My Experience With A Wireless iPod Transmitter

I bought a cheapy 10 dollar one at Wally World. I worked ok, but if I was in an FM loaded area, it wouldn't be the thing. As for sound, well, I was in my Diesel work rig, so it really didn't matter, I just wanted tunes. It was OK, sounded like FM radio.

Hey Eric - I wound up with a Monster brand Ipod/FM transmitter several months ago... I bought an Ipod at my local pawn shop and this one just happened to have came with the transmitter via whoever pawned their Ipod. While not stellar, I thought it was okay and no problems as far as static, everything is plenty clear and strong. Gave it to my gf after she went nuts for it, and got myself another on ebay for next to nothing, much less than $10... there always seem to be scads of them new on there. I'm not the biggest Monster supporter around, but its okay and I use it every day or two.

Eric,

Same experience here. Received a Belkin unit a few years ago with my Ipod. it works in a few areas near the bottom of the FM range. But here in LA, there's just too many FM signals that get in the way. And when I drive into other areas you have to start searching for other signal less space.

The more frustrating issues are alluded to above - the stupid things are on stalks that torque the power contacts off so I'm constantly having to reposition it to work. In my Lexus ES300 commuter car, the power port is angled vertically so the stalk tends to rotate when the Ipod is intstalled. When I'm using it in our Sienna minivan, the power port is horizontal - so not only does the unit tend to rotate, it also want's to fall out. Couple that with more distance from the twin windshield and back glass diversity antennas and we get considerably less useful signal stregth.

I agree that having your hand on the stupid thing improves the signal, either by reflection or concentration. But its not the best way to drive. It would be nice if there was a way to increase signal output but then we'd probably disrupt the other people driving by.

I've also found the cassette adapters to work a lot better than the FM transmitters. However, the Monster brand adapter I found at a thrift store is not liked by my Lexus cassette player much as its constantly trying to eject it (maybe the cassette player has good taste??). So I'll have to find another that works better. Happily, the costs is usually under $15 max.

For those who have no cassette but also no aux input, don't know what the solution would be unless you can tap into the audio feed for a separate CD changer. I suppose at some point if you have a digital radio receiver, there would be a way to get a digital signal out to it, but there would have to be a good digital freq. band to use.

Ultimately will have to find a more direct input into the amplifiers instead of going to the head units.

Or maybe rig up your own separate sound system in the car with separate speakers and amp that gives you a direct connection to the ipod?? That's the purest route that I can think of. Hmmm. If you leave the main system turned off, can you tap into the car's speakers and send signal to them via another amp and could / would that cause any problems with the main amp, even if it is off (sort of like back emf signal injection into the output transistors?)?

or hook up a switch box switching the speakers feed from one amp to another and remove that issue. Maybe easier than installing another set of speakers.

Sounds like the basis of an interesting DIY mod, likely there are shops that could do this, or wire in a aux input somehwere in the system.

I recently picked up a Belkin TuneCast with Clear Scan wireless transmitter at a thrift store for $2.00. It works fine and has a button that when pushed finds a dead channel.

In my truck I have a DLO transmitter that I got at a pawn shop. It too works good and has an adjustable arm so it can be angled how ever you want.

I have had other Belkins that died quickly. So far I have had luck with these.

Chad

I purchased a Monster brand fm transmitter and it works good enough in my work truck. No auto tuning function but thats good for me cause it lets me choose accordingly depending on where i'm at. I also have a Monster brand one i found at Marshals dept store for home audio systems for those seldom times the gf wants to hear something on the ipod . It also work fine.. for what it is. They sell kits at best buy to hard wire to stock head units in cars. My sister got one for my stepdad a few years back maybe u should look into that option. They'll install it for you or u can do it yourself.

Last edited:
Go here. They have a huge selection of quality products to interface your iPod with lots of different vehicles and car audio systems. I use one of their universal adapters in my '87 Benz with an original Becker stereo that Becker added an aux in for $100. It takes a line out signal from the iPod, has a preamp with a pot to match levels to the radio, and it charges the iPod while you use it. It sounds fantastic, much better than the FM or cassette sections of the Becker. I think they have FM modulators that plug right into the antenna wire eliminating a lot of the static and interference problems too.

No affiliation, of course. Good luck!

Isimple

If you want to use that iPod in your Sportrac with maximum convenience, go check out an Isimple Gateway.

http://isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/GateWay.asp

According to the application chart, a ISFD73 will fit your 2007 Sportrac.

This device is the cat's meow. I put one in my 2008 Tahoe, for the ease of use. I'm pretty tight with my money, and it is well worth every penny. It works with the factory radio, and better yet, it allows you to use the factory radio controls to control the iPod.

No fumbling with that tiny little scroll wheel going down the road! Even better if you have audio controls on the steering wheel, such as my Tahoe does.

The sound is excellent and the convenience is unbeatable! It took me about an hour to install. The hardest part was removing the radio/HVAC controls bezel without scratching it. It just plugs into the factory harness. I have my iPod in the console, the part of the harness that goes to the iPod is long enough to allow you a good choice of where to put the iPod.

If you want to remove the ipod, it just unplugs like any other plug would.

The unit allows for the display on your factory radio to show the artist, song or category. My only criticism of the unit is that if you want to use the "shuffle" feature, you have to go to the iPod direct for that. Otherwise, I can select any artist or any song from the factory radio.

It also charges your iPod. I keep my iPod in my Tahoe unless I want to use it otherwise. When I do, I open the console, unplug the Isimple plug from the iPod and away we go!

I bought mine at BestBuy. Check this thing out!

If you need more info or want to ask me about some specific details, just PM me. There is a lot of good info on their website along with videos and even installation info. Browse around their site for a bit.

I am a big skeptic and a harsh buyer, but this thing is the real deal! :thmbsp:

I drive a 1996 Sentra. I use a Pioneer Premier headunit with AUX capability with the optional input box. I got one installed in my car and kPod is excellent sounding with it. I am on my 4th generation of kPods. In fact, I listened to some superb tunes in it tonight driving home in the rain by my lonesome. I now use a current issue iPod Nano (8GB with video):tresbon:

Back
Top Bottom