My kitchen and computer set up, for good this time.

Justgotohm

I put together a fun little set up in my kitchen using a small Monacor integrated and Fostex Fe127’s in BR cabs. This works well in this space, the 127’s have an impressive sound playing jazz, classical, and the like at moderate background levels, it’s fun to listen too. These are definitely not rock and roll speakers the only time it’s playing the mood is chill, maybe some Nada, Petra Magoni, etc.
F82E7266-4CAA-469D-B989-5A132472EDCA.jpeg 86B4A281-4535-44F0-BB1A-5DEF9E15B1A3.jpeg
For my desktop computer I’m using some Dayton 3.5 point source drivers in .13 cabs I put together tuned to 75hz. I picked up a little Fostex SW-1 which is a 2.1 amp/sub that powers the Daytons, it’s compact and does an outstanding job with the Daytons. I added a small Fostex analog volume control, because I like to turn the volume up and down not click it with the mouse. The Dayton’s have spikes in the front to add some angle. To me in this near field situation this set up is very good, it’s like headphones you can feel, very pleasant. I’m pleased with both of these little systems.
6D87BF87-0D1F-4C4D-BDEE-E03112C6C5D5.jpeg
68CFAAB5-107F-443F-A2CF-1D487186A7CE.jpeg

Last edited:
So I have tried a few different set ups in my kitchen. I used a Voice of Music tube integrated and tuner which was fun and looked great.
2034C7D9-AD6D-4CB1-B313-19A97D923E54.jpeg
It still sounded thin with some music as you would expect from the little fostexs. I wanted a system that could play everything moderately well. I happened upon an Allied 935 6BM8 based Integrated in excellent shape.
I’ve paired that with some Martin Logan LX16’s that strangely enough came from Goodwill, maybe three light scratches on the pair. Who drops off LX16’s at Goodwill? The Allied and the ML’s sound fantastic together, I played around with spacing off the back wall to get the bass response I like. I can say I now have a tidy little set up that works out perfect in the kitchen. I can hit shuffle and it all sounds very good.
5016011D-9328-4FA3-B92D-3E6A4083D183.jpeg
I swapped out the little Dayton’s I was using at my computer with some little Tannoy’s. This was exponentially better and paired well with the Fostex amp and sub. I’m done with this as well, it sounds great and I prefer the design of the Tannoys over a standard two way, woofer/tweeter for near field.
A fellow AK’er is building me some little stands for the Tannoys to get them a little closer to head level.
067C67DC-54F0-442F-8B91-D4649CC9F475.jpeg
In theory I’ve actually reached a point where I have all the components I want across the board. I have what I want for my main rig, second system, kitchen, and computer. I’ll still swap out speakers for fun and pick up components here and there to trade, sell, etc. No more lugging amps and receivers in and out of rotation, finally!

Justgotohm.......As a devotee of Tannoys myself,its great to see them on the other side of the pond.Great systems,very cool pics.:)

Thanks, I settled on a Mac C24 pre, a Mac 2205 for a SS amp, a Dynaco ST70 for tubes, Marantz 5005 CD player, Music Hall 2.2, with a Panamax 5500 power supply.
Number two system is a Emotiva PT-100 pre, Acurus A80 SS amp, Rotel CD player, Technics SL-Q TT. I have a pristine Mac 4100 that has been sorted out, a few custom touches, and in excellent operational condition that could be used in place of the amp and pre in my number two set up. To be honest I like the pre for the DAC, remote, and Bluetooth capability and while it’s all pretty much mid fi gear it’s good enough.
Aside from the little kitchen system and computer I left out speakers, I have a bunch of options there and will still rotate in and out given whatever mood I’m in at the time. I’m genuinely happy with these components, there is way better out there and way worse. If I can’t get into the music with what I currently have then I need something else to do to relax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom