My humble but well-loved little system

Ned Blohard

Posted similar pics in the intro forum but I just picked up a new turntable so thought I'd post here as well!

Pioneer SX-750 driving Bose 901 MK1s through Bose Active Equalizer
Micro-Seiki MB-14 TT
Squeezebox Classic
Sony NC675P DVD Player (used as CD transport)
The Squeezebox and the DVD Player go through a Simaudio Moon 100d DAC

It's a humble system but it's mine and I love it!

How are you liking the 901's? I have a pair of 301 series 1 that will be my first speaker restoration project.
By the way, your setup looks real pretty.

How are you liking the 901's? I have a pair of 301 series 1 that will be my first speaker restoration project.

I really love the 901s, partly for sentimental reasons. I was recently gifted them by my father-in-law, who took great care of them since purchasing them in Hawaii in 1971... I haven't had the grill cloths off to see what state the surrounds are in, but they sound great. Really warm and full with nice punchy bass (the equalizer is a must... they don't sound near as good without it). Unfortunately I'm limited on space so I have them crammed into the corners of my room. I know placement is important with these and no doubt they'd sound better out from the corners. I currently have them toed out so that they throw things a bit toward the centre. It's amazing how much the sound changes just by rotating them a bit one way or the other.

I don't have any experience with 301s... good luck with your project!

20170326_224114.jpg 20170326_224127.jpg 20170326_224159.jpg

Last edited:
Funnily enough I got mine from my father in law, too.
I'll have a built in graphic equaliser on my integrated amp when I have a chance to fix that up, too. Do you think that the Bose EQ does the 901's a specific justice or could you acheive similar results with a run of the mill EQ?

Funnily enough I got mine from my father in law, too.
I'll have a built in graphic equaliser on my integrated amp when I have a chance to fix that up, too. Do you think that the Bose EQ does the 901's a specific justice or could you acheive similar results with a run of the mill EQ?

To be honest I'm not the guy to ask... I know there are several threads on here with many opinions. I'm relatively new to this hifi thing and have a pretty basic understanding of how things actually work... all I know is that my 901s sound much, much better with the Bose EQ hooked up... they have little bass and less highs without it. I do have the original manual with a map of the Bose curve but couldn't tell you if it would be achievable with a standard EQ. I'm happy to share if you need it!

Edit: Also I think the need for the Bose EQ might be a 901 issue... not sure it's as critical with your 301s. Something about the 901s basically having 9 mid-size speakers and no real woofer or tweeter to speak of.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm not the guy to ask... I know there are several threads on here with many opinions. I'm relatively new to this hifi thing and have a pretty basic understanding of how things actually work... all I know is that my 901s sound much, much better with the Bose EQ hooked up... they have little bass and less highs without it. I do have the original manual with a map of the Bose curve but couldn't tell you if it would be achievable with a standard EQ. I'm happy to share if you need it!

Edit: Also I think the need for the Bose EQ might be a 901 issue... not sure it's as critical with your 301s. Something about the 901s basically having 9 mid-size speakers and no real woofer or tweeter to speak of.
This was still quite helpful, tbh. I'll do my research. When I hooked up the 301's, they did sound pretty full on their own.
In any case, I'm sure you'll get lots of joy from your setup!

Anything on a pedestal is cool! I even have pedestals with nothing on them and they are cool. (awaiting speakers)

Love the 901's ... I bought mine back in 1981 (Series V) from a pawn shop in Rapid City SD. I was a sophomore in High School and they cost me a months pay. I ran them hard for 3-4 years and then sold them off to my older sister when I moved out to the west coast. 25 years later she asked me if I wanted them back - she said they were "blown" but it all actuality the surrounds rotted. They had been stored in her basement for 10-15 years and were still in great shape. I drug them home from a family reunion (1300 miles) and had them refoamed and tested. They are now my "house" speakers in the mancave - I never thought I would use them much but I wanted them for sentimental reasons. Truth be known ... I run them all the time. I too have learned to appreciate their sound ... great bass. My EQ had died from the humidity in her basement but a quick trip to eBay and I was back in business.

Mine are hanging from the ceiling and placed per the Bose 901 Series V owners manual. It works well but over the years they have been positioned in many different configurations and many seem to work well depending on the room. Nice little system ... looks perfect for the room. I tend to go overboard and my room looks like audio sales floor. I believe the 901 series one had cloth surrounds so they may play on for a long time.

FYI - You can Google and owners manual for the later series 901's, I think the placement is very similar for all series but I could be wrong.

ScreenShot307.jpg

Do you think that the Bose EQ does the 901's a specific justice or could you acheive similar results with a run of the mill EQ?

The Bose EQ is pretty much "required" to make 901's live up to their potential--many have tried (and failed) by trying to achieve the Bose EQ curve with a "standard" off-the shelf EQ--they just don't have enough adjustment available--even the big pro-audio EQ's. Also (and very important)--you have to have the correct EQ for the series of 901's that you own, because they have changed over the decades.

Also I think the need for the Bose EQ might be a 901 issue... not sure it's as critical with your 301s

A 901 EQ will not work with 301's--if you feel you need/want an EQ for 301's, just use any decent EQ.

I believe the 901 series one had cloth surrounds so they may play on for a long time.

You are indeed correct--the 901 series I should have cloth surrounds (barring any driver replacement/modifications), so you should be good to go for a long time.

ENJOY!!!

PS--just having the tulip stands is cool!!!

You are indeed correct--the 901 series I should have cloth surrounds (barring any driver replacement/modifications), so you should be good to go for a long time.

This is great news... thanks SPEC and Savatage! They sound great but I'm always wondering if having a look at the surrounds might lead to them sounding even better! Now I can relax a bit.

Love the 901's ... I bought mine back in 1981

Nice... my father in law bought these in 1971. He still loves coming to visit them! He definitely bonded with them over nearly 40 years of listening.

Would recommend checking out the drivers surrounds behind the grills. Make sure still ok, if they have never been refoamed.
I remember them from college dorms, playing Mott the Hoople.

Back
Top Bottom