My local 'urban' station...

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Listening to it right now. Just rolling through the dial while testing out a new shiny piece of gear. Content ain't my thing but the dynamics are hooking me. Broadcasting without perceptible compression and the bass hits are monster. Am I a complete nerd for being into this? This is what FM should be like.

That’s what this hobby is about. You enjoy the music you already love and better gear, or better sources, shows you something you can appreciate in music you wouldn’t have otherwise wanted to listen to.

I think I’ve been in this hobby eight years and it’s really just expanded my horizons musically.

Thing is I associate this kind of stuff with smiley face EQ curves but I've got my tone controls locked out and it's really making my speakers dance in a good way. It sounds way better than the stations that play the kind of stuff I usually listen to. Spotify is better that radio in that case...

I stumbled across an "urban contemporary" station too. The programming varies a lot hour to hour. From contemporary rhythm and soul/torch singing to older hip hop and rap to alternative Hispanic. Some serious musicality there.

Interesting... you may have your tone controls locked out but do they ? The smiley face may be on the other end. One of my favorite stations runs a contour for some content and it sounds great. Not flat, true, audiophile but great. So what ? I listen to the music, that's what matters. They play some great jazz.
Not dumping on your "find' but I spent lots of years in broadcast FM and never ran across a station that didn't shape the output in some way. Compression was to save RF power and enable greater distance / increase coverage. With so many stations having repeaters, no need to anymore. Roll the top off, boost the bottom a bit and sound good. It's the classical format stations that go gently. On shared format stations, the contours are programmed to change on a timer system (convenience) and sometimes you hear it happen. The last one I worked at had seven programmable EQ's and auto switching by time.
No, I'm not dissing FM. It's still my favorite medium. I just understand it.

Back
Top Bottom