My first foray into Yamaha Pro amps

They'll potentially displace my bridged (via a C-70) M-80's in the 2-channel/HT setup, running my 250Ti's. The M-80's have an estimated 660WPC bridged, the PC2002M is a rated 700WPC bridged into 8 Ohms. The less circuitry I have in there (taking out the C-70), the better. :thmbsp:

I do not believe the PC2002M has a fan. For my average listening, I doubt they'll run very hot. I plan to place them on short stands right next to each 250Ti. The WAF is gonna be in the shi**er, but the family room/HT is MY DOMAIN. I decorated it, and rule over it. She has the Living room and most of the rest of the house, less my office and stereo room, for frilly, girly-girl crap.
The PC2002M's in bridged mode driving the big JBL's is going to be sweet!

No fans in the PC-2002/M, just plenty of big finns and mine has never even come close to getting warm, just give it good adequate breating room per the manual, not closed up in a cabinet.

:lurk:

Waiting with you to see how the pair of PC2002M's look and turn out. This should be fun!

Regards,

Bart

:lurk:

Waiting with you to see how the pair of PC2002M's look and turn out. This should be fun!

Regards,

Bart

Me too! Thanks again for the referral.

I hope they're nice, he said he had 10 left at the time and would pull the best looking pair, but after asking for another AK member yesterday, he only has 4 left that need "minor repairs."

The PC2002M's in bridged mode driving the big JBL's is going to be sweet!

I hope so.

Thanks for the recommendation on the cables. I ordered a 12' set of XLR-M to RCA-M from Kind Kables yesterday and spoke to the guy. Should have them about the time the amps show up.

Minor Update:

They weren't that great cosmetically. Looks like a lot of rash top and bottom from pulling them out of the racks. Too bad, everything except the backplate is anodized aluminum so painting them might not look right. Too many big scratches to just cover with gun-black. [edit] After reading this, I realized the sub faceplates that cover the meters and power switch appear to be plastic.

As they were racked with no apparent spacing, the feet are also missing.

The faceplates and rack handles are in pretty nice shape and the two I got are performing flawlessly, just needing minor bias/offset adjustments and a ton of lamps. I used up the 8 lamps I had left just for every other lamp on one amp. and will have to order two dozen more and green lamp condoms from our favorite lamp supplier.

I'm still evaluating them sonically. Although I've only gone through the one hookup, I actually prefer the C-80, JBL 4410A running through a pair of bridged Rotel RB-980BX (360WPC) (I know, blasphemer) over the C2a, JBL 4412BMkII running through the bridged PC2002M's. Those are low power studio monitors though and don't need much power, but I'm not a huge fan of the 4312's anyway. However, I'm also running a CD through two different transports so it's not a real shootout. I still haven't done the refoam on my 4412's, so I'll have to drag the 2nd pair of L112's in from downstairs, swap CDP, and speakers, and check them out before they go down for the real workout.

MarkB recommended a few sources for cables - I was thinking monoprice :thmbsp: - but ended up going with one of his, for much more money I might add. :D I bought a pair of 12' XLR-RCA cables from Kind Kables here in Colorado. Nice cables, Canare quad cable, Neutrik XLR and Switchcraft RCA connectors. However, when I plugged everything up, I realized I hadn't cleaned the XLR connectors on the amp with DeoxIt... Doh! I had been testing with a 1/4"-RCA adapter and didn't think to do the XLR.

It will be after the holidays before I can plop them in the family room on the big 250Ti's for a real blow out session and a full comparo to the M-80's.

Cheers,

Russ

Minor Update:

They weren't that great cosmetically. Looks like a lot of rash top and bottom from pulling them out of the racks. Too bad, everything except the backplate is anodized aluminum so painting them might not look right. Too many big scratches to just cover with gun-black. [edit] After reading this, I realized the sub faceplates that cover the meters and power switch appear to be plastic.

The faceplates and rack handles are in pretty nice shape and the two I got are performing flawlessly, just needing minor bias/offset adjustments and a ton of lamps. I used up the 8 lamps I had left just for every other lamp on one amp. and will have to order two dozen more and green lamp condoms from our favorite lamp supplier.

I'm still evaluating them sonically. Although I've only gone through the one hookup, I actually prefer the C-80, JBL 4410A running through a pair of bridged Rotel RB-980BX (360WPC) (I know, blasphemer) over the C2a, JBL 4412BMkII running through the bridged PC2002M's. Those are low power studio monitors though and don't need much power, but I'm not a huge fan of the 4312's anyway. However, I'm also running a CD through two different transports so it's not a real shootout. I still haven't done the refoam on my 4412's, so I'll have to drag the 2nd pair of L112's in from downstairs, swap CDP, and speakers, and check them out before they go down for the real workout.

MarkB recommended a few sources for cables - I was thinking monoprice :thmbsp: - but ended up going with one of his, for much more money I might add. :D I bought a pair of 12' XLR-RCA cables from Kind Kables here in Colorado. Nice cables, Canare quad cable, Neutrik XLR and Switchcraft RCA connectors. However, when I plugged everything up, I realized I hadn't cleaned the XLR connectors on the amp with DeoxIt... Doh! I had been testing with a 1/4"-RCA adapter and didn't think to do the XLR.

It will be after the holidays before I can plop them in the family room on the big 250Ti's for a real blow out session and a full comparo to the M-80's.

Cheers,

Russ
Too bad the amps aren't in better cosmetic condition. You might want to try them with different preamps, you might be surprised by how big a difference that can make. I can hardly wait for you to hook them up to the JBL 250Ti's.

Minor Update:

Cheers,

Russ

Russ:

The top cover can be flipped to reveal a clean side. Some comments. Unless you need the massive power, I'd recommend against bridging because synchronizing the two channels is not the best way to make power. My PC2002M almost never draws more than 30 watts into my NS-1000M's and that is deafening. If you JBL's are bi-amp capable, you might want to try a vertical hook up.

The PC2002M is a great performer, check out the test results in the manual available at yamaha.com. IMO, preamp choice is critical. I've tried multiple preamps with my PC2002M's and can hear a big difference compared to going CD direct. Most add either veiling or coloration. I finally settled on a Classe. I've also tried a variety of CDP's and was surprised how different the sound is. IMO, my set is good enough to take advantage of a high end CDP so the search is still on.

Too bad the amps aren't in better cosmetic condition. You might want to try them with different preamps, you might be surprised by how big a difference that can make. I can hardly wait for you to hook them up to the JBL 250Ti's.

Mark B: We have the same thought on preamps!

Russ:

The top cover can be flipped to reveal a clean side. Some comments. Unless you need the massive power, I'd recommend against bridging because synchronizing the two channels is not the best way to make power. My PC2002M almost never draws more than 30 watts into my NS-1000M's and that is deafening. If you JBL's are bi-amp capable, you might want to try a vertical hook up.

The PC2002M is a great performer, check out the test results in the manual available at yamaha.com. IMO, preamp choice is critical. I've tried multiple preamps with my PC2002M's and can hear a big difference compared to going CD direct. Most add either veiling or coloration. I finally settled on a Classe. I've also tried a variety of CDP's and was surprised how different the sound is. IMO, my set is good enough to take advantage of a high end CDP so the search is still on.

I know it should be a great performer as it's the pro version of the M-2.

RE: cover. I considered that and looked at it. Maybe I'm thinking of the bottom, but there were several holes that had a raised rim around them from the inside that put me off that idea. I'll have to look again when I go back inside for the lamp fixes.

Unless I pull the woofer off the XO and out the back, or pay to build a new XO (I'd go charge coupled) for my 250Ti, they're not bi-ampable. I'm running a pair of M-80's bridged now (estimated 660WPC) and they'll suck up all I can give em within reason. I prefer to have the amps somewhat loafing along and have the extra headroom available.

Thanks for the tips. This is a work in progress that's getting mostly shelved until after the holidays. I just wanted to get them hooked up to something besides the little JBL control LA speakers (sacrificial lambs) I use for testing. :D

No, he needs a big room to make it worth while using them.

True dat.

I'm seriously considering moving a large part of the gear down into the basement. Other than a large, carpeted area, it's unfinished so it's a modicum of a man cave, but would give all the speakers some breathing room. It would certainly need some reflection treatments on the walls. :scratch2:

Shortly after my wife finishes her RN degree, just about the time we should be recovering from this economic downturn, we're planning on moving/building. I'll work out the man cave and HT room details then. Until then, I make do and amass the equipment I'll need/want for the new digs.

I think after the holidays and people start rolling in tax refunds, I'm going to start liquidating some of the lower end gear. If nothing more than for the space.

Better think about reinforcing some of the floor joists!:smoke: Aint no stopping those amps, even into 2 ohms... just makes a better room heater! Nice score my friend :thmbsp:

hey cool! this is my 400th post!

Last edited:
Russ: Points taken on bridging your amps into your 250Ti. Take a look at the Load Impedance vs. Output Power graph in the owners manual. The fact that power output doubles into 4 ohm and nearly doubles again into 2 ohm should give you an idea what the PC2002M is capable in 2-channel mode. This is different from dynamic headroom power which is available for typically a second or less. Give it a try in 2-channel mode and bridged and post your impression. I'm looking forward to your result.

Better think about reinforcing some of the floor joists!:smoke:

How did you know? I've had the system up only to about 50 watt peaks (times 4 which is 200 watts per side). The nails in my walls are backing out...:D

Attachments

• System 1.jpg
    System 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
Better think about reinforcing some of the floor joists!:smoke: Aint no stopping those amps, even into 2 ohms... just makes a better room heater! Nice score my friend :thmbsp:

hey cool! this is my 400th post!

Me or SoCal?

(pic -6 months ago) :D

attachment.php

(250Ti size is misleading, that's a 56" TV)

attachment.php

SoCal, Brutal:

Wowsers!!! You guys have some awesome setups there, Yamaha and JBL/Yammi heaven!

I need to get the camera out soon to document some goings on with my setup, once I get it back together. Probably after the holidays though.

Rock on!! :guitar::guitar::ntwrthy::ntwrthy::banana::banana:

Bart

Back
Top Bottom