My little setup is done for a while

Couldn't tell you on the imaging to be honest as I cannot get a chair in the ideal position as we have a fireplace on the opposite side.

So this is essentially a basic audio setup for playing tunes in the house. Probably a bit overkill for that use but it still sounds amazing (we had the whole family in there over Xmas playing 80's hits).

One day I'll get a proper listening space, then hopefully I can really enjoy my records and get the setup properly dialled in.

Very nice setup! How is the heat transfer so far?

As in does the amp and phono amp get hot?

I've checked it a few times and I reckon the amp gets no more hot than it did when I had it all on the floor with the preamp on top of the amp.

The preamp has plenty of cooling on it and both shelves have holes at the back for cables but also allows a bit of ventilation.

when you say you get clipping from the amp, at what sort of volume? I have ls50s and someone local is selling the same amp.

when you say you get clipping from the amp, at what sort of volume? I have ls50s and someone local is selling the same amp.

Loud! And I'm probably not getting all the decibels as I have 2 huge armchairs in the way too.

At those sorts of volumes I have my whole house filled with music.

The 7100 is very adept at running the LS50's in my opinion, although I do have my eye out for an 8100 as I think that would be a better match as the LS50's are not the most efficient speakers going, however I'm not disappointed with the combo and I almost never have the 7100 beyond half way on the volume dial.

The thing that's a risk with the setup is how well rounded the sound is at all levels which makes you want to keep turning it up ;)

That custom cabinet is absolutely beautiful. The harmonious look of the components and the perfect symmetry of the setting creates a very soothing and welcoming environment.

View attachment 840219 View attachment 840220
The last piece of my audio setup came in yesterday; my stand. It was from a chap in Minto (Sydney) who was selling bedside tables. I gave him custom dimensions and he stained to match our decor; walnut.

It's made in Tasmanian Oak and it looks great (I think). It almost has a timber box look that I see on amps sometimes.

The only challenge is squeezing all the cables in behind the amp which I haven't quite got figured out, I probably should have made it a bit deeper but it will have to do.

Listening to some tracks now and it finishes off the look of the room beautifully I think.

Pioneer PL-518X TT (custom veneer)
Little Bear T10 Phono Preamp (custom)
Kenwood KA-7100 Amp
KEF LS50 Speakers
Wharfedale Powercube SPC10 Sub

Just need to update my cables to something a little more pleasing to the eye :)
Love the

Love the simplicity of your set up.

Well done for the space allocated. Just make sure the speakers don't become cup holders.

Well done for the space allocated. Just make sure the speakers don't become cup holders.

Over my dead body! Luckily they are far enough back to not be accessible and the coffee table covers that.

We did have a party the other day for Xmas with a load and of kids running around and when I was clearing up I noticed one of the speakers had shifted and was almost about to fall off the stand. Very lucky near miss and I have no doubts the weight of the stands is what saved it.

That's a creative way to fit the speakers into the room, I like it. How's the imaging?

asilker: I spent some time yesterday listening to the imaging with some vinyl. It's not the ideal position to listen but I sat on the floor and thought I would report back.

Played vinyl as that's the best sound I can get out of the system. Whilst the sound is great, there isn't a huge amount of spaciousness in the playback. I suspect because I have the speakers quite close together, the armchairs in front or a combination of lots of things.

This layout is always going to be a compromise as it's aesthetics first, sound second and immersive reproduction last. The first and second are exceptional... the last falls short by some margin but I'm not sure what I should be hearing anyway.

Might pull the speakers out one day and put them in a spot where I can really enjoy them and see exactly what they have to offer. For now I'll just turn it up and dance around the front room with my 2 girls (2 & 4 years old).

asilker: I spent some time yesterday listening to the imaging with some vinyl. It's not the ideal position to listen but I sat on the floor and thought I would report back.

Played vinyl as that's the best sound I can get out of the system. Whilst the sound is great, there isn't a huge amount of spaciousness in the playback. I suspect because I have the speakers quite close together, the armchairs in front or a combination of lots of things.

This layout is always going to be a compromise as it's aesthetics first, sound second and immersive reproduction last. The first and second are exceptional... the last falls short by some margin but I'm not sure what I should be hearing anyway.

Might pull the speakers out one day and put them in a spot where I can really enjoy them and see exactly what they have to offer. For now I'll just turn it up and dance around the front room with my 2 girls (2 & 4 years old).
Love the application there. Kudos to you for caring more about spending quality dad time than optimizing the room just for you.

Next time you get some time alone you might want to try pulling them out. The LS50's reputation is largely due to their ability to create an immersive experience. They lack bass, but that's because the trade-off is more balanced toward immersion :)

In any case it looks great. According to your listed priorities I'd say you're doing great

Love the application there. Kudos to you for caring more about spending quality dad time than optimizing the room just for you.

Next time you get some time alone you might want to try pulling them out. The LS50's reputation is largely due to their ability to create an immersive experience. They lack bass, but that's because the trade-off is more balanced toward immersion :)

In any case it looks great. According to your listed priorities I'd say you're doing great

If lacking bass I think I see some open space back there for a nice little subwoofer!

No issues with bass as I am running a sub already. Could do with another one though to minimise the flat spots in certain areas of the room.

So living with the setup for a little while and I'm very happy. The only thing I'm going to change is how I route the power cables and manage the sonos, plus the external power supply chassis for the preamp.

Currently the power board is behind the preamp and there isn't quite enough space (the preamp sticks out a bit as it hits the power board). I've been looking for a slimline 4 way powerboard option but not pulling anything up. So instead I'm going to mount the various parts to the back of the stand instead.

This will clean up the inside, meaning I can push the preamp back to its proper position, plus it will also get the sonos box and preamp transformer chassis off the floor too.

I'll choose a position on the back that you cannot see any of the parts from the room.

Back
Top Bottom