My JBL story....

WaynerN

Addicted Member
Many moons ago (as a teenager), I purchased a pair of AR-2ax speakers. Later I added a pair of AR-5 speakers, both powered by a Marantz 240 power amp (3300 preamp). Little did I realize that the ARs required lots of power and I just didn't get the sound that I wanted. So both sets of ARs were traded in for a pair of JBL-L100s. I had these speakers for about 15 years. Before they left, I decided to bi-amp them so the woofers were removed from the inputs, attached to a second pair of input terminals and they were powered by the Marantz. The mids and tweeters were then powered by a Dynaco Stereo 70. You have to remember that I was young (and more then likely, foolish). I soon grew tired of the system and moved on.

Move now to a few months ago, I got the wants for another pair of JBLs, but not a pair of L100s. I found a pair of S109 Aquarius IV speakers. I really got into the nostalgic sound of these speakers. but because of the design, decided that they might suit themselves to being a "surround" speaker. I soon began another search for some JBLs that I could use as my mains. So many L100s, L26, L36.....on and on and on it went. Many were overpriced with almost all of them having problems. I just wasn't in the mood to do another repair.

Then doing a google search, I found the JBL website and there they were, the JBL Studio 580 speakers. After watching the site for a couple of weeks, they went on sale for $400 each, so I pulled the plug. I'm not going to do a review of these speakers, but all I can say is......over achiever!!! These speakers ended up in my "digital" room.

A month goes by and I visited the JBL website again to discover a smallish bookshelf speaker called the Studio 230 on sale for $300 for the pair (free shipping), so I again, pulled the plug.

They are now sitting in my vinyl room where there are 6 other pair of speakers, some very respectable in the audio community. My current plan is to write JBL a letter, explaining that they sent me the wrong speakers. I ordered the $300 a pair speakers (on sale, $400 regular price) and you guys accidentally sent me the $3,000 set.

Powered by my little Sony TA-55es power amp, these speakers have exhibited a power and sound stage that I, frankly, have never heard before. The horn tweeters are without any harshness, the bass is scary low and the dynamic range is startling. There simply is no $400 (or $300) pair of speakers that can compare.

So, in the end, I have become a fanboy. Its to the point where I understand that engineering good stuff is what makes the world go round, not the price.

I just wonder where I have been for all of these years, as both sets of speakers have been around for some time. I guess I've missed the boat in so many ways......

Wayner

Cool story. I have to say I have an appreciation for their late model offerings. I wouldnt mind trying out some of their other speakers.

Regards
Mister Pig

I'm probably reading too deep into this, but it sounds like you might even be saying the newer 230's top the larger (but last model) 580's?

I'm probably reading too deep into this, but it sounds like you might even be saying the newer 230's top the larger (but last model) 580's?

The 580s are awesome, however, for their size, the 230s were very impressive. The 580s look cool, sound awesome and they were no surprise. The 230 is a set of speakers I'm going to recommend to lots of people, especially noobs. At an occasional sale price of $300, why not?

My current plan is to write JBL a letter, explaining that they sent me the wrong speakers. I ordered the $300 a pair speakers (on sale, $400 regular price) and you guys accidentally sent me the $3,000 set.

It sounded to me like you said they really sent you the wrong speakers.

Anyhow, glad you are happy. Not too many fans of newer JBL home audio speakers.

Huh...very interesting 'tale' - and very similar to mine!
I started out with the (then) brand new advents in philly as a teen (with a heathkit pre I built and some kind of used tube amp and fisher tuner I got on skid row audio shops off market street somewhere), and thought they were the bomb until I came west and found a great audio store who introduced me to JBL for the first time.
I was lucky to have decent (union!) job in college, so 'eschewed' the L100s and went upmarket to the L200s instead (even took out a bank loan for them!).
Interestingly, they also sold me the exact same marantz pre and power amps...both of which failed within a couple of years (as did several of the marantz replacements), so I ended up mostly with sony silver faced stuff pres and a variety of amps over the years (including a jbl sa 660)!!
Then followed the 'l200-to-quasi-l300' path, and never looked back...until recently, when, like you, I've been just astounded with the sound they get out of their little guys (305s, in my case). Even the L5s I snagged cheap on CL lose in comparison to the 305s, by quite a bit.
I've been very tempted by your (and other) reports on the 5 series and now the 230s...but so far have resisted, but who knows - still have a guest bedroom setup to put together (mostly for the heck of it).
I really liked your 'why did you send me a $3000 set of speakers' comment - sure agree that the value per buck is just Out There.
Bark and complain about vintage vs chinesium, but mfg tech sure has come a long way in the last 10 years or so.
Thanks for the great story, and user report!!

JBLs are very cool - tho you do have to poke around a bit to find the diamonds among the chaff.
They produced lots of "ok" speakers over the years, and there are some tin-eared "fans" that swear by the chaff -
... sounds like you found some of the nice ones and really enjoy them.
Hold on to them and enjoy! Very cool!

Last edited:
JBLs are very cool - tho you do have to poke around a bit to find the diamonds among the chaff.
They produced lots of "ok" speakers over the years, and there are some tin-eared "fans" that swear by the chaff -
... sounds like you found some of the nice ones and really enjoy them.
Hold on to them and enjoy! Very cool!

Oh yes, I agree. I did lots of reading on both units for some time before I made the purchases. But in the end, there was hardly a bad word for either model, with the exception of a few comments that they were bright. My counter to that is that they are not bright, but rather, very clear and detailed. You will notice it the very second that they are fired up for the first time.

I will say the 580s are better suited for dual duty (AV and music) perhaps more so then the 230s, but I have no way to bring the 230s into my digital/av room.

I'm glad JBL is still making some nice speakers.

I have an older S-Center (Studio Series) center channel speaker that I'm really happy with and both of my subs are JBL (10" 150-watt and 12" 250-watt), again, no complaints.

Hmmmmm. Really interesting. I use a pair of JBL 4301b in my office and love them. I wonder if the studio 230 would be an upgrade. The JBL site is offering them at $299 a pair with free shipping......

Well, as I said before, I had a pair of L100s and I would rather have the 230s. L100s were more pretty tho.....

I have no doubt that the Studio 230 is an impressive small speaker. I have two pairs of the LSR305s which are powered monitors with 5-inch woofers and a far more sophisticated HF wave-guide derived from the M2 design. They'll blow away an L100, plus they include two on-board amps in each speaker—plus they are normally found for $100 less than even the Studio 230s.

Looking forward to another Mid-Atlantic small JBL shoot-out to include the LSR305!

I own JBL with 18-inch woofers down to 5-inch woofers, and enjoy them all. :thumbsup:

I'm powering the 230s with a Sony TA-55es power amp (110 watts RMS per channel) and the 580s are powered by a Sunfire II (@6 ohms would be approx. 500 watts RMS per channel), the 580s are not bi-wired or bi-amped (at this time).

Yes, the powered monitors look compact, powerful and impressive. They could be teamed up with a nice preamp for an inexpensive (but awesome) system, prefect for a smaller room (my vinyl room is 12 x 15 (8 foot ceiling). The 580s are in the digital room that is 28 x 32 (b foot ceilings). Surely, room size should be considered for good integration.

I am mad at myself for ignoring JBL for all of these years, however, I am also kind of mad at JBL for their lack of advertising. I subscribe to Stereophile and the Absolute Sound, and really don't recall ever seeing an ad in either mag for JBL speakers. Kind of hard to sell stuff when no one knows about it.

I'm powering the 230s with a Sony TA-55es power amp (110 watts RMS per channel) and the 580s are powered by a Sunfire II (@6 ohms would be approx. 500 watts RMS per channel), the 580s are not bi-wired or bi-amped (at this time).

Yes, the powered monitors look compact, powerful and impressive. They could be teamed up with a nice preamp for an inexpensive (but awesome) system, prefect for a smaller room (my vinyl room is 12 x 15 (8 foot ceiling). The 580s are in the digital room that is 28 x 32 (b foot ceilings). Surely, room size should be considered for good integration.

I am mad at myself for ignoring JBL for all of these years, however, I am also kind of mad at JBL for their lack of advertising. I subscribe to Stereophile and the Absolute Sound, and really don't recall ever seeing an ad in either mag for JBL speakers. Kind of hard to sell stuff when no one knows about it.

Wait a minute. Isn't that what many folks rag on companies for, spending money on advertising in the mags and getting good reviews? Also that ad money drives prices up, so consumers don't get a good value. Seems like if they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I would also suspect that speakers like your 230's get reviewed in magazines like Sound and Vision because they have been marketed to an HT application, or more of a lifestyle component. And that volume selling is one reason they might be so affordable.

I am just glad that JBL is still able to be profitable and stay around, I enjoy my big late model JBL's more and more as the months pass.

Regards
Mister Pig

I went out on a limb a few years ago and bought a pair of JBL 6332s. I was not happy with what I had. A pair of self powered monitors. Was pretty much shocked at how realistic those 6332s sounded. Still have them in the rotation. Back in the 1970s I had a pair of JBL L110s. Those were very accurate and detailed sounding. I have been though a few systems since then, but had also forgotten about JBL. Those folks pretty much disappeared from the audio seen. As you and others have said, the newer JBLs are very good sound for the money. But as HJAMES stated: there may be some turkeys in the lineup.

Back
Top Bottom