My First Klipsch (s) KG2s

Back to the KG2's - did you get any paper work on them? I couldn't find any info on them.

No. All I could find was a brochure from back then listing the sensitivity as 90.5. I looked for an owners manual but the Klipsch site is under construction and it is not avail. I wanted more info on placement. Some of what I found says to place them 1 to 2 in from a wall.....unless one places them in a corner......and I put mine in a corner. I wanted to find out how far from the corner however. I figure I am close to optimal because the freaking bass is just a bit behind the 88s if you can believe that. They are VERY directional for sure. If they are not at ear level they lose a lot of highs. They do have a bit of a hole in the mids unlike the other two way speakers I have. But I just boosted that freq a bit in the EQ and they sound great. I figure I am not used to horns.

I decided to bring the KGs out to the front room to try them in a different position (against a flat wall instead in a corner) using the 1060 amp. I am not quite as impressed with them as I was. Now I had been using them with a 60 wpc Pioneer 7700 and the Marantz 1060 is rated at 30 wpc. The bass is not as strong as when they were in the corner although they still get plenty loud without straining the 1060 at all. They do require more volume to get the same response as they did in the bedroom corners. Maybe I will bring out a more powerful amp to try them with to see if the difference is the location or lack of power. I assume it is probably some of both. I still really like them, but it seems they are more sensitive to position than other speakers.......I notice they need to be at ear level to get complete high end performance. All part of the fun of getting and trying out new speakers.

20180926_082539.jpg

I decided to bring the KGs out to the front room to try them in a different position (against a flat wall instead in a corner) using the 1060 amp. I am not quite as impressed with them as I was. Now I had been using them with a 60 wpc Pioneer 7700 and the Marantz 1060 is rated at 30 wpc. The bass is not as strong as when they were in the corner although they still get plenty loud without straining the 1060 at all. They do require more volume to get the same response as they did in the bedroom corners. Maybe I will bring out a more powerful amp to try them with to see if the difference is the location or lack of power. I assume it is probably some of both. I still really like them, but it seems they are more sensitive to position than other speakers.......I notice they need to be at ear level to get complete high end performance. All part of the fun of getting and trying out new speakers.

View attachment 1290580
I have icon 5 1/4”-1/2” dono and they don’t seem to produce much bass . Why did the brand make them so much smaller ? I use them as fear surrounds .o_O They wouldn’t cut it as mains .

I have icon 5 1/4”-1/2” dono and they don’t seem to produce much bass . Why did the brand make them so much smaller ? I use them as fear surrounds .o_O They wouldn’t cut it as mains .

They still make bigger speakers. In the past 20 years the style has been to make smaller speakers since they take up less space and use a sub.

Well after listening to the KGs for a week solid I still like them, but there is something missing. I used the EQ to boost the mids a bit but they just dont have a really full sound like some other 2 way speakers I have. My Marantz Imperial 5s have a far better upper end without the need to be exactly at ear level, the same with the Imperial 6s which just spank the KGs all they way around. Just for the hell of it I brought out the CS 88s and a Sony TA F3A. All I have to say is , WOW, what a difference. Against a flat wall the KGs have better than average bass for their size and when they are in a corner they really shine. But they just dont compete very well with a big 3 way like the CS88s.

One of the other members over on the Klipsch forum ordered the Crites upgraded tweeter for his KG2s so I want to see what he thinks about them. I wish I still had my Small Advents so I could do an A to B comparison. In sound quality I remember the Advents have it over the KGs......but the build quality was nowhere as nice as the Klipschs. I am thinking the horn tweeter on the KGs is something that I just dont hear very well. I am listening to the Pioneers right now and when I got up and walked over to the computer to write this post I noticed how nice they sounded even way away from the sweet spot.

I have some thinking to do.

20181003_111646.jpg 20181003_111445.jpg

Horn speakers, in general, have controlled dispersion and they will sound best when aimed at your ears. That's a plus in minimizing room reflections.They can sound better off axis with some toe-in. The Imperial 6 is a nice flat measuring speaker and sounds like it. Although the tweeters are dated compared to todays and the top end is it's weakness, imo. The Imperial 7 was where marantz went off the rails for awhile. I haven't heard a KG2, but the Klipsch models with a passive radiator have remarkable low distortion figures from the woofers.

Looking at the measurements of the KG2, you can see about a 2db dip from 1500 to about 4000, that's not a lot but maybe you are hearing that. I believe the Imperial 6 was 1.5db +/- through the midband, which is a really good figure.

Horn speakers, in general, have controlled dispersion and they will sound best when aimed at your ears. That's a plus in minimizing room reflections.They can sound better off axis with some toe-in. The Imperial 6 is a nice flat measuring speaker and sounds like it. Although the tweeters are dated compared to todays and the top end is it's weakness, imo. The Imperial 7 was where marantz went off the rails for awhile. I haven't heard a KG2, but the Klipsch models with a passive radiator have remarkable low distortion figures from the woofers.

I dont like the Imperial 7s at all. I think the bass rolls off. The 6s blow them away. I just had my 6s recapped and there is no problem with the highs now. They are a better speaker than their parts make them out to be.

The KG2s that I have have the passive and bass is quite nice. The problem is that the bass is the only thing that is quite nice (other than the build quality). The mids and highs are average at best. I had them in the corner of our bedroom toed in quite a bit and the bass became exceptional while the uppers were the same. I had them at ear level like I did in the front room. Dont get me wrong, I still like them but they are not as interesting as I first thought they were. I put them on a Fisher CA 800 100wpc amp and really opened them up and they came alive when I thought they would distort. At the moderate sound levels I listen to, they dont shine like they do at higher levels and that may be a big part of the problem.

And after trying in three different rooms, with six different amps and receivers I gave up on the KG2s. I went with a friend and heard a pair of recapped KG2s to see if I would like them better if I spent some money on them and.........nope.

I sold them for what I paid for them and the new owner was very happy with them and I am glad. I like two way speakers and I like passive radiators but it seems I dont like horn tweeters. I liked them a lot at first but when I settled down and really sat and listened to them, that changed. A good example of how one's opinion can change with some seat time.

For my ear, the three-way designs are Klipsch's best. Their signature sound. Love it or hate it. I love 'em, myself. Heresy, Quartet, Forte (I have 1s), Cornwall, Chorus, Belle or Cornerhorn are the ones I like. When I listen to them (Forte) in the bedroom system, they always please. A very nice alternative to the Monitor Audios on the main rig.

I have not heard the kg2's but now I am curious. Of course everyone's ears are different. I would have thought the Crites mod would have sounded much better but not to your ears I guess.

I heard my 4.2's on a very nice amp at someone's house a week ago, 2-3 ft. out from the wall (no space for that at my house, and toed in, which I had not tried before. At some point we in-toed them and the sound did change from where I sat, slightly off axis. I liked it better toed in. Probably the sweet spot (soundstage) improved by un-toeing but if you're not a sit-in-the-sweet-spot listener, which I am not, well, I'm toeing them in when I put them back in my system. I assumed those horns had a wide dispersion but based on what fredgarvin is saying, they are typically controlled and it's more complicated than I assumed.

So many speakers to choose from. What a time to be alive. :thumbsup:

If you're not a sweet spot listener why would it matter if speakers are toed in or not?

I have not heard the kg2's but now I am curious. Of course everyone's ears are different. I would have thought the Crites mod would have sounded much better but not to your ears I guess.

I heard my 4.2's on a very nice amp at someone's house a week ago, 2-3 ft. out from the wall (no space for that at my house, and toed in, which I had not tried before. At some point we in-toed them and the sound did change from where I sat, slightly off axis. I liked it better toed in. Probably the sweet spot (soundstage) improved by un-toeing but if you're not a sit-in-the-sweet-spot listener, which I am not, well, I'm toeing them in when I put them back in my system. I assumed those horns had a wide dispersion but based on what fredgarvin is saying, they are typically controlled and it's more complicated than I assumed.

Yes, horns are controlled-dispersion type speakers, not wide dispersion, and tend to benefit from toe-in. Khorns have a 45-degree toe-in built-in.

In the living room I did not have them toed in because of how small the room is. But since I rarely just sit and listen, I am moving around. That was the problem; if you are not right at ear level, they lose a lot of the highs and it drove me crazy. I had them 24 inches off of the ground which is ear level while sitting for us. The bass was nice and I did like that part of them, but the pair of Small Advents I had easily matched them and better highs for sure......they were built like crap however. The construction of the KGs was superb however.

If you're not a sweet spot listener why would it matter if speakers are toed in or not?

I was reacting to fredgarvin's statement that "They [horn speakers] can sound better off axis with some toe-in." If I am moving around the room I am almost never on-axis. Now that I think about it, I am not sure what the original statement means. Toe-in puts the sweet spot listener more on-axis with the drivers. Based on my experience the other day, they sounded better off-sweet-spot with some toe in. I am sure of that at least.

If I'm listening in the kitchen while cooking or doing whatever somewhere else the sweet spot has no importance and neither does toe in or lack thereof. Fortunately, with fairly tall panels I'm not concerned with vertical dispersion at any reasonable listening distance. Horizontal dispersion is a different issue.

If I did most of my listening while out of the sweet spot I'd probably have a pair of Ohm F's or some other omnidirectional speaker. However, I'm lazy. While listening I usually have no desire or impetus to move away from the sweet spot.

In this case I was sitting a couple feet to one side and I could really tell the difference when the toe-in was removed.

I agree as far as being in the kitchen (or anywhere far away). I actually spend a lot of time in there myself and the stereo is NOT in there.

I have been on a speaker buying binge lately and after seeing some KG2 locally (but in oak) I decided I wanted to try a pair. After looking for weeks for a local pair of walnut veneer models I finally bought a pair on eBay. They were a decent deal but not great because of the shipping. I figured that if I liked them and decided to keep them I would be glad to have found the walnut.

Well they arrived about an hour ago and I have to say at first blush, I really really like them The are in the corner of our bedroom about 10 inches from the wall (I read all I could find about placement for the drone cones) and they have some serious bass. I had a pair of Small Advents in the same place and I think the KG2s pretty much kick their butts in the bass department. They also are about a million times better built and finished. I have them paired with a Pioneer SA 7700 that barely is even warm after an hour playing them. With 60 wpc it drives the speakers to some pretty loud levels in the 14x21 room. I put them in place of a nice set of KLH 17s and I am not sure about the highs yet but I can say for sure the KGs go deeper than the KLHs. It will take a few hours of listening to see about the other frequencies.

View attachment 1285642 View attachment 1285643

I've said it many many times, the KG2s are some of Klipschs best. If placed properly the bottom end is amazing.
The PR really helps. I've had a few sets, the kg4 as well. The 2s are my fave Klipsch.

Congrats man!

Back
Top Bottom