1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

My first Sansui is a Six

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Lo-Fidelity, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

Picked up this cool Sansui Six at an estate sale. The owners son was pretty sure his dad had bought it new.

When I first powered it up with FM there was only a faint sound from the speakers. After a few minutes of playing with the knobs it came to life. I dexo'd the input and speaker selectors and all seems to be well. I am little concerned about a slight pop on the left channel at power down. That said, I am pretty happy with this little receiver.

Anybody know what the crud is inside the cover?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Lo-Fidelity

Sansui experts, did I buy the Edsol of Sansui or marry the ugly stepsister? I was all excited about my first piece of Sansui equipment, and not one welcome to the club? Makes a guy want to go back to the Marantz side of the forum.

3. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

No No - please don't go back to Marantz..... You have reached your destination. The Six is one of the "single digits", sort of royalty among Sansui receivers. It is an excellent performer, full complementary direct coupled darlington, and the most impressive 2 x 29 watts/8 ohm you are likely to find. Welcome to the Sansui forum, you have begun your journey well. :thmbsp:

4. moinau

moinau Je me Souviens

Well, let me be the first (correction, the second),,, welcome to the Sansui club, and no, you can't go back to the Marantz side. Your soul now belong to Sansui.:D

As far as your receiver, I don't know much about it.

5. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to the Sansui Forum! Lots of good advice and help here. Al

6. Lo-Fidelity

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am really enjoying the sweet sound of the Six.

7. slimecity

slimecity Super Member

There are a few dodgy Sansuis around but this isnt one of them. I refurbed an Eight and it was lovely. Some of the dodgier ones (later years, quite plasticky & more cheaply made) are the "R' and "A" series receivers.

8. Lo-Fidelity

Slimecity,
    Good to hear on the build quality. I don't have much to compare with, but it looked very solid when I had the cover off. Much trouble to change the lights? There are a couple of dial lamps out, but I didn't have much time to examine how I might get to them.

9. Go Giants

Go Giants Well-Known Member

Old thread, but I'm looking at a Six now. I'll grab it if the price is right. I have a 4000 and an 800 already. I believe the Six is in the middle of those two regarding power. I don't need it, but I cant resist....lol. Those early Sansui's had exceptional amp sections.

10. stereofun

stereofun Super Member

As you can read, some of us love the Six. It will however sound a bit different from your cap coupled 4000 / 800. Not quite as bassy / warm or wolly.....or however you wanna put it - instead it's more detailed, clean and succinctly punchy, yet still very musical :thumbsup:

Go Giants likes this.
  11. desertlizard

desertlizard AK Subscriber Subscriber

Great find, enjoy it.

12. Lo-Fidelity

I still use mine everyday, but as a preamp feeding a MC2100. Very nice unit and I like the two turntable inputs. Have a Dual 1009 and a Dual 1019 connected.

I also have a Marantz 2238b connected to the MC2100 as a preamp and the voicing is indistinguishable between the two units.

Let us hear how you like yours.