My latest addiction, tweaking Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs

@BadassBob...that was very enjoyable, did you notice that he had the reel turned 90 degrees to the water while casting?

I was told to do this many years ago to maximize the casting distance. It works!

@BadassBob...that was very enjoyable, did you notice that he had the reel turned 90 degrees to the water while casting?

I was told to do this many years ago to maximize the casting distance. It works!

Yep I noticed. I was told to do the same when I first started using baitcasters, but not to maximize distance. Something about casting with the reel handle up is said to minimize chances of a backlash from what I was taught.

I thought that's what your thumb is for...:)

Still gotta thumb it either way lol. I've taught a few friends how to cast a baitcaster, first thing they do is snap it forward like you would with a spinning reel. Once they can overcome that, they get the hang of it quick lol.

New arrival today. Christmas present from my wife came late, lost in USPS package hell for a few weeks. This one is a 6500CS Rocket.

NLmOBA0.jpg

Parts finally came in Monday and I got a chance to work this guy over during the week. I upped the bearing count considerably, added two to the level wind, a double bearing cog wheel, added a quad ball bearing Ambassadeur Classic Inshore power handle, 2-pin brake plate with fiber brakes, and an aluminum thumb rest. This baby is smoooooth. It's a shame because ice is finally forming on the lakes and now I can't fish it. It's going to be a tough two months :(

TUQVRij.jpg

@BadassBob

where do you get the parts?
My 1500 needed to have its aluminum gearing replaced a bunch of years ago. I replaced with bronze gears, and did the bearing as well.

@BadassBob

where do you get the parts?
My 1500 needed to have its aluminum gearing replaced a bunch of years ago. I replaced with bronze gears, and did the bearing as well.

There's a few places I buy from. Boca Bearings down in FL sells very high quality stainless and ceramic hybrid bearings, that's who most of the reel tuners go through. For things like gears and level winds, there's Jerry Foran who owns hookless.com and he even sells custom built Abu reels. For higher end parts, such as lightweight spools, lightweight line guides, and aftermarket braking systems, there's Japan Tackle and Hedgehog Studios both in Japan. For general replacement parts, I shop Dad's Ole Tackle. They have a regular website plus they sell through eBay. Jerry Foran is pretty much a one stop shop for tuning parts unless you're looking to build an ultralight capable baitcast setup, in that case go with the Japanese shops. I know the Japanese shops sell a wide variety of parts for your 1500. Have a look https://japantackle.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=abut+1500c

I have another reel on the way that should be here tomorrow, an Abu 4500CS Rocket. Not many 4500 sized reels were made in the Rocket configuration. I was waiting for a deal to come up as most retailers charge ~$200 if they can even get them. I got this one for a song, so stay tuned for pics. The Rocket reels have dual spool tension knobs like my 6500CS Rocket posted above. Behind the left side tension cap, there's a brass speed bushing that the spool shaft rides on. The Rockets are some of the best casting round baitcasters made. It'll be a painful two or three months waiting for the ice to clear off the water.

It's just like this one

Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-4500CS-Sunset-Orange-Rocket-MODEL.jpg

Here it is, my new 4500CS Rocket. Abu doesn't make these too often so I jumped at the chance to get one. It's a hefty 12.4oz, the frame is chromed brass and the side plates are anodized brass. For comparison purposes, a new production 4600 C3 weighs in at 9.2oz with it's aluminum frame and side plates.

P50sT67.jpg

I liked the 4600C4, I think that's the one - it had the line release as a thumb bar instead of the button on the side cover. The problem I had was the line leveler mechanism would get a tiny bit of wear in the screw thing in the housing and the leveler would hang at one side or the other.

All of these were caught on one of those, haven't fished in years.

index.php

index.php

index.php

IMG_2988.JPG

I picked 2 new Abu's. The red one with leather case is from 1970. The blue is a new 6600C4 and the goldish one is a 6500C3 Catfish Special. When the weather gets right I will be ready.

I picked 2 new Abu's. The red one with leather case is from 1970. The blue is a new 6600C4 and the goldish one is a 6500C3 Catfish Special. When the weather gets right I will be ready.
I love the color on that Catfish Special, I think it's Sunset Orange IIRC. Like you, I have the itch to fish beyond belief lol.

Finally, the parts have arrived to make my 4500CS Rocket into it's namesake. Aluminum thumb rest, speed bearing, double bearing level wind, double bearing idler gear, and some light weight fiber brake blocks. It free spools like crazy, should be great for throwing lighter baits. I took the bearing count from 2 to 7. C'mon spring!

3U50bp7.jpg

Finally, the parts have arrived to make my 4500CS Rocket into it's namesake. Aluminum thumb rest, speed bearing, double bearing level wind, double bearing idler gear, and some light weight fiber brake blocks. It free spools like crazy, should be great for throwing lighter baits. I took the bearing count from 2 to 7. C'mon spring!

3U50bp7.jpg

That's a beauty Bob! Very nice!

Hi @BadassBob I have a synchro 6500c, I would also like to mod it to the best of its potential, would you be kind enough to share parts I should purchase and from which website/store? PM me if you like. Thanks in advance.
DSCF3574 (2).JPG

Sharing a picture of this one, I have no intention of using this; I purchased it because it was plain pretty.
DSCF3579 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom