My JBL story....

Interesting. I see it as due to the many advances in speaker development and manufacturing over the last 50 years. Now we have all kinds of high tech methodologies for both. Also the advance in popularity of music and of course, the advent of digital sound are factors as well == more people used to and demanding high quality sound. I have virtually no time to listen to music but of the speakers I have had, I have been greatly impressed by a pair of small bookshelf speakers which I obtained at a "Habitat For Humidity" shop for almost nothing. All of these small sized, well designed speakers are better at reproducing the mids and highs which give music the definition and clarity we enjoy.

My Studio 230s sound better then the AR-4X, better then my Dynaco A25XLs, Better then my Focal 706v. Better bass, better imaging, non-fatiguing. Best $300 I ever spent (sale price), $400 when not on sale. For a smaller room, they work it very well.

You bought some 580s? Wow! I have mine hooked up to my Sunfire II (330 WRMS per channel). I really haven't jumped on the volume very much (I like the slow break-in thing). I have a small REL T-5 sub in the corner as support, don't really know if I need it (probably room dependent). I just wish that I could have got the cherry finish (mine are black).

Yes, I'm super excited about them. They're still breaking in, currently at 25 hrs (playing right now). I'm feeding them a steady diet of 180 WRMS per channel at 6 ohms via the YAMAHA P1600 power amp, at mostly moderate levels.
Earlier today I sat down to listen in 'just for a few minutes'. 2 hrs later, I'm still sitting there grinning & cranking it.
I can tell the compression drivers still have a ways to go 'til fully broken in, but even besides that, the speakers are already doing so many things right.
The realism and dynamics are on another level.
The most magical sounding hi-fi speakers I've ever heard in my life.

Regarding the cherry veneer, it does look incredible on pictures.
I plan on veneering mine with some real wood veneer down the road.

My Studio 230s sound better then the AR-4X, better then my Dynaco A25XLs, Better then my Focal 706v. Better bass, better imaging, non-fatiguing. Best $300 I ever spent (sale price), $400 when not on sale. For a smaller room, they work it very well.
Seriously? Sound and Vision review describe the 230 as bright, especially in loud volume.

How about their soundstage depth?

Harsh? I actually had to turn the treble up a bit (matching them to my Dynaco A25XLs). I use them for vinyl listening, and just can;t find too many faults with them. Perhaps I have better electronics to run them with then Sound and Vision did. (Audio by Van Alstine Vision-Q, Insight + pre, Sony Ta-55ES amp, DIY interconnects, KnuKonceptz speaker wire).

I have had my eyes on the JBL Studio 220 for a very small room with a workbench where I do small hobby stuff, reloading or some other projects. In this case the 220 would be very nearfield at about 3 -4 feet away. Been running some very small Sony speakers in there but the 220 might be a real kick. .

Alobar - so, why not LSR305s rather than 220s? Just a few bucks more ea, and includes amps, making them really versatile.
https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors/LSR305_.html
Do the 220s have better drivers or sound than the 305s? Curious, as I'm looking at (maybe) another pair of 305s for a guest room system...:)

Last edited:
Harsh? I actually had to turn the treble up a bit (matching them to my Dynaco A25XLs). I use them for vinyl listening, and just can;t find too many faults with them. Perhaps I have better electronics to run them with then Sound and Vision did. (Audio by Van Alstine Vision-Q, Insight + pre, Sony Ta-55ES amp, DIY interconnects, KnuKonceptz speaker wire).
I see.

How about the JBL 290's sound stage depth? Is it deep? Do you hear sound from behind the speakers?

(Because, actually, it's the quality I've been looking for :( )

Alobar - so, why not LSR305s rather than 220s? Just a few bucks more ea, and includes amps, making them really versatile.
Do the 220s have better drivers or sound than the 305s? Curious, as I'm looking at (maybe) another pair of 305s for a guest room system...:)
I bought a pair of LSR305s when they dropped under $200/pair and was so impressed I bought another pair when I saw them at that price point again. I listen to the first pair frequently and enjoy them immensely but don't have them in a permanent room system. I will frequently play them in the same room with L5s, 4412A, L96, and the Pro-III Plus system where they perform admirably. The second pair has never been out of their box but I know I'll find a place or a family member for them who will be amazed at their sound and never even know what they cost.

I see.

How about the JBL 290's sound stage depth? Is it deep? Do you hear sound from behind the speakers?

(Because, actually, it's the quality I've been looking for :( )

I have not heard the 290 but it is the largest floor stander in the 2 series. My 230s project in all directions very well, I am one of those listeners that really likes "air" around the recording and depth of image. That is the striking thing about the 230s is their horn tweeter. It makes positioning them easier as it doesn't seem to be all that critical (but mine are aimed with very tight tolerances). In fact there are many times when my wife and I look at each other in disbelief from the sound effects produced by these smallish speakers. I got mine on sale for $300 the pair. By far, the best $300 audio bargain I have ever been involved in. BTW, I also own Focals, Dynaco, AR, Advent, Paradigm, Martin/Logan, Klipsch, Empire and other vintage JBL speakers.

My new 580 and 230 speakers made this one of the funnest musical summers I have ever had. Sure I wish they were in nice, beautiful walnut cabinets, but I got over that aspect. JBL put the build in the drivers.

I have not heard the 290 but it is the largest floor stander in the 2 series. My 230s project in all directions very well, I am one of those listeners that really likes "air" around the recording and depth of image. That is the striking thing about the 230s is their horn tweeter. It makes positioning them easier as it doesn't seem to be all that critical (but mine are aimed with very tight tolerances). In fact there are many times when my wife and I look at each other in disbelief from the sound effects produced by these smallish speakers. I got mine on sale for $300 the pair. By far, the best $300 audio bargain I have ever been involved in. BTW, I also own Focals, Dynaco, AR, Advent, Paradigm, Martin/Logan, Klipsch, Empire and other vintage JBL speakers.

My new 580 and 230 speakers made this one of the funnest musical summers I have ever had. Sure I wish they were in nice, beautiful walnut cabinets, but I got over that aspect. JBL put the build in the drivers.
Whops, my bad. I meant JBL 230. Do they have deep soundstage? Does the sound originate from behind the speakers?

Kinda long story. I'm pretty satisfied with JBL 120Ti and JBL L20T, except when it goes to soundstage depth. Soundstage width is okay, but I'd really like to hear what soundstage depth is like.

Kreshna, not knowing your setup or listening space, generally speakers need to be several feet away from the front wall.
When speakers are right up against a wall or very close to other things, a lot of times the sound isn't as spacious as it could be.
If you haven't, look into ideal speaker positioning and room acoustics / sound treatment.

Well I should probably add those to my consideration as well. I guess I have always looked at these self amplified speakers with prejudice, much like Bluetooth speakers, or computer desktop speakers. So would I require something like this to make the connections? https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitor-controllers-accessories/ACTPACK_.html?dwvar_ACTPACK___color=Black
Would hate to have to buy a bunch of cables in order to connect them up, especially @ $99. With the 220's I would just use lamp cord to my existing amp.
I am now just using my cellphone's dac and accessing my music library from the NAS via wifi while down in the cave. I already have a 100wpc amp there that the cellphone plugs into one of ite inputs with RCA cable.

Ultimately it boils down to the whimsical nature of what amazon will ship to me and what they wont. Why they will ship a 40 lb sack of grain free dog food here time and agwin but not other much more expensive items is always a mystery. Thus far utilizing JBLs free shipping policy has been a bust as well. They outright refuse to ship to Alaska, free or otherwise.

I honestly don't know which of these speakers would sound better. I like the 5 inch drivers better than the 4, being a 'bigger is always better' type. Space in this room is very tight, thus the reasoning for the studio 220 over the 230. The frequency response on the 220 is listed at 60 hz to 22khz which is probably adequate for my needs in that tiny room. The LSR beats it on the LF end going down to 43hz which for a similar size box I would prefer. The studio 220 seems to have the same HF driver as the 230 but is unclear if the LSR305s use something similar.

Would be a interesting match-up!

They're WAY bigger in person than on pictures, too. I really want a pair as well, just really REALLY don't need any more speakers...
*must resist*

OK Wayner, I purchased a set of the Studio 590s because of your review of the 580s. I have not regretted that purchase for one second. Now you are giving me ideas again. The Studio 230s would work great in my office system. The Dayton 652s I am currently using aren't cutting it.

Well I should probably add those to my consideration as well. I guess I have always looked at these self amplified speakers with prejudice, much like Bluetooth speakers, or computer desktop speakers. So would I require something like this to make the connections? https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitor-controllers-accessories/ACTPACK_.html?dwvar_ACTPACK___color=Black
Would hate to have to buy a bunch of cables in order to connect them up, especially @ $99. With the 220's I would just use lamp cord to my existing amp.
You don't need the JBL controller. I sometimes run my LSR305s direct from the headphone output on my iPod Classic using a min-plug-to-RCA with 1/4 adapters. I also have a nice inexpensive set of mini into XLR for a quick self-contained iPod-driven system. I normally have them driven directly out of a pre-amp with appropriate connectors, whether they're XLR or 1/4 doesn't seem to make much difference and I have tons of RCA-to-1/4-inch phone plugs from decades of using Crown amps. It might not be the easiest to implement for some, but on a desk the runs would be so short it would be easy.

You don't need the JBL controller. I sometimes run my LSR305s direct from the headphone output on my iPod Classic using a min-plug-to-RCA with 1/4 adapters. I also have a nice inexpensive set of mini into XLR for a quick self-contained iPod-driven system. I normally have them driven directly out of a pre-amp with appropriate connectors, whether they're XLR or 1/4 doesn't seem to make much difference and I have tons of RCA-to-1/4-inch phone plugs from decades of using Crown amps. It might not be the easiest to implement for some, but on a desk the runs would be so short it would be easy.

I have been giving the LSR's another look today as for my possible uses for these speakers. The Studio 220's would be relegated to just one room more than likely because I wouldn't wish to move the amplifier and set it up in a new location, particularly on a whim, whereas the LSR's would be simple to relocate for an afternoon on the deck, in the guest room, bedroom, even taken in the camper etc. anywhere with just a 120v outlet. I like that added versatility for this type of small footprint speaker. I was thinking I am going to have to temporarily relocate my L200's when we put down our new bamboo flooring this winter and I don't see why I couldn't feed the LSR's off my Kenwood preamp, and leave the power amp switched off. Gotta have my music!!

I have heard such good things from both the LSR series and the Studio and am left wondering how they compare. The Studio 220 has the drawback of only a 4" LF driver whereas the LSR 305 has that beat with a 5", and all in a similar sized cabinet. Cannot tell what differences the HF drivers have if any. They both seem to incorporate a horn, and the literature on the Studio series talks specifically about the HF driver really designed for detail and with imaging/soundstage in mind. Am wondering if it is the same with the LSR305's.

OK Wayner, I purchased a set of the Studio 590s because of your review of the 580s. I have not regretted that purchase for one second. Now you are giving me ideas again. The Studio 230s would work great in my office system. The Dayton 652s I am currently using aren't cutting it.

Yikes! Well, at least you like them and don't hate me.......:)

My last 4 sets of speakers have been horned. The 580s, the 230s, a pair of Klipsch KG4 that I found at a local antique store ($100), and a pair of JBL S109 Aquarius IV (at least the drivers are horn loaded).

Back
Top Bottom