1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

My Love For the Mac 4100

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by SiliconTi, Nov 4, 2018.

1. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have to say, the Mac 4100 is such great receiver - and I have owned dozens of receivers..

My biggest like? All those I/Os. Here is the list:

Phono 1
    Phone 2
    FM
    AM
    Aux 1
    Aux 2
    Tape 1 I/O
    Tape 2 I/O (Rear jacks)
    Tape 2 I/O (Front Jacks)
    Headphone 1
    Headphone 2
    Speakers Set 1
    Speaker Set 2
    Speaker Set 3

The manual says nothing about running set 1,2,3 in any order - the 100W/75W power amp can drive a 2 Ohm load, so it does not matter how many you run.

Add on to that a Mono button, FM Muting, 5 band EQ, adjustable Loudness and full featured AM/FM Tuner. Plus, LED power meters.

OK, the vinyl casework is weak, but I have a custom mahogany case on mine and it looks great. And, some do not like the "non-McIntosh" look, but it is OK and usable.

I have two of these, and I really can not see ever "upgrading" them.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    chef free and Mike Gibson like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. CohibaJoe

CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

There is a following for the 4100...I had sent 1 out to Terry for a complete Recap and Audio upgrade. After 6 months I sold it. I have since sold 98% of my SS.
    Have the Luxman L-100U, Marantz 7T/Lux M117 and PrimaLuna and this I can Live with.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  3. eedork

eedork AK Subscriber Subscriber

They are sweet receivers for sure. I had one and sold it - I wish I had kept it!

-Matt

4. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

I like the sound of my C24/MC2105 combo a little more, but when I had a 4100 it was a great performer. And you're right about the ability to drive loads. I drove a stack set of AR 3a's and AR 3's and the 4100 never got warm. Sounded amazing. And FM reception was terrific. If I was ever going to trade in my separates and go to a receiver the 4100 would be my first choice.

62caddy likes this.
  5. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Mc hit it out of the park with the MAC4100.

6. EyeGee

EyeGee Big Ears Subscriber

It's a great receiver and I kind of regret trading mine in for a 4300V, but I really wanted the remote. One of the downgrades is that the 4300V has a mono button, but that just affects the FM reception while I believe the 4100's mono button turns all sources into mono. 4300V also lacks a front 1/4" plug input and has a mere 1 (one) headphone jack.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. chef free

chef free AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used to run stacked (4 ohm) Infinity Qb AND a 4 ohm Velodyne sub with the MAC 4100, it barely got warm...

62caddy likes this.
  8. longgone

longgone AK Subscriber Subscriber

let the good times roll...
    DSCN2489.JPG

9. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Correct, and very handy for old mono recordings and testing speaker polarity.