My listening space w/o the Apogees (for now)

brminpin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So, I took a 14 hours round trip drive to deliver my Apogees for a complete refurbish at Music Technology in Virginia. I'm really looking forward to them coming back, although I dread the drive and back to come. Anyways, I thought I'd post a picture of what the room looks like without the Duetta Signatures.

The first is a picture of the substitute speakers (main listening rig). A pair of Platinum Audio Solo's being driven by the Classe CA400 amp. Every time I turn the volume up, I am just amazed by these little speakers! It doesn't hurt that the CA400 is more than capable of manhandling them at any volume level.

On the rack side, I've shifted some things around for the little brother of the RT-909. I've read somewhere on AK that a RT-707 is the perfect companion to the 909. I don't know if it's true or not but it sure does look sweet. :yes: So in a way, I've got a nice little Pioneer stack with the RT-909, RT-707, and PL-L1000A on one rack.

On the opposite side of the room from the main speakers and amp (Classe and Platinum Audio right now), resides the B system. It comprises of a Kenwood KA7002 integrated amp, in amp only mode bypassing the preamp section, hooked up the the Audio Physic Tempo 3i speakers. It's being fed by the main system via the second preamp output. It's a long run for a single ended cable but luckily, the line doesn't pick up any interference (thank you Blue Jean Cable). The TV isn't hooked up to the audio system. It's only there for the kids to play Wii and watch videos when I'm doing some work in the basement. The Kenwood is a surprisingly good amp. Who would have thought that a 40+ y/o amp could sound so good?

front_zpse67c1d41.jpg

rack_zps54df9876.jpg

Pioneer2_zpseb5fea53.jpg

AP_zps3735faec.jpg

Components:
Power: Classe CA-400, Kenwood KA-7002
Preamp: Aloia 11.01
Digital: Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, Musical Fidelity V-Link 192, Meta Research Laser 1 CD transport, Asus netbook running Foobar 2000
Vinyl: Pioneer PL-L1000A, Well Tempered Amadeus, Hypno Toad CA-640 phono amp
Tape: Pioneer RT-707, Pioneer RT-909
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo 3i, Platinum Audio Solo

Nice setups! I definitely dig the Platinum speaker rig.

I never heard that model of Audio Physic but I was a fan of their Virgo in the late 90s and early 2000s.

What model of Apogees do you have? I had a pair of their Centaur Majors for several years and loved them. I know a lot of folks rip on the Centaur range but for the room we had, they were the right decision, I think. We tried the stages for a while but... they just didn't feel quite right and being our only system, I feel they lacked a bit of impact the Majors gave.

Nice setups! I definitely dig the Platinum speaker rig.

I never heard that model of Audio Physic but I was a fan of their Virgo in the late 90s and early 2000s.

What model of Apogees do you have? I had a pair of their Centaur Majors for several years and loved them. I know a lot of folks rip on the Centaur range but for the room we had, they were the right decision, I think. We tried the stages for a while but... they just didn't feel quite right and being our only system, I feel they lacked a bit of impact the Majors gave.

I've got a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures. They were, for the most part, amazing speakers but to my wife's chagrin, I decided to refurb them instead of selling them. So, they are away for a full ribbon replacement and a fresh coat of paint. They should sound better than new since the new replacement ribbons are so much better than the original ribbons that Apogee made. It'll be fun to have them back all freshened up. I'll post pics when they come back.

Excellent... Though I've never heard the Duetta Sigs, they seem like about the ideal balance of size vs full Apogee experience. I've heard the Divas set up properly three times and was obviously highly impressed, esp two of those times but I doubt I'll have the space to commit to them any time soon.

Anyway, hope yours come back even better.

Nice to see a Well Tempered in one of your system pictures! And to know that someone elses uses one. Although mine is ur-alt by comparison -- it's the original square motor plinth, upgraded to newer platter and carbon fiber tonearm. I'm running a DV Te Kaitora Rua in it and it is fabulous. I think Firebaugh is one of the great thinkers of audio and isn't mentioned often enough.

Barncats, I can't agree with you more. Firebaugh's "out of the box" ideas have created some great turntables.

I've got a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures. They were, for the most part, amazing speakers but to my wife's chagrin, I decided to refurb them instead of selling them. So, they are away for a full ribbon replacement and a fresh coat of paint. They should sound better than new since the new replacement ribbons are so much better than the original ribbons that Apogee made. It'll be fun to have them back all freshened up. I'll post pics when they come back.
Resurrecting this thread looking for feedback on Music Technologies work. How did the work they did on your Apogee Duetta Signatures turn out?

Back
Top Bottom