Sony ES system

bberkom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A few months ago, I managed to purchase a complete Sony system on craigslist. Included was a TA-1120A integrated amplifier, SS-3300 speakers, a PS-3000 turntable, and ST-5000F tuner, all purchased in 1970 or 1971. I even got the original paperwork and the folding dust cover for the turntable. The seller was a teacher on Guam for a few years and worked in a Japanese electronics shop during a Summer where he'd bought them. He'd hauled this stuff around the country with him for 45 years!

IMG_5758.JPGIMG_5756.JPGIMG_5754.JPGIMG_5753.JPG

Here is it all set up in our main living area, minus the tuner, for which I am still trying to find the right space. My wife is cool enough to let me get away with this, but those speakers aren't sticking out quite as far as it looks like in the pictures... The entertainment center is heavy solid maple that I built a few years ago now.

The amp puts 35 wpc into the 16 ohm, 98db sensitive speakers, and it's a combo I enjoy every day. I often chase my dog out of the room with these speakers. I asked the seller if he'd want to come hear it again once restored, and we are still trying to work out a time for him to come see it. I hope he can make it by some time since the stuff obviously meant a lot to him. The speakers and amp needed a good bit of work, but that just makes it all the more satisfying to hear them every day.

I had the opportunity to hear this system. It sounds awesome, and it is visually stunning! bberkom has done an fantastic job restoring it.

That tonearm looks like it's up for some serious work!
Is it 12" long?
What cartridge are you using?

When I heard the system, it was a Grado cartridge, but I think he now has a Shure V15 on there (not sure what type) with an SAS stylus. bberkom, correct me if i'm wrong.

It is the long PUA-286 tonearm (286 mm, approx 12 in. long), and I am using a V15 type III with an SAS stylus. I liked how the grado sounded (red stylus), but the shure is much more detailed and balanced and tracks very well on this table. I still plan to rebuild the servo control for the turntable, but it holds speed well as is. I even have the folding dust cover, but it's missing the snaps that hold it together. So that's on the list as well.

It all was very well taken care of, which made the restoration a lot easier. I had to track down new tweeters for both speakers, which could luckily be found in some fairly common Sansui speakers, then the speakers got a recap. They had these massive crossovers with big PIO can caps, but replacing them with dayton poly's improved the sound greatly. I have recapped the electrolytics in the amp, and it's been running well, but I think I've found a bad transistor in the power supply that needs replacing, so it's out of the system right now. I'm looking forward to getting it back up and running, but it's a chance to try some other amps with these speakers. I'm using a low watt tube power amp right now, and I have no complaints.

Last edited:
Congrats on the find! I have the same setup minus the speakers as these are pretty much impossible to find for some reason, happy with my Wharfs though. Also If you ever wanna sell your turntable dust cover I'll give you a good price.

Back
Top Bottom