My Experience With A Wireless iPod Transmitter

tentoze

Twangophile
One of the very few things that disappointed me with the Ford Sport Trac I bought last week was the realization that there was no aux input for hooking my iPod into the radio/cd changer. I've gotten really accustomed to the convenience of the iPod on the go, and really didn't want to give it up. One of my sons had a similar issue in his Volvo wagon, and had solved it with an FM transmitter- I've heard this set up on several occasions, and it always sounded reasonably fine, given the overall environment and limitations of the system, etc. I'm not sure what brand he has, but I decided the concept would cure my problem, so I bought one of these:

STD1_F8Z176.jpg

Belkin TuneBase FM with ClearScan Model F8Z176. A variety of cradles is supplied for use with several different iPod models- the iPod slides down into the cradle, engaging the charging port on the bottom of the iPod, then the assembly plugs into a convenience outlet in your vehicle.

Once powered up, the button at the bottom of the unit gets pressed, and the "ClearScan" technology purportedly identifies the clearest FM channel available, you tune your radio to that channel, and sonic bliss ensues. Well, not exactly. Actually, not at all.

In the Spring Hill, FL area I was in when I bought the gadget (not exactly a major urban FM area), the channels that the "ClearScan" scan directed me to resulted in a lot of static at best, and radio stations bleeding in and out of the iPod signal at worst. Repeated scanning for alternate channels produced no better results. I discovered that, for some reason, if I kept my hand on the iPod, the signal improved, and the static lessened. I guess humans are antennae, but one-handed driving isn't exactly the smartest way to roll around in Tampa's crazy traffic. On my drive back to Jacksonville day before yesterday, no improvement was noted, even in areas best described as the boonies, where one would presume "clear" channels would be most aplenty. Sooo, on a scale of 1 to 10, its ability to find a clear channel and transmit a reasonably decent signal to the truck's head unit is about a generous 2.

As for sound quality, and I use the term loosely- Belkin provides NO technical data for the unit in the accompanying documentation. Compared to what I've been used to in my other truck, which was a cassette adapter from the iPod to the head unit, the perceived sq was thin, to be kind. It seemed to me that any information below about 300 hz was non-existent, as was any above about 12k hz. To be sure this wasn't inherent in the truck's factory sound system, I loaded up 6 cd's in the changer yesterday, and it acquitted itself quite nicely. Another generous 2 for sq.

Bottom line- This thing is a POS. And a not inexpensive POS, at that- I think the retail price at Target as $89.99, but wasn't paying 100% attention, because I was buying other stuff as well. If you're searching for a solution to a similar problem for traveling tunes, this isn't it.

Last edited:
I've purchased a couple of these gadgets from different companies. Returned them all. I think this is a technology that hasn't been perfected yet.

I've never had much luck with any of the Belkin wireless products. Last item I tried was one of their FM transmitters, and it let the smoke out after about 10 minutes. Stunk the car up

Ford says the standard audio system in the Sport Trac XLT comes with a hardwired audio input jack in what appears to be a drawer or console. That would definitely be the answer for your SQ problems. Inside the armrest, maybe?

Hmm...That's not a 2010 model, is it?

Nope, '07. The owner's manual says there IS an aux, and shows it right next to the convenience outlet on the front of the center console (and doesn't indicate it as optional eqpt.), but I'm damned if this one has it.

Regardless Eric, take the thing back for a refund. That's one of the ways places like Target learn what's not performing to expectations.

Nope, '07. The owner's manual says there IS an aux, and shows it right next to the convenience outlet on the front of the center console (and doesn't indicate it as optional eqpt.), but I'm damned if this one has it.

Take it back and get 'em to put the damned thing in, then. The wiring would be in the harness, anyway, so they can just pop one in.

My niece has a Ford Focus and she got a similar, differently-branded gizmo. It didn't work very well in her car, either. Too much static, and no good clear channel.

And my brother wonders why she wants her home system to have a turntable?

Well, I've already determined that, if need be, I can live with the 6 cd changer, but, anymore, it's a pain in the ass to carry a pile of cd's around. iPod spoiled me for convenience.

Thank heavens my car still has a cassette player.

Several years ago an Apple-centric magazine ran a review of different methods of connecting your iPod to the car's audio system.

Their final assessment on FM adapters: The best FM adapter tested was worse than the cheapest cassette adapter.:thumbsdn: My daughter had one...pos.

I have had several acquaintances try them over the last few years. Every single one got returned.

Well, I've already determined that, if need be, I can live with the 6 cd changer, but, anymore, it's a pain in the ass to carry a pile of cd's around. iPod spoiled me for convenience.

First off...I agree that nothing is going to be as good as a "direct" connection.

That being said you can get a good sounding signal via FM.

But you will not do it with the average big box store transmitter.

I used a transmitter that I got off that auction site...

The thing to look for is an FM transmitter that uses digital oversampling to generate the MPX signal that is fed to the RF transmitter.

This is orders of magnitude better than the box store transmitters. And since no audio compression or limiting...Will sound much much better than your average FM station.

And to be sure I had a solid signal into my tuner in the mini-van I slit the antenna cable for a few inches and inserted the antenna wire from the transmitter under the shield of the cable.

I set the transmitter on an unused frequency and mounted it out of the way under the dash and mounted and audio jack next to the radio.

Not just plug and play like the Ipod dock but worked very well for me.

Sorry I do not remember the brand or model...And I have since sold it to a friend.

Again not as good as a direct connection...But not bad for the convenience factor.:yes:

I have since pulled the radio and modified it for direct audio in...:thmbsp:

I'd do the same, but I trashed all the packaging.

Shouldn't matter as long as you have the receipt. You should see what we get back at Costco, but then again, we're Costco. :D

If they give you shit, ask to see a manager. If he gives you trouble, ask for his name and the Corporate Offices phone number. They'll cave...

FWIW, you wouldn't need the packaging if it worked as advertised. Tell them it's defective and buzzy and they'll either send it back or have a spoils allowance and salvage it.

I picked up a couple of these and my wife uses one. It's not too bad, but the one I used in the Explorer had a nasty consistent buzz and shook loose every 5 minutes. I guess the Marketing guys don't appreciate the laws of physics, mass and torgue on long arms :dunno:

I use a cassette adapter and it works fine for the car.

Back
Top Bottom