My head is spinning right round....

...right round baby right round.....

Hehe...new guy here. I have had a fondness for audio gear for quite some time, and loved the late 70's to early 80's stuff. Lots of switches, dials, and needles everywhere! I am not a fan of the new plastic stuff, although I must admit some of the more expensive modern stuff does sound fantastic.

So just recently I got the urge to splurge! Decided my house needs a proper stereo again....and remembering a fondness for a certain hot babysittter when I was much younger and her console stereo system, that I listened the heck out of the Breakfast In America record on (yeah yeah, vinyl...my bad) with headphones on, I rushed right out and overspent for one.

What I purchased is a bit of a quandary. It's labelled as "Glenwood by Studiotone". The unit is a very heavy Teak veneer, with some minor water marks (likely hold my beer moments) but with no other imperfections. It contains a Dual 1010 turntable (turns but needs servicing, tone arm not dropping and when set to manual won't shut off, haven't checked RPM yet). The speakers appear to be 10" woofers, 4" mids, and horn tweeters. I haven't opened the speaker compartments yet which are completely enclosed and are ported at the bottom with about 4" ports.

Now for the mystery bit, the receiver. The manual is calling it a StudioTone T170 by Korting. The face of the unit states 'Solid State Stereo FET 170'. Inside there is a "Made In Canada" sticker but not much more for identifiers. The seller said that the AM was not working but everything else was (hey...what about the turntable??). But by the time I got there, there was no FM either which he claimed he was listening to the entire day before. Well, I thought, this cabinet is crazy solid and looks amazing (some minor blemishes...but nothing you could notice without looking very close). The seller says his grandparents purchased it in 1963 new, but the label in the back may indicate 1967 manufacture date, but does confirm the Teak finish.

Home FINALLY!: So I said screw it...and bought it...knocked $60 off his asking price (I knew something was up when he said the AM wasn't working...so I assumed there was more to it). I still paid way too much...but such is life, the heart wants what the heart wants. So, I get it powered up, no lights, but 6Vac at bulbs. Same as at the sellers place, no AM, FM, FM Stereo, or SW (that's right...shortwave...suck it). However, I am getting Phono input (this unit has a phono input and phono pre-amp input) via the finger scratch methods (cartridge got munched in transit so no LP test). The tape input also worked using my phone as an input device. The base was very muddy...actually it was all muddy, but I have experienced this when using the 'headphone out' to 'tape in' on a couple receivers so I wasn't surprise. The volume wasn't amazing but it made me smile anyhow.

So here I am, I really want to make this console sing again, and I intend on repairing the turntable (I know, maybe replace with a 1200 series or something...but heck...let's fix this first). This thing has a metric crap-tonne of caps, and carbon resistors. Seriously, by the time a hunt down the problem, I may as well replace it all which could take months given my work schedule. I am pretty sure that two of the power caps have packed it in, and who knows where from there. The other three power caps are holding 9v forever, but I haven't confirmed the two suspects don't have sink resistors on them yet.

So on one hand I would love to keep this console original, but no matter how hard I look I can't find any info on this unit...so how do I set the bias on it if I don't know the test point!? Then my second thought....I could get my hands on a realistic STA-2000 or pioneer SX-790 right now...remember I like the buttons, switches and dials?

SO you tell me, do I attempt to fix the old studiotone, do I replace with the 70-80's era gear that I love, or GASP....I have my eye on the Sony HAP-S1 which would connect with my media library so nicely. I figure at that point I will dig into the speaker boxes and see what's what in there....but first I must make music to justify the cost to the CFO in the house. The way the console is built I would say the receiver had a housing, but was removed from the housing and bottom mounted to the console near the record storage area (I have to remove a cover where you see the bare wood to get at the screws holding the receiver in place). So really, anything with a similar face dimension could be mounted in this cabinet and no one would be the wiser.

Thanks for reading all this...and if anyone has any input I am all for it...really at the end of the day I want to rock the house with this console and maybe a pair of external speakers.....and I am betting this existing receiver back in the 60's was mid level at best then....and not going to do what I want anyway with a rebuild. Given that the Dual 1010 was mid=low level at the time. It's amazing how robust the cabinet is though.

Some internals of the Korting Unit

Amplifiers S2003-1 x 4 (2n type with very small heatsink plate)
Drivers 6729 x 2 and 6722 x 2

Any idea on the power output?

Edit: sorry editted to hopefully make this a bit easier to read...beer...it's a slippery slope.

Ian

Attachments

• 20180409_193412.jpg
    20180409_193412.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 20180409_193623.jpg
    20180409_193623.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 20180409_193635.jpg
    20180409_193635.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 20180409_193313.jpg
    20180409_193313.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 20180409_193323.jpg
    20180409_193323.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Welcome to AudioKarma. Can you show use the speakers please? I guess the power to be about 8 watts.

Oh dear...that won't do. Anyhow I was mistaken, the horn tweeters are not horns at all....instead there's four speakers?? Guessing two mids and a tweeter setup? Looks like a speaker upgrade is in order as well then.... although the speaker 'cabinet' space may be too small for any serious thumps. If you look in the bottom right you can see the 4" port pointing down.

I wasn't sure as the NTE equivalent power transistor is listed at 115W....which didn't make sense. My electronics knowledge rusted past revival...so others might have a better idea.

Edit: oh wait some rust shook loose...thats 115W at max input voltage (which I think was 60V for that trans)...which is far more than the old studiotone could provide...got it.

Attachments

• 20180409_215728.jpg
    20180409_215728.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Hold on, nine watts is just a not so wild guess. And there's lots of good things in that speaker picture. Looks like the typical efficient console speaker set up. Many of which sound very good with any number of 1965/1975 transplanted receivers of appropriate appearance. And are those two caps all there is to the speaker crossover? And those paper accordion surrounds are still good? If so then lets just cut to the chase.
How long is it going to take you to wire in whatever receiver you have handy to test the speakers out for sound quality?

Last edited:
No worries, my plan was to use those and an external pair. The console speakers for the easy work and the externals for when the wife is house cleaning (she likes it loud!).

Anyhow, yeah the speakers are fully intact, if you didn't know better they look almost new. I do have a cheapy aiwa stereo in the garage that actually shakes the windows...well they rattle anyhow. My plan is to pull the unit in the house and power the speakers to see if they are acceptable. I just have a crazy work schedule. Got home last night, posted this and had a beer...dinner and bed. Figure if I don't like them or they don't hold up it will at least have a funky smoke show....

The caps are in fact the only form of crossover. Should I bother with a proper crossover if the sound is ok assuming i will be replacing those caps anyhow. The wire pair goes directly to the amp from the speakers.

From a talk with the CFO we have agreed to shelve the Korting for future renewal if the mood strikes me and proceed with a non destructive upgrade of the console...she infact found a recently 'serviced' marantz 1550 that she likes. Keeping in mind this money is coming out my new computer funds! :eek:

Ian

Last edited:
The reason I asked about the crossover was to see if it's ready to test the speakers with a another amp or if part of the cross is built in to the original amp somehow. When you start adding outboard speakers I would think efficiency match with the console speakers to be the concern. I can't advise you on cross changes. I do think those speakers will sound very good with any receiver that works right.

Last edited:
I get it. Yeah I would assume from units I have had in the past that when the externals are being used the internals will be turned off. There's always the option of buying four matched towers, and gut two for use in the console, but I'd think the sizing of the console speaker cabinets would also cause issues...as well as blowing up my budget.

Ian

On my last goround with one of these I just stuck the whole Dynaco A25's in the hole and called it good. Trying to restuff that speaker space with new guts sounds like a bucket of worms.

Yeah, I understand it's a bit more challenging than finding some speakers that'll fill the holes. It's a lot easier when you are doing it just to have a fun conversation piece that you enjoy, than an effort to try and turn something into a profit. When I am done, I am sure the package will be worth considerably less than the components I put in it....don't care...that's not why I started it.

Looks like another late night for me, sound test will have to wait another day.

Ian

nice project. but LOTS of work.

speakers: leave alone. don't like the sound? re-engineer, start with internal speaker volume,
"select" replacements (unless you know the current speaker specs and like the sound and
wish to optimize everything else), use a speaker app to design ports, and new crossover.
using old crossover is saving pennies and wasting dollars.

TT: fix or replace. BUT do note (I played with consoles before), that the louder, the less
isolated the cabinet is, etc, you will get feedback. the original design was carefully tuned
to avoid this. go BIG isolation.

receiver. pull, fix, recap. thing is older than you. you don't have your baby teeth and neither
does the receiver. this will cost you big time if there's some problem in the AM or FM or SW
circuits. expect to spend $$ if you don't troubleshoot this yourself. Easier and cheaper to
replace but don't go Godzilla and put in a 10K Pioneer SX1980.

new stuff. find space for a new shelf. cloth cover front panel to allows IR remote control
access. or if there's a bottom space, mount underneath. or get that new receiver
with new doodads. build a robotic arm that lowers new stuff, moves towards the front,
clears the front then gears itself up to allow manual access. allow room for cables.

I use to love consoles. all that gear in something elegantly wood. but the minute I
put a Sherwood 8910a - all hell broke loose. feedback on anything more than a whisper
from the turntable. it was the unitary structure, with a coupled turntable and unisolated
speakers. had to use headphones all the time.

good luck, do let us know how it progresses - ignore my mistakes - more than
enough information today to fix ALL problems.

korting is a valid manufacturere, but nothing on the T170, are there any papers or things glued inside it with a model or chassis number?

Thanks Bob, you're thinking what I was. I am thinking a Pioneer SX- 750-780...although there is a SX-960 for a reasonable price nearby. I agree that rebuilding the existing receiver is going to be a big can of worms that I don't have time for now. I can get those units relatively cheaply now and can offload easily if I do get around to rebuilding the Korting. The turntable is definately a rebuild but will likely get little use and I will evaluate from there. I have experience with TT's and big speakers (gotta love Vega's!) So I know exactly what you are speaking of. It'll be more of a 'hey check out this record player I have" vs a " You must hear how wonderful this turntable sounds in the cabinet" kinda deal. Can you recommend speaker software? (Windows or android). I don't know the specs for these speakers and doubt anyone would. I would imagine pumping a 40-60watt amp into these would end them quickly...

Sorry quaddriver, nothing that I have found yet. The only sticker on the chasis is a "made in canada" sticker. I am really wondering if they just stole the Korting name. The cabinet itself is made in Toronto, by a now defunct company. My work schedule has given me very limited time free and I have been working on my network+ certification in that time as well. So I haven't dug too deep into it to be certain. There is a model number on the cabinet itself...I grab that when I get home.

Love to know what the as is speakers sound like with any small know to be good amp. When you get to it.

Last edited:
I may actually power them up over a beer. It's a very 'hard' room for any base. Think hardwood floor and plaster walls with one couch and chair. So if they impress me at all it will be a miracle. Everyone has been great here, trust me, you'll get daily updates. :naughty:

I may actually power them up over a beer. It's a very 'hard' room for any base. Think hardwood floor and plaster walls with one couch and chair. So if they impress me at all it will be a miracle. Everyone has been great here, trust me, you'll get daily updates. :naughty:
A hard room indeed. But none the less.

Sound off!!!

Well fired up the wifes' Sony bookshelf stereo that I bought her when we were dating and well...it was underwhelming. Base was muffled and weak. So, I thinks, this thing never had a lot of base but watching the woofer there was very little movement.

Beer in hand and off to the garage I go...in comes the dust, motor oil, grease covered aiwa all in one unit. Yes, audiophiles would toss it in the garbage but it does put out a significant amount of volume. Unfortunately the cd player is borked..so I try the strongest FM station. Not mind blowing but she chooched pretty good. Something is still not right and the background static is not helping. Okay, tape out from the sony to aux in on the aiwa. TAADAA i found some base! It's still very muddy but you can feel the base shaking the the floor and the CD skips..I'm on to something. The volume up very very loud I hear a bit of a buzz...okay simple problem, the board that the left woofer is attached to has a bit of looseness letting it buzz...a little glue can fix that later. Next problem, the 4" mid on the right is DOA, damnit....now what..hmm...gets it's pixies through that cap...I wonder...15uf...only got a 100uf in my shop...that'll do. Jumper the cap and voila! Mid is back on line. Looks like the speakers stay..but I need to find some kind of crossover me thinks.

From my best guess the woofer is getting way too much mids and highs...the speakers as a whole are very high. You can clearly hear a lot of vocals and the snares come through the woofers. So I guess I need to try a crossover but I know they are set to certain frequencies to match the speakers. Without any knowledge of the speaker specs its a roll of the dice. I am thinking even a mismatched crossover is better than some dead caps.

I will say even muddied everything seems tight. Even at full volume there is not near as much cone movemement as I expect to see.

Unfortunately progress will slow...we are waiting for some funds to come in that are owed...then the receiver hunt starts in earnest. I may start digging into that dual now.

Test units:
Sony CMT-EX1
Aiwa NSX-5200

Terms 'chooched' and 'pixies' TM to AvE

Attachments

• 20180410_200518.jpg
    20180410_200518.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Reactions: Bub
Slightly encouraging. I'm guessing you replaced the back speaker panel for the test. Might I suggest the usual live cap in dead cap out routine next? Whipping up a new cross might be moving from a bucket of worms to a can of worms. Given that you might now keep the speakers and not go the full monty.
Less worms but still worms.

Last edited:
Slightly encouraging. I'm guessing you replaced the back speaker panel for the test. Might I suggest the usual live cap in dead cap out routine next? Whipping up a new cross might be moving from a bucket of worms to a can of worms. Given that you might now keep the speakers and not go the fill monty.
Less worms but still worms.

Yeah I didn't screw it in (takes 15 screws!) But it fit very tightly in place...so not perfect but good enough for testing/trouble shooting. Again these aren't the main rockin the house speakers..so I am not looking for perfect sound reproduction. I might hunt down the four caps tomorrow and replace them and test again.

If crap goes crazy I may go with some AT-12's for the heavy lifting. The base (or bass??) isn't spectacular but far better than expected. Just need to clean it up a bit....buddy of mine just spotted an SX-980 in mint condition....no...no I don't have the cash....damn that thing is a work of art...no..no...overkill...stop...

Ian

Back
Top Bottom