My latest project: AR XA

Dirtweed

Hey Guys

Make that TA after seeing the bottom picture on screen. I was tired when I opened it up. Well I received a supposedly unused table that has been sitting in a garage in the deep south enjoying all the heat and humidity in the original box which is no more as I chucked it from the horrible moldy smell to it. The motor still works, but when I tear it all down I'll lube it up and see how it fares. However I might just see about a replacement. I have already been in touch with Marc about rebuilding the arm...his comment was "YUCK". So I know where this sits in his experience of rebuilding arms for the AR. :)

As you can see I have some work to do. Might just rewire the whole table. Never been much with the solder gun, but it was cheap enough I'll give it a go.

DSC_1118.JPG DSC_1119.JPG DSC_1120.JPG DSC_1121.JPG DSC_1122.JPG DSC_1123.JPG DSC_1124.JPG DSC_1125.JPG DSC_1126.JPG DSC_1127.JPG

Last edited:
Mine didn’t look much better when I got it. Looks better now.

Looks pretty good from this distance. Did you polish the platter? I have a guy that polishes my ATC parts was thinking that might be a good thing to do to this one as well.
Should probably get the TD125 platter polished as well.

You guys will enjoy restoring those beauties I know I did when working on mine.

The guy that will be your best friend and help you through your restorations is marcmorin. He knows his stuff!

Good luck and enjoy. Simplicity at it best with these turntables.
John

Last edited:
Looks pretty good from this distance. Did you polish the platter? I have a guy that polishes my ATC parts was thinking that might be a good thing to do to this one as well.
Should probably get the TD125 platter polished as well.
Actually had AK member AVfan make me a new plinth. Came out amazing. Finish is like glass.

XA's are fun projects. I found one at a Salvation Army pretty recently in similar condition. Make sure you pick up some lintless swabs for cleaning out the gunk from the platter and tonearm wells. The only part that I wouldn't say is enjoyable is rewiring the tonearm. That plastic piece that the headshell locks into is the worst.

Didn't look so bad inside. A little sewing machine oil to the motor and it quieted right down.

Now for a new plinth....the wood on this one is not in good shape, but surprisingly the inside was still not bad.

DSC_1170.JPG DSC_1182.JPG DSC_1183.JPG DSC_1186.JPG

BF06B7F1-6F69-4ECF-BD90-11D02FB1D41B.jpeg Once you have Marc work his magic and if you get AvFan to work his with his beautiful plinths you’ll be in heaven. Here’s mine.

Back
Top Bottom