My Klipsch Belle inspired "clone" build w/pictures. In the house!

Thank you guys...I appreciate it. I'm not sure they look "better than original Belles", but, I'm really happy with them. It was quite exciting seeing that first one almost together yesterday. If time allows tonight somewhere after homework and dinner, I might try to get the woofers mounted in the cabinets and the "dog house" door mounted. Maybe even start on the other top section since I got the system down now. ha. There's some black touch up painting I need to do in some spots as well and then maybe this weekend they can come in the house. I may not be able to hear them yet as the Christmas tree is on the left side of the living room where one will be. The CF-3 fits fine but it's only 17" wide; the Belle's are 30". My wife said last night, "we'll make them fit....you've worked hard on them and I know you're ready to hear them". She's a good one. :)

Beautiful work! I absolutely love to see these build threads and all the awesome work our members do. Thank you for sharing! I also love your wife's reaction btw, sounds like you have a good one there!

Since I live in the adjacent state, when would be a convenient time for me to stop by and pick those up? Congrats on a terrific project!

Simply Outstanding project, and thanks you for sharing your journey with us. It looks like you will have them completed for the Holiday and you are very lucky to have an understanding wife that is willing to fit them in so you can enjoy them. Very well done!

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I'm not so sure they'll fit in where they're supposed to go till after Christmas since the tree is where one needs to partially go. My first listen may be in the garage with Deezer playing from my S7 to a little Stromberg Carlson ASR-120 tube amp. Not optimal, but something.

After having done these and seeing what's involved in the bass bins, I could definitely knock a pair of the bass bins out pretty quick now. Especially unfinished baltic birch (preferably), plywood, or MDF (ugh). I built a jig to make the odd angles on the diverter ramps which was really the hardest part besides coming up with the time to actually built them.

WOW !!! JUST WOW !!! I can build large box type enclosures, but those are incredible and out of my league !!!!!!!!

Thank you guys. Man, the weather took a turn for the colder here in the south this week. Looks like the high for Saturday is around 50 so good thing all my veneer work is done. The plan is to get the second top section assembled, mount the CT120 tweeters and A-55 mids/K500 horns, install the new K-33-E woofers, and close up the dog house. Then, I can start on the Type AA crossovers and hopefully get to hear something soon even if it is in the garage. I'd like to get them in the house and let them settle for a few days with the inside temp and humidity and then get a finish on them; which I'm still deliberating on.

I'd like to get them in the house and let them settle for a few days with the inside temp and humidity and then get a finish on them; which I'm still deliberating on.

You'll be glad you did that! I tried it once in my under-heated shop several winters ago and the results were . . . uh . . . not good.

GeeDeeEmm

Yeah, trying to finish out wood with stain, clear, etc., at under 65 to 70 degree temps just does not work at all. My uncle taught me that 35 years ago in his woodworking/cabinet shop.

Well it was cold as crap in the garage this morning but a tad warmer later...50 I think. I was able to get the second top section done and the woofers mounted in both and doghouse covers bolted on. Mids and tweeters are also in and mounted. I've gotten started on the crossovers and might get those done tomorrow.

I'm going to keep them inside so they can get up to temp and humidity so hopefully they can have a finish put on them next weekend.

20171209_151248-1024x576.jpg

20171209_154131-768x1365.jpg

20171209_154348-1024x576.jpg

20171209_194532-1024x576.jpg

20171209_200325-768x914.jpg
20171209_200400-768x985.jpg

And apparently they have a guardian, too.

Well, my wife "made me" hook the crossovers up so I could listen to them so, guess what.....they work!!! Please excuse the mess and the temporary towels on them as they don't have a finish on them yet...and it's the Holidays and you know how stuff gets rearranged. But they work!! Very happy with the way they sound, too. They don't have the bass the CF-3's do but that was to be expected. The impact and dynamics with the all new drivers is exceptional. I'll build some sort of small horn loaded sub to get me by until we move into a new house next year that will have a dedicated audio room for me. :)

I'll be building a new audio rack before long as I don't want to keep so much stuff out and we don't watch DVD's anymore. So...

20171210_201438-1280x766.thumb.jpg.6934df80ca46ed9f59c168ecec6fc44d.jpg

They don't have the bass the CF-3's do but that was to be expected.
20171210_201438-1280x766.thumb.jpg.6934df80ca46ed9f59c168ecec6fc44d.jpg

Those are so nice. Just awesome.

I'm curious - do you have any way to adjust the volume of the horns? If they are too loud in the mix they will cause the bass response to seemingly lessen. The horns are so efficient that by the time you turn up the volume to a pleasing level, the horns reach that level first with the woofers still waiting for more power to reach the same level.

I found that to be the case with my Altecs. I have the horns attenuated half way on the Lpads, and the bass really moved forward in the mix.

These have never been known as bass monsters, I know, but I'm just curious what some horn attenuation would do. :idea:

GeeDeeEmm

I can change the output settings on the autoformers for the mids if need be but I'll tell ya, for what I've listened to in a short time, they don't need it. If Allison Krauss doesn't part your hair from 11 feet with horns, nothing will. lol Those new John Allen designed A-55-G mid drivers that Bob Crites is selling are the bomb and I'm using the CT120 for the tweeter which is a B&C tweeter. My wife even commented on how good they sounded. I might build a horn loaded sub someday in the future to try out but that won't work in my living room right now.

I may build a second Type AA passive crossover network with all new components (autoformers, inductors, caps, etc) and make them where I can bi-amp them and use two separate tube amps on them. The VTA ST-70 sounds phenomenal ran either pentode or triode mode, too.

My wife even commented on how good they sounded.

Whoa! Now THAT is a feat, I must say. ;)

I audition my Altecs to guys and they are all stunned. When my wife and the other girls in the family listen to them, they just shrug their shoulders. Their observations: "Well, they're pretty, but just too big." :dunno:

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom