My first hifi amp

These are Fishers. 12" woofer, 130W Max power, made from1978-1979, it has potentiometers for higs and mids. I once opened the cabinet and to my surprise, it has a really well made crossover. Grenadeslio said that that they are relatively efficient speakers, but the bass can't keep with the highs and mids if you know what i mean. It has a different type of surrounding, pulled inside.

Attachments

• 1516130563348732371398.jpg
    1516130563348732371398.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 16
I will post some pics of the speakers. On the back it says that they are 8 Ohms and max power 130w, so RMS I think there should be 50->70W. In the (semi)long run i plan to change the speakers . The pioneer A 77x is under the budget at around 150-160€. One guy is selling an A 757 near my city so it would be possible to bring it personally. Although it would be nice to have a TOTL, anyone has more info related to the Pioneer A 77X( nr of trasnsistors, is it dual mono), and how it would compare to the newerish A 757? Are the transistors mosfet? I read somewhere that is a pain to work/repair on the pioneer a 77x/88x. Or how about the 88x vs 757? They are both at the same price.
Thanks for all the advice,
Sergiu
These speaks were designed at a time when the norm was to set the speaks on the floor, why they're so large, and up against the front wall. This allowed them to play louder with less demand on the partnering amplifier.

I'm currently running a pair of Klipsch Heresys series I in the bedroom, a speaker not known for prodigious bass output in this arrangement and they aren't lacking for bass output. With a tt attached I have to use risers to elevate the front off the floor the bass is so strong.

The Klipsch Heresy has a rated max input of 400watts, RMS 100watts and I'm driving them with a nice little 34watt/channel Kenny to ear splitting levels that rattle the windows.

With the Fisher's max rating of 130watts I'm guessing RMS would more be in the range of 35 - 40watts. If not able to get sufficient bass output when properly placed as designed without maxing out the bass control and the loudness engaged then I suggest either a less clinical sounding amplifier or different speakers.

This is the little amp I'm using, known to be very tube like.
$_1.JPG

Also, I would suggest rather than attempting to boost the speakers bass output and straining the amplifier/speaker to adjust the mid/tweet controls on the front of the speakers, that's why they're there.

The picture was taken in my city flat. I moved one speaker with the intend to test it. The pair will be used in my countryside house. My room is big, but odd shaped, altough i found the position where they sound pretty good.

Thanks all for the replies! I went with the Pioneer A 757. It is indeed very well built and very heavy because of it :). It is very clear, very powerful and provides the need for bass even at 0 at around 9->11 o'clock. It sounds epic. It surpasses the A 656 in every aspect, as it would normal be. Even after a few hours of listening I'm in love with this amp :)).

Great you found something you like!

I was going to say, if you are that much of a bass-head :rockon: you may want to look for a powered sub. But if this amp does it for you then so much the better.

There is a great thread somewhere on AK about how bass boost and loudness (which is more bass boost as you know) can heavily stress an amp.

Basically, if your tone controls boost as much as 10 db (for example), that requires 10x more power in the range that the tone control is covering. For average rock music, at least half of the power demand is in the bass region to begin with. So you can imagine the increased power demand with the bass boosted. The Loudness control boosts it even more so if you have both of them on...:yikes: Some people would say that's a terrible way to listen to music. I might try to talk you out of it, but really you can listen however you like. But if you have to crank the bass up that much to get it how you like it, you need different speakers and/or a sub.

Sounds like your new amp is doing the job without a lot of bass boost though, so that's good. :thumbsup:

I was kind of a bass head a few years ago when i burned one speaker and blew some transistors but I came a long way to realize music isn't just bass and dubstep :). But with the Pioneer SX 221R it wasn't there :). The difference between both the receiver and the amp that I have for the city and the big pioneer is night and day. Also the headphones section is extraordinary. I do gaming sometimes and I don't want to know everyone in the block what I am playing :).

As for rock, I listen to quite a few classic tracks. I may open a thread about what tracks makes you say ,,I could listen to this for hours'', or makes you one with the music.

It is a very common journey for audiophiles!

By the way, great to hear from you all the way in Romania. :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom