My KEF 105.1's

ColonelKurtz

Are my methods unsound?
Hello All,
I'm thinking about getting rid of my KEF 105.1's, due to space, and am wondering what your opinions are on a smaller pair of replacement speakers that are great for Jazz and Classical. I keep hearing about Acoustic Research's AR-3's, but am also open to modern speakers, as well... Any opinions are welcomed, thanks.

Sorry to hear this. I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of my 105.1s ... but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. :(

Probably just as heavy but a good deal smaller are the AR 93 series. I just finished a pair of 93Qs and they’re delightful on everything from jazz to rock. Probably my favorite speaker, behind the 105s. I have two sets of ARs and I don’t think you can go wrong with their stuff.

Sorry to hear this. I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of my 105.1s ... but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. :(

Probably just as heavy but a good deal smaller are the AR 93 series. I just finished a pair of 93Qs and they’re delightful on everything from jazz to rock. Probably my favorite speaker, behind the 105s. I have two sets of ARs and I don’t think you can go wrong with their stuff.

Yeah wish I could hang on to the KEFS, but they're just too big for the space. Will have a look at the 93's. I've also heard Paradigms sound great... any other suggestions from anyone is welcome

The 105.1s are going to be a tough act for a compact speaker to follow. Are you still wanting floorstanding or are you going bookshelf/standmount?

The 105.1s are going to be a tough act for a compact speaker to follow. Are you still wanting floorstanding or are you going bookshelf/standmount?

Yeah I'm going to completely let go of all expectations... lol... I've had Dynaco A25's on speaker stands, and other smaller speakers. Open to vintage and modern suggestions.

If you are a KEF fan like me, I would highly recommend the KEF Reference Model one. They were made in the mid to late 90s and were IMO the last of the classic KEF sound. It is a fairly small narrow floorstander (34” tall). It has a small footprint and will fit in any size room. Fantastic sound from a small floorstander with bass that seems to go much lower than the specs. If you can find a pair they typically go for $300 to $400 for ones in good condition.

If you are a KEF fan like me, I would highly recommend the KEF Reference Model one. They were made in the mid to late 90s and were IMO the last of the classic KEF sound. It is a fairly small narrow floorstander (34” tall). It has a small footprint and will fit in any size room. Fantastic sound from a small floorstander with bass that seems to go much lower than the specs. If you can find a pair they typically go for $300 to $400 for ones in good condition.
I would also suggest staying within the KEF Reference family. I have Reference 102's and later Ref 102/2's. While lacking the deep bass of their bigger brothers, they still have that sweet KEF mid-range and treble that makes jazz and classical music sound so darn good.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I'll have a look at each mentioned here. I didn't think about the small footprint of a tower type speaker. I was planning on going much smaller, for instance Pardigm Studio 20 v1's, or Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands (as suggested by a friend). While the KEF 105.1's I have are the best sounding speakers I've owned so far, I'm willing to go in a different direction due to space considerations.

I agree with the FEF recommendations as well. yOu have been listening to a type of sound with your KEF's currently that you need to consider if you want to match. If so stick with the smaller KEF's and or other British monitor types. If the $ isn't an issue, you might want to find one of the LS3/5A variants.

I agree with the FEF recommendations as well. yOu have been listening to a type of sound with your KEF's currently that you need to consider if you want to match. If so stick with the smaller KEF's and or other British monitor types. If the $ isn't an issue, you might want to find one of the LS3/5A variants.
If looking outside the KEF family but staying with the British sound, I would definitely consider Harbeth.

I could go in a completely different direction, as well... Its because I heard some Paradigms, and today heard some Vienna Acoustics. Tiny speakers with excellent sound. Quite different, obviously, but much better for the small studio space that the KEFS are way too big for. I will miss them, though. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone...

I got my daughter some ADS L710's for her vintage setup... pretty nice speakers... a lot of ADS are highly thought of and many models are much smaller than the 105's... even smaller, and for lower volume listening, I had some Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII's that sounded darn good for their size...

I got my daughter some ADS L710's for her vintage setup... pretty nice speakers... a lot of ADS are highly thought of and many models are much smaller than the 105's... even smaller, and for lower volume listening, I had some Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkII's that sounded darn good for their size...

Thanks, looks like they're going for around 4 bills, and getting great reviews. I have been looking at Totem Rainmakers (passing, because they color the sound), Paradigm 20 v2's, and Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands, so far. Also, KEF LS50's are getting great reviews, but maybe a bit expensive for me. Having fun looking, though!

BTW.. how much space are you saving moving from the 105 to standmounts ?

Probably 10 square feet, total, in a listening area that is basically 12'x12'. At that size, every inch counts. The 105's were in a much larger room, that I can't use for a music room, now.

Unless you are putting your small bookshelf speakers on a bookshelf or table, i would not rule out a small tower. The footprint would be very similar to a bookshelf speaker on stands but you would have lower bass extension. I mentioned the KEF Ref Model One earlier because I have them and really think they are fantastic. If you like the British sound there are a number of other small towers that you might consider including the Spendor s5, Quad 21L and Quad 22L. These all have a footprint similar to a bookshelf speaker on stands.

If you are set on a bookshelf speaker, I would highly recommend the Gallo Acoustics Classico CL 1. They are sold out new but might be available on CL or eBay. I paid $229 for a new pair with cherry veneer last year for a system for my wife. They are very efficient with superb detail and imaging and a smooth high end. They produce more bass than expected from such a small speaker. I actually preferred them over the KEF LS50 and they can be driven with moderate power, unlike the KEF LS50, which need a lot of power to open up.

Back
Top Bottom