My first decent pair of headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Bourbon, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Bourbon

Bourbon Drinkin' and dreamin' Subscriber

I've owned a couple cheap, crappy pairs of headphones in the past. These were just something I used to pass the time listening to music without disturbing others. I always told myself that I'd buy a decent set when I had a few extra bucks floating around, but I never did...until about a week ago.

I bought a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones. Yes, I know, most consider them to be entry-level phones, but to me they sound great. I bought them with the intention of listening to music on my Samsung Galaxy pad, but they came with a nice coiled cord that I can use for my home systems. This is going to be fun!

Thanks to all who posted advice in this forum - as I read a LOT of it. You definitely helped me make an informed decision. To others looking to buy their first set: give these a look. The sound you will get will make you think you paid much more.

Tom White, Lavane, judsonw and 3 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

They get a fair bit of hate, but I think someone could do a whole lot worse. I have several 'better' sets of headphones, but my M50s still get almost daily use as they are my go-to headphones for computer stuff such as YouTube and podcasts.

I eventually replaced the leather-ish pads with some terry cloth types. Not quite as much isolation, but not as much heat on the ears either.

WobblySam likes this.
  3. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

Hey man, you got to start somewhere. And you could have done a lot worse. I've got a set 50s - the ones with the blue cushions and they look cool - and the fold-up option allowed me to carry these around easily when I was spending an inordinate amount of time at doctor's offices a couple of years ago. They were a little "squeezy" on my head, but not to the point of discomfort. Glad you found something you like since that's all that really matters.

Cratz, where did you get the cloth cushions?

cratz2 likes this.
  4. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

On eBay or Amazon. They were about $15.

There are a couple companies including Dekoni that make 'higher end' pads that are more like velvet or velour, similar to what comes on the HD600/650. They are about $45 on Amazon or $35 On Massdrop.

Of course, changing pads can affect not just the isolation, but the overall sound as well. Nothing too drastic in my experience. Of course, replacing worn pads with new identical pads also affects the sound.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  5. abpeep

abpeep OU Sucks!! Subscriber

I listened to a pair of those the other day at Guitar Center, along with some Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, and a few others. Each of them sounded good but it's pretty hard to get a feel for how they really sound on the listening stations. I would bet any of them would satisfy me if I got them home.

But, I don't need a third pair ( AKG Q701, Pioneer SE-4) for the small amount of HP listening I do.

cratz2 likes this.
  6. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I did not know that pads were available for the 50s. Fuzzy will be a nice change.

cratz2 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. psychoaudio

psychoaudio I didn't do it Subscriber

Im in the market for fresh pads for my 50s. Can you PM me the epay link?

8. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Actually, I got mine on Amazon. Just look for Meijunter ATH-M50 pads on Amazon.

Mine are black cloth. It looks like they have a few other varieties at the moment, but not black cloth. If I were to order right now, I'd go for the black velvet and leather option.

Or just search on eBay. I tend to trust Amazon sellers a bit more at this point.

Good luck.

psychoaudio likes this.
  9. danj

danj modern primitive

After many years of crap headphones back in 1974 I bought a pair of Kenwood KH-51 headphones from the Navy Exchange at the Subic Bay Naval Base. They were excellent and very comfortable. The next was a pair of classic Sennheisers I bought at Dixie Hi-Fi in Virginia Beach in 1977. Absolutely great headphones and the most comfortable I've ever owned. My next good ones were Fostex T-10s, which I loved and used until I literally wore them out. Now I have a pair each of mid-priced AKG and Tascam. Both are highly satisfactory.

cratz2 likes this.