My Mini Line Array is complete

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by nick parkin, Sep 15, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. nick parkin

nick parkin AK Subscriber Subscriber

Greetings!

Ive finished my mini Coral Holes Basket Line Array.
    I used a 2 X 2 foot Foamular insulation board and used a Dremel to cut all the holes for the speakers. The Array was mounted 2" off the center line, and I glued a wing on the back to hold it up. I wired two pair in series, then wired those two units in Parallel so I could get an 8 ohm load. I used two machine screws for each speaker and tightened a nut on the back to secure it. Here are some photos
    IMG_9725.JPG IMG_9726.JPG IMG_9728.JPG IMG_9730.JPG IMG_9732.JPG

Some thoughts on the sound quality

Initially they were great, but the imaging was not as good as using one pair of these, and there seems to be a little mids missing. The vocals on a lot of Led Zeppelin does not come through as much as it should.

I decided to re-wire the speakers. Initially I had the top two, and the bottom two wired in series, and then I wired those two "units" in parallel, but after the re-wire I wired the first and third speaker in series, and the second and fourth speaker in series, and then wired those in parallel. This did improve the imaging but it still seems slightly off. The clarity is stunning and the bass is incredibly detailed but the imaging is just lacking slightly. When I set up just one pair the imaging was incredible.
    Im not sure if this imaging issue is the room. I draped some towels over the back to help suppress the back wave, and I put thick blankets on the walls next to the speakers, as well as a blanket on the back wall and this helped a little, however the imaging is still is not as good as using just one pair.
    Any thoughts on improving the imaging? Everything else is spectacular.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 10:28 AM

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not seeing the photos.

3. nick parkin

I just uploaded them

4. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Why are your keyboard's E keys brown?

5. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Well how's the sound? Is it the stuff your wet dreams were made of?

6. nick parkin

Im working on corresponding each note with its place on the Treble Clef. So instead if reading sheet music and seeing an "F" note, and then asking myself, "where is the "F" on the keyboard?", I will essentially bypass reading the treble clef as notes, and instead associate each location of each note with the physical location on the keyboard for better efficiency. I will know the notes of course, but it makes it more efficient to read sheet music.

Its just some dark yellow/orange tape that I put on every E key to "highlight" it.

DaveVoorhis likes this.

7. nick parkin

I updated my first post and included a description off the sound

8. pskaudio

pskaudio No user serviceable parts inside me... Subscriber

They might be too low. I rase them by one milk crate height to start. Congratulations, you've just built the least expensive DIY speakers ever!

9. nick parkin

I actually put them on some large storage bins and it did improve the sound. They still sound slightly off. I also did the battery test, and hooked up a little AAA battery and all the cones moved in the same direction on all the speakers, so I know they are all in phase.

10. nick parkin

not so fast!
    I paid on average $65 shipped for each pair of speakers. the actual foam board and screws was only $30 lol which is pretty cheap compared to other cabinets ive made.

11. nick parkin

do you guys think the back wing is too long? would shortening it maybe help the sound???

12. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Your speakers have been used different amounts, almost certainly come from different manufacturing batches, and have been subject to differing environmental conditions. Whilst grossly in phase, they may behave just different enough from each other to reduce imaging, particularly as the sense of imaging is fundamentally dependent on hearing minuscule phase differences.

pskaudio likes this.
  13. pskaudio

pskaudio No user serviceable parts inside me... Subscriber

My mistake. Based on your thread prior to building, I assumed you had these lying around.

14. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looks pretty cool. I like the color. :thumbsup:

15. nick parkin

true. The bottom two are a little stiff and have a dark surround and look a little worse than the top two, which are in great condition

16. nick parkin

my friend suggested that the problem is Lobing and that I may need some DSP. Ill have to research this.

17. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Well crap. Now that I have seen this thread, I'm certain to waste money doing it as well.

:rolleyes::biggrin:

Lavane likes this.
  18. Gazdatronik

Gazdatronik Super Member

Any line array will have comb filtering problems, usually solved by backing yourself away from them until the effect is minimized.

They work great in sound reinforcement because of this, with good vertical coverage, as those venues tend to be much larger than the rooms in a house.

The poster who suggested that all four speakers may not have equal use on them is also in the right ballpark. As speakers age, they can drift off specification by as much as 40 percent.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  19. Lavane

Lavane AK Subscriber Subscriber

You said the bottom two were darker and stiffer. Are they together on one side? If so, put one on each side. And if you have one stiffer driver per channel, try putting them at the top? I know they are line array, but have you thought about a hinge between the drivers and the wider side of the baffle? Some full range open baffles can benefit from being able to adjust a side wing.

20. nick parkin

they are not. Each pair that I bought is split to each side so the "quality" of each speaker is divided between the two. I.e. each side has one stiff one.

Lavane likes this.