My Hi-Fi

Another update

So I just picked up a Hafler DH 500 this week to compliment my also newly acquired Infinity RS IIs. Well this amp is just what these speakers needed! Wow!

My Sansui doesn't have pre amp/main amp jumpers like I thought it did for some reason. Luckily my Dads old "backup" amp does. So now I'm running the H/K 630 pre amp section with the DH 500, and man does it make these Infinitys sing!
Newest iteration of my system:

x6fy88.jpg

Eventually I'll reconfigure the shelves so I can put the Hafler on the very bottom.

I've been collecting more equipment, and this is what I have running in my upstairs 2 channel system now.
From top to bottom:
NAD C 556 turntable
Harman Kardon HK 630 preamp to Hafler DH 500 for vinyl
Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100
Harman Kardon AVR 8000 preamp to Hafler DH 500 for CD
Onkyo DX-C370 6 disc changer
Hafler DH 500 power amp

The Infinity RSIIs have moved downstairs now, so some Celestion Ditton 66 mkIIs have rotated into service upstairs. These little guys will need refinishing, but they cleaned up pretty nice with an orange oil wipe down.

Some more updated pics:

wlsuwk.jpg

nl6bls.jpg

jkvprc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! But if I may make one suggestion.....You may need to let the amps breath. They need air. Perhaps a more open audio rack?

Thanks slippers, i'm always very conscious of their operating temps. The only one that gets warm is the AVR 8000. I'm also very attached to this rack, its built like a big beautiful wooden tank.
I should look into building a ventilation/cooling system for the rack. The floor beneath the rack is the laundry/furnace room with exposed joists, so I could put a remote cooling fan in the basement and run a hose to a manifold inside the rack.

I'm also considering replacing the H/K630 for a Cambridge Audio 640P Phono preamp. Opinions, suggestions?

Updated pics:

New year, new gear.
I bought a TT off Guystp a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it.

Its a Nottingham Horizon Se which was airbrushed by Guystp and it gets compliments from everyone that comes in our house. Guy also fabricated a mounting bracket to house a Lustre GST-801 tonearm. I put an Ortofon 2M Bronze on it and have never been so pleased with how my system sounds.

I had to put my backup Carver C2 preamp into service after cleaning all the pots because my HK630 preamp began to act up once it was at operating temperature. I think a full recap/restoration is in it's future.

I found a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 on Kijiji to handle my digital media.
I also added a new digital source; the girlfriends laptop. I'm still a digital media noob, but i can finally play all our digital files on my main system and i'm also pleased with how it sounds as well.

So from top to bottom: (lol or right to left, I gave up trying to rotate the picture before and after uploading)

-Nottingham Horizon Se
-GF TubeDAC-09
-Carver C2 preamp
-H/K AVR 8000 (backup amp)
-Onkyo DX-C370 6 disc changer
-APC H15 Power conditioner
-Hafler DH-500 (custom candy paintjob by Guystp)

Attachments

• full rack.jpg
    full rack.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Nottingham Horizon SE.jpg
    Nottingham Horizon SE.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Lustre GST-801 and 2m Bronze.jpg
    Lustre GST-801 and 2m Bronze.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Celestion Ditton 66 mkII full room.jpg
    Celestion Ditton 66 mkII full room.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Full system reverse angle.jpg
    Full system reverse angle.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 108
system's looking really good! Glad you're happy with the Notty, it sure is a great performer that should last a long time.

Yeah, you've been busy over the past year. Some REALLY-nice stuff. LOVE the couches/loveseats (BOTH of them). You've really come a long way since you first joined. Well-done.

Thanks guys, this is a really addictive and rewarding hobby. I couldn't imagine coming home after work and not be able to listen to some tunes to relax and unwind.

Well, i have finally ventured into tubes and am very glad i did. The sound is so smooth, powerful, rich, and engaging. Its amazing really.

- Grant Fidelity Rita-880 integrated.
This heavy beast has been customized by Guystp with a zebra wood faceplace and copper paintjob on the top plate
RITA_880_Richtone_HDR.jpg

Tube_setup.jpg

Made a video just cause the meters and lights look so cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pqIZfSnC_w

***** UPDATED PICS *****

IMG_20160502_190417-01.jpeg IMG_20160527_201157-01.jpeg IMG_20160525_155147-01.jpeg
Haven't been very active on here lately, but i regularly pop in to read a thread or 2 in my down time.

My living room system has completely changed 2 or 3 times since my last update.

I'm now using a mid 60s Blaupunkt Barcelona console as an equipment stand. The amp is a Yamaha CA-2010, turntable is an Empire 598 III with a 4000D III cartridge. Phonostage is a Musical surroundings Nova II. The digital media is handled by my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11. Headphones are AKG K702, and Sennheiser HD 598. Isolation platforms are made by Massif Audio Design.
Celestion Ditton 662 are back on duty.

Last edited:
Very nice!!, I'm thinking about getting one of those NAD turntables myself. As you live with one, do you think changing speed by taking off the platter to move the belt gets annoying after a while??

Plenty of changes since my last update, so it's time to add some pics.

My latest iteration:

- JBL 4430
- Sansui 890
- Realistic RD-8100 with a Denon DL-103R
- Musical Surroundings Phonomena II with a custom Teddy Pardo power supply.
- Grant Fidelity Tubedac-11

20170715_170541-01.jpeg

20170715_185634-01.jpeg

20170715_201414-01.jpeg

20170404_191155-01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom