My girlfriends unusual home speaker shoot- out choices????FUNNY??

These are 442s and I liked them quite a bit, but liked the 44s I had before more. Same sources when I had them. My wife liked the 44s better too. Come to think of it, we do this most Saturday Nights! :)

First challenge is predicated on if she is into music or not. If no, good luck. All of this gear is just potentially unattractive old clunky stuff that takes up space at a focal point in the room. In addition, many folks, including significant others, often simply like listening to the lyrics as that is what takes them to the place they want to go with it. That's why these crappy bluetooth speakers seem to be the trend. Have you listened to modern current music these days? lyrics that use about 2% of the English language and singers that don't stop signing to leave room for the others in the band to be do their thing and be heard. Engineers throw on a bass beat track that is good enough to suggest a beat on any speaker.
Second challenge is if you have a clue about styling and design or not. Most of us could easily forget what these things look like and have them primarily based on performance - or hope of performance. The fact they are 2' wide and 3' tall gets forgotten. Everything else in the room is a completely different style of furniture, texture color, period etc. Cant blame her. Give it some thought guys.
And if you haven't figured this one out yet, this is often an opportunity to excuse spending bigger money on a pair of speakers that do both well. There are some fantastic looking speakers out there that are also nowadays small. And if you have to, go with satellites and hide a sub somewhere. And guess what, subs don't even need to be all that big these days either.
There was a reason a lot of this started with bookshelf speakers back in the day. They kinda made the most sense, right?
But, I always ask when I get push back from others, " Are you actually living in this space or just making it look like a way to live." My thing, with a littel effort, a great interactive space can also look great with some effort......and of course a little $.

I agree with drugolf above, however that is not a show stopper! It is possible to get great gear that fits in well with your decor theme. It takes a little longer, but it is possible. There is every kind of style available in good quality gear. You have to open your mind that there has to be compromises. Give and take is important.

I have to downsize. I always seem to accumulate all kinds of excess gear at this time of the year. Then I spend the rest of it moving it on. Then the cycle restarts...

Well put Drugolf. I viewed the Polk Monoliths as a sound upgrade, to me they look fine in the room,, They were originally going in the basement, but i decided to give them a chance to see the light of day. I asked her today what she thinks after a week long audition she says " I like the speakers " ," i hear things i've never heard before ", and " i'll like them better when you refinish them ". But in the same breath the words " it's nice to have relics on display " where also spoken, lol ! They have some battle scars, but overall presentable. It's cold here in Michigan still, Refinishing in the garage will have to wait a few more weeks for the temps to rise. The Sda's may have found a home, my Kenwwod amp upstairs....not gonna happen.

now you know her limits which are based mostly on their size, impact on the room and looks. She is hinting they could look better of course. So, with that, keep on the lookout for something with similar form factor/size. Take your time and something superior in quality to the Polks will come up and that also look better.

Back
Top Bottom