My good karma holds to the very end! A bit long...

Army

Addicted Member
Heres the story:
The day before Thankgiving I get a PM from an AK Buddy (Charivari) that says there are a pair of your favorite speakers close by for sale, are you interested? I look at the brief copy of the text thats says my receivered died so I don't need these Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's anymore, with an e-mail addy.
I'm like hell ya I'm interested, I love the sound of my first pair! I could use a pair in the family room!
So I e-mail the guy, and 5 minutes later I get a reply with a win.zip file. Crap I don't have the software to open it. So I flash off an e-mail tell the seller just that. A few minutes goes by and nothing. So I keep playing around with the file and finally open just the text. They are in excellent condition all drivers work, excellent cosmetics and the guy is willing to deliver with in about 45 minutes of me. But doesn't know what he wants for them. :sigh:
I e-mail him back telling him that I already own a pair don't need to see the pictures. And when can we get together since my work schedule has me traveling a lot these days, over the long weekend would be great. I offer to come pick them up pay in cash, providing I can afford them, and he can set a fair price etc...etc... Nothing....
So I figured I might have come on too strong? And or someone else had jumped on them. It has happened to me a few times someone with deep pockets makes a better offer and I'm shit out of luck! Oh well thats the way it goes!

So Saturday morning still no reply, I figure what the heck either the guy is busy or they are sold already, I've nothing to lose! I send off another e-mail again with my phone number, telling him I'd be willing to drive down and take a look Saturday or Sunday if that works for him. Wait all day long more of the same. I pm JP and ask where he found the info on these, on Bobby Shreds website was the reply. JP told me the guy e-mailed him to see if I was the one JP was referring to? He thankfully replied back you yes Army's the guy I was talking about. Now I'm pretty sure I'm screwed! Forget about it, it isn't going to happen! Because I didn't know that this had happened till later.

Saturday evening " Hi are you looking to buy my speakers? Sorry we were busy and I wanted to check to make sure the first guy (Charivari aka JP)that contacted me about a friend in Iowa got first dibs" We shot the breeze for a while, the guy was about my age and his wife wanted rid of those BIG ugly speakers. She wants Blose. He's pretty unhappy about that, but must give in. We strike a deal and decide to meet where I was working this morning. Almost forgot, during our discussion he mentioned he had the watkins woofers replaced. Said he went to a high dollar audio outlet four or five years ago and purchased replacements after he told them what he had and brought in one of the woofers. Crap I'm thinking need to find a couple of originals.

Now I'm getting really excited, Mrs Clause said I'd been a good boy this year :naughty: And these would be my Christmas present from her. Oh hell ya because I couldn't really afford them if they weren't from her. My audio hobby budget was waaay low...

But till they were in my hot little hands, I just couldn't believe this was going to happen. Like I mentioned earlier, I've been burned before when I got my hopes up.

So I call him this morning, when he said he'd be available, no answer... Starting to get a little nervous... About 45 minutes later I get the call!

He drives them up an hour one way and was one hellva nice guy! Said he was glad to know someone who would truely enjoy these got them!

When we go to load these, I thought I wonder what the replacement woofer looks like. Pull the grill of and there before my eyes is a Watkins woofer :jawdrop: Looks like new!

Well that's the story of how my good karma held, thanks to JP's headup and taking the time to follow thru :thmbsp:

JP if I can ever return the favor, you know I will ! Thank you very much!

Now I have a pair that look outstanding for the livingroom and a pair that when restored a bit, that will look very good in the family room downstairs:thmbsp:

It will be a while before I can fire these up, they have been outside in the cold all day. Man I can't wait :)

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Army

Attachments

• Infinities.jpg
    Infinities.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Woo-Woo! Enjoy your new babies, Scott.

When you get them set up, you can take your wife dancing, in the living room, and the family room, both.

Alright! I'm glad you were able to snag them and that they're in such great condition. That stereo place must've picked up the last of the Watkins replacements from Infinity (or purchased them from Watkin's business venture).

I wanted to see those big Infinities go to someone I knew would take care of them and appreciate them, looks like they have. Just consider yourself lucky that I remembered you being in Iowa. :thmbsp:

Soo, are you going to let us know how it sounds to have four RS 2.5s running stacked?
- JP

Charivari said:
I wanted to see those big Infinities go to someone I knew would take care of them and appreciate them, looks like they have. Just consider yourself lucky that I remembered you being in Iowa. :thmbsp:

Soo, are you going to let us know how it sounds to have four RS 2.5s running stacked?
- JP

These will be appreciated for years to come :yes:

If I could manage to stack these it would be something. But as good as these sound one pair at a time, really no need to stack. Although when I find enough amplification for these power greedy towers, I'd love to hear what four of them could pump out! I think it would be mind blowing :)

If all goes to plan, I will be bringing a pair to AKfest06 powered by Retrostereo's Spec 1 & 2 combo :thmbsp:

Only an hour and a half till I can fire the new set up, counting the minutes...

Then, glad to hear you were able to get Mrs Clause into the act and help with good audio. Man, big vintage Infinities with SPEC gear powering it, sounds like that'll be something awesome to hear. Watkins woofers and planar mids and tweets with lots of good clean power has me envious. Even with just that puny little receiver of yours (j/k), those speakers should sound very good if half of what you've said about your other pair is true.

Well, got another Karma point to add to my collection, hopefully I'll be able to gain enough to cash 'em in on one of my big dream speakers.

Only ~50 mins 'till playing time.
- JP

Never heard of `em.....but by all accounts you struck it big time.
Congrats on your find Army!!

Back
Top Bottom