My KSW12 Subwoofer blew a voice coil.

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by Brian Tambe, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Brian Tambe

Brian Tambe Active Member

D150800B-2496-47F7-A875-6A93DF9095D5.jpeg

I ordered a Reference Series Subwoofer to replace my Synergy Series that blew a voice coil. I’m really surprised that a Sub not quite 3 years old did this. I did have it at a high volume, my Klipsch KG4’S handled the power effortlessly, however , the KSW 12 didn’t survive. I replaced my original KSW12 ( purchased in April 2000 ) in March of 2016 with another KSW12 from Amazon!! I noticed the back was set up differently with a different LFE input and the entire rear panel was different than my original one. The amp went out in my original KSW12 and now a voice coil in the next one that isn’t quite 3 years old. I got a really good price on the Reference Series Klipsch R120SW ( Brand New ) I’m hoping this one will hold up better at high volumes and give an overall better listening experience!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TPettenati

TPettenati AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have one of the original ksw-12s and it's still working. But it doesn't get much usage. I always felt it was good for LFE home theater usage but was not very musical.

I didn't know there was a second generation ksw-12. I wonder if they went class D for the amp.

Let us know how the reference series works out. I think you'll like it better for music, because it's front firing woofer instead of a down-firing

Harvestor likes this.
  3. Brian Tambe

I will , for sure , give my review of this new subwoofer. The fact that its front firing has me excited because every review says the sound is improved with the front fire design.

4. Brian Tambe

Hello TPettenati , I’m getting back to you as promised to give my review of the Klipsch Reference Series R-120SW. Simply put , WOW!! What a difference from the KSW12. The front firing design and digital amplifier gives this sub phenomenal , clean , deep bass for music and movies. I’ve had to play with the the “ Gain “ setting because I set the R120SW to the exact settings as the KSW12 and the R120SW was WAY TO LOUD AND INTENSE!! As I said , Big difference between the 2 subs. I have the gain set at half ( dead center on the dial ) instead of 8 and the frequency at 70hz instead of 75hz. Like I said , been playing around and have it finally set just right, I put it in the same location , corner on the same wall as my Klipsch mains. Best purchase that I’ve made in 19 years and couldn’t be happier!! Next is the center speaker. Synergy SC-1 vs Reference R52C!! I highly recommend getting this sub , especially, while it’s on sale. At $224 plus free shipping. It’s the biggest no brainer!!

TPettenati and Harvestor like this.
  5. Hobie1dog

Hobie1dog Super Member

My Klipsch sub was the boomiest sub I've ever heard. I pulled the driver out and it was the epitome of cheap construction and poor design, but you can't expect much out of a cheap sub.

6. Brian Tambe

Which Klipsch sub did you have?

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Brian Tambe

The R-120SW will go to a regular price of $449 very soon. It’s currently being offered at an introductory price @ 50% Off Sale , introducing the new model. I think $449 is a very good price for a good sub , however , $224? I should’ve purchased 2 , however , my house would vibrate off it’s foundation , Lol !!