My first Marantz receiver! Needs some love though.

Klownschool

Mouth open = can't hear
Subscriber
I picked up a 2245 today for 10.00 at a rummage sale. I am pretty excited. It has the wooden case but that too is in need of a little attention. The back corner has a chunk out of it. You can see it on the back left. When I got it home I checked the DC offset. Left 75.3, Right 39.0. This is not good. It's not horrible but not good either. It also will need to have it's bulbs replaced as only one dial light is working.

I was wondering if someone on the forum might be good enough to send a service manual my way so I can attend to the baby. I can't wait to hear what everyone on the forum already knows.

Image Hosting by PicTiger

Thanks,
Rick

She will turn out nice, probably just needs a good DC offset adjustment and DeOxiting, get a service manual first though.

Send the case to merrylander if you can, his work is amazing from the images some people have posted.

I hope that is all that is wrong with it. I don't want to hook up speaks until I get it dialed in.

Merrylander can fix a missing chunk and keep the case in tact? WOW! That's impressive. I wonder what his workload is like right now?

Rick

In theory, strip the veneer, cake wood filler in the chips and dents, sand smooth and veneer the case. Should work well, if you have skills, which I don't..:)

I know how, I just don't have the talent to do it,

As far as the DC offset is concerned do a search for that topic in this forum.
I picked up a 2230 a couple weeks and before I used it checked the offset. 22vL 24vR but after searching found that because they are cap coupled it will be ok when hooked to speakers.
Do the search though. Very good reading. And start out with an elcheapo set of speakers.
I just can't describe how good this 2230 is, amazing.
Hope your 70 sounds as good.
You got a really good find, you just don't realize it yet.

Klownschool said:
I picked up a 2245 today for 10.00 at a rummage sale. I am pretty excited.

Wow - $10, Nice Score! :thmbsp: I picked up a 2230 last weekend for $20. It's my first Marantz receiver, and for a 30WPC receiver, I've been impressed by it's rich, strong sound. :music:

I was just reading a post here about how scarce they seem to be, at least in some areas. Then the first sale I hit, there it is in a pile of BPC. There was one technics that I passed on but probably should have picked up for somebody else. Good times.

Still looking for a service manual though. Maybe I need to make a different thread for that...we shall see.

Rick

Here's A Original One !

No affiliations-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Origina...ryZ50594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Good score Rick,
I know its Hard to spend more on the O.M. or S.M.
than you did on the unit,but I do it all the time.
So which room is this one going into when she's
Prettied up???
I need to get ahold of Rob myself to see if he can
work his Magic on a case for an old Scott 272 Im
trying to get,Take a ticket and stand in line I guess
Im sure we all keep him busy here at AK,Aye Rob!!!
Mark

This one will go in the living and replace the luxman r351. I might just have to suck it up and buy it. It doesn't hurt to put out the feelers though. Thanks for the head check Mark.

Rick

Great score for $10.The 70's Marantz are pretty scarce around here.I never see one working or not in all my travels.

Marantz 2245 needs some love

Hi Rick, Nice score. The 2245's are one of the nicer sounding receivers imo. If your Marantz needs some good lovin, I would be more than willing to come on over and bring it home with me.....lol. Man that sounds weird :scratch2: ..I'm one sick puppy. :yes:

Nice score, I really like my 2245. There's a place on the web that has a database of schematics, I have to see if I can find the address. If you need the whole service manual you might have to wait and see if someone has one to share or you can try ServiceManuals.net and download it right to your computer.

Nice. The 2245 has a relatively decent amount of power that is going to sound better than, say, my buddy's 2215 or this other guy's 4230. My 2285B is plenty loud for my purposes, I basically don't ever need to turn it past 9:00.

Thanks guys. I have a 2270 sm (not a 2245, someone here said that they are about the same) but I am not completely sure that they are that similar. Can any of you verify that the bias and dc offset values are the same?

rick

Get the manual. That is a great receiver. Most 70s Marantz units can have their DC offset adjusted with just a twist of a screw.

Ken

There is virtually no difference btween the 2245 and the 2270 (except for some higher rated components like the transformer and main amp drivers). Otherwise identical.

DH

Klownschool said:
Thanks guys. I have a 2270 sm (not a 2245, someone here said that they are about the same) but I am not completely sure that they are that similar. Can any of you verify that the bias and dc offset values are the same?

rick

Back
Top Bottom