My moment of digital-to-analog conversion. Remember yours?

I don't really have a D/A conversion story. I grew up listening to my Dad's Garrard and I bought my first CDP around 1992. I've always listened to both and have always felt as if both formats are flawed and the mastering is more important than the medium. I do however have a D/D story. I listened to CD for 20+ years before actually hearing a difference between their players. I had been told that CD was perfect sound and so I believed it just didn't matter which player was used. Of course this was mostly in the days of the 1 bit dac 5 disc changers which I still loathe. At some point in the early 2000s I bought a Toshiba DVD player and holy cow was there is a difference in playback. Sometime after that I became obsessed with DACs and have been ever since. I truly believe there is room for both digital and analog so I gave up trying to compare them.

. . . I do however have a D/D story. . .
My digital to digital story isn't quite like blownsi's, but I am still enamoured of listening to mp3 files on a compact disc. At times I have had long daily commutes to work and back, or have made road trips involving 10 hours plus on the road, and having old-time radio shows, lectures, sermons, etc., on that compressed format for easy playback/minimal disc-changing in the car is one of the greatest things I know of about digital playback.

Last edited:
I listened to CD for 20+ years before actually hearing a difference between their players. I had been told that CD was perfect sound and so I believed it just didn't matter which player was used. Of course this was mostly in the days of the 1 bit dac 5 disc changers which I still loathe. At some point in the early 2000s I bought a Toshiba DVD player and holy cow was there is a difference in playback. Sometime after that I became obsessed with DACs and have been ever since. I truly believe there is room for both digital and analog so I gave up trying to compare them.

CD was perfect sound forever :thumbsdown: ... the mantra of my first audio Guru (self proclaimed) Chuck :beatnik: ... the only remarkable thing about Chuck was how "off the mark" & wrong he was about everything. Good grief ... the years I wasted believing this guy. :(

Quotes from Chuck :blah:
... "Records are the new 8 Track ... they'll be tossed on the ash heap of history"
... "All CD players are the same ... it's just a matter of what features you want".
... "CD's are the same as a master tape ... there's no getting better beyond this"
... "Analog can't hold a candle to Digital as far as sound quality ... it's obvious when you hear your first CD"

Last edited:
Vinyl is just flawed period. If analog is that important then there are other technologies. If you're not "bothered" by digital then there's no reason to "convert" back to analog. People claim to be able to tune out and ignore all the pops and scratches when listening to vinyl. I'm sure people did the same thing with all the poop on the road back in the horse and buggy days.
If care was taken in the manufacture of the record and reasonable care taken by the owner, the record will have no pops and scratches and will be nearly if not as quiet as a CD.

I disagree with the original poster. I enjoy vinyl immensely but I don't beleve it's better than digital. The two formats have a different presentation, with digital beng more dynamic. Digital is also capable of truly deep bass, much deeper than vinyl is capable of.

It's fun comparing the same digital albums with the same vinyl albums. A really bad vinyl LP in horrible condition is torturous to listen to. Digital never gets THAT bad.

A superb digital file is just as enjoyable as a superb vinyl LP. I love switching between the two formats.

Digital is also capable of truly deep bass, much deeper than vinyl is capable of.

If by digital you mean redbook CD, I don't believe this is correct. While higher resolution recordings are definitely capable of exceeding vinyl and CD when it comes to frequency response.

I disagree with the original poster. I enjoy vinyl immensely but I don't beleve it's better than digital. The two formats have a different presentation, with digital beng more dynamic. Digital is also capable of truly deep bass, much deeper than vinyl is capable of.

It's fun comparing the same digital albums with the same vinyl albums. A really bad vinyl LP in horrible condition is torturous to listen to. Digital never gets THAT bad.

A superb digital file is just as enjoyable as a superb vinyl LP. I love switching between the two formats.
In terms of bass, digital can go louder, but I question whether it can go deeper, certainly to any practical degree. Vinyl can go as deep as resonance, but there's hardly any practical value below the fundamental of, say, a grand pipe organ.

I also agree that vinyl is very flawed. Surprising it is, then, that it can hold so much musicality. Perhaps music doesn't suit being 'perfect'.

Jim said, "A really bad vinyl LP in horrible condition is torturous to listen to. Digital never gets THAT bad." The first part is true, but the music data is largely still present - with a lot of noise. When you mess up your CD or digital copy, it doesn't sound bad. It just doesn't play, or plays with big gaps of data.

I remember hearing CD sound for the first time at an upscale audio "salon" in Paris shortly after the format was introduced and thinking "This will never catch on." The sound was dreadful. Yes, it got better, but by the time I bought my first CD player (the well-reviewed Sony CDP-502ES) my expectations were even higher. I had been buying CDs In anticipation of getting a player, and I guess I had predicted some sort of audio epiphany. I was sadly disappointed, but the sound was certainly much better than that of my first encounter.

After that, I bought mostly CDs, but was never completely sold on the format. I never got rid of my vinyl, and continued to tweek my playback system (Thorens 125 giving way to Michell Gyro with ET 2.0 arm), though the vinyl system got less and less use due to the relative inconvenience. At the same time, my attentions were focused elsewhere: computers and Home Theater.

Then, about 8 years ago, after major damage to my home in Hurricane Ike, I had to regroup, and took the time to listen to vinyl more closely again. Wonder of wonders, it sounded REALLY good - in many cases identical to CD and sometimes better. As others have pointed out in this thread, the final basic determinants in quality are the initial recording and master used for duplication. Sometimes the differences can be attributed to nothing more than that: for example, many mid-80s popular recordings were made directly from the masters originally made for vinyl - producing shrill and nearly unlistenable CDs, while much of the vinyl of that era sounds spectacular. It took a while for the recording technicians to figure out that a master for one format did not necessarily equate to the same master for another format.

Today, I listen to both formats. Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other. What I'm listening to makes a difference too: most popular music, small jazz ensembles, soloists, and chamber music are not terribly demanding on the recording technology, but full orchestral pieces and heavily synthetic EDM demand much more from the formats and invariably come out better on well-recorded digital media. Digital is certainly more convenient, but, I love the ritual of playing vinyl and the extremely high tweek-ability of the format. Just changing the cartridge can drastically affect the sound, and for the more patient audiophile, adjusting the multiple parameters of cartridge position and mounting can also make enormous changes in sound. Yes, DACs sound different too, but I don't have the technical savvy to swap chips out, and buying multiple DAC stand-alone units is cost prohibitive.

Back to my first comment, vinyl is much more durable than any single digital file. I have records that are 60 years old in pristine condition that still sound extraordinary. Current analog reproduction technology allows one to hear even the faults of the tubed equipment and tape used to originally make the recordings. Digital durability arises from the multiplicity of copies; any single copy can be gone in an instant. This issue is true for other analog versus digital media as well. Yes, you can burn a photo or a book, but that is a much rarer ocurrence than the corruption of a digital file, and a file corruption renders it unusable, while it takes a bit of torture to completely destroy analog data.

My solution: enjoy both!

I listened to records all through - Was born in 78, so did not "come of age" with them. Listened to my parents' music as a kid, adn then liked records in High School and college. Had a fixed cart bpc denon in my system forever...

I bought a Linn LP12 and an Audio Technica AT150-MLX in 2004 or so... That was a revelation. Been on the ride ever since.

When I was growing up in the early '80s, I never saw my parents play records. We didn't have a record player of any sort set up (well, there were a couple of Emerson tabletop AM/FM/phono/8-track stereos which had been hand-me-downs, but the record changers on both were never used), or any records around (everything was in the attic). My father had a stereo system in the living room, but the only components in it were an integrated amp, a tuner, and the speakers. Everything else was in the attic. My primary source of music was the '50s/60s oldies station my father's radios were always tuned to, followed by cassettes on a Fisher Price tape recorder, and later a Sony Walkman given to me by a relative.

As the '80s turned into the '90s, I started reading about CDs in various catalogs we got, including Service Merchandise and DAK. The breathless descriptions of digital perfection intrigued me, compared to the hissy quality of cassettes. As soon as they became affordable, I asked for a CD boombox for Christmas, and got one along with a CD of The Beatles 1967-1970. I was amazed at how nice it sounded compared to the cassettes I'd been playing for years. I got a Sony Discman some time after that, and it was neat, though I didn't like how short the battery life was compared to my old cassette Walkman.

Then a funny thing happened. At some point in 1994, I got ahold of a novelties catalog of some sort (the name "Johnson's" springs to mind). Among the funny gizmos and gadgets was a small replica of a Wurlitzer 1015 "bubbler" jukebox. I became fascinated by the design, and through some odd form of osmosis I still don't fully understand, the format it played, i.e. records. I took one of the aforementioned Emerson tabletop stereos, and bought a new stylus for it at Radio Shack. I went up into the attic to get a record, and chose "Christmas with Jack Jones" for some reason. The record player in the stereo was messed up, so I managed to find another Emerson stereo (this time with a cassette player in place of the 8-track slot) at a rummage sale; it worked better than the other one, but had me wanting more.

That December, I asked for a stereo receiver for Christmas, and received one (an Optimus STA-300 from Radio Shack). My father handed me down the Garrard 730m turntable and Sony TC-127 cassette deck which had gone with his own stereo system (I inherited the rest of it later), and we bought a pair of small Optimus speakers from the local Radio Shack to go with the receiver. The receiver had issues, but it was a start. I unearthed other records from the attic, and got other ones from yard sales and whatnot. At first, it was largely for the novelty of playing records; watching the disc spin as it played, and hearing the pops and clicks as the needle traced the groove. At some point, however, it became about more than that. I started getting better and better stereo equipment, finding better and better quality records, and I've been in this hobby ever since. :music:
-Adam

Last edited:
I have a ongoing digital to analog format competition in my system . After spending much funds I can say they are both very enjoyable to listen too
You can achieve great sound with either one but the digital is much more convenient .

I have a ongoing digital to analog format competition in my system . After spending much funds I can say they are both very enjoyable to listen too
You can achieve great sound with either one but the digital is much more convenient .

Very very true :)

Could not have written it better myself. One day I spin nothing but vinyl. The next day it may be all streams. Then my CDP gets lonely and it gets a workout. The Onkyo C-7030 has a wonderful headphone amp which gets plenty loud with marvelous clarity and detail. When hooked up to the pre through the analog out the SQ is of vinyl quality. Wolfson DAC's rock.

Right now I am in audio bliss as all my sources sound wonderful through my Emotiva XSP-1 with its direct short path mode has made everything sound great. The biggest improvement has been the reproduction of the streams from the Echo Dot. Not $hitting you in that sometimes I forget I'm listening to a stream. On several occasions I have sprinted to lift the needle off the record, only to find it was the Echo Dot playing. YMMV

I've always had at least one turntable around. But the reconversion moment happened the first time I got an all-tube phono preamp about 15 years ago.

I didnt even start buying cd's until about 2002. The first player I bought was for my then brand new jeep. I couldnt see the cassett deck that came in it lasting long. Ive steadily bought cd's since then. My oldest son being around stereo's and turntables up into high school never bought into the whole CD craze. At one point I even gave him my entire collection of LP's. Fast forward to now and I have several nice systems and ive set him up with a few also. im building a new collection of records, mostly new and he buys both. Its nice to have one of your kids like this stuff as much as you do. A big plus is that he turns me onto new music I would never have known existed or even know who to start listening to. I have so many CD's, but the record pike is growing again.

I never got rid of my turntable or records. First CD player about 1983-84 a Kenwood 6 disc cartridge changer my wife bought me for Christmas ( my father in law picked it out). Never liked the changer, too many mechanical problems. Replaced it with a single play Phillips CD60 with the infamous Phillips TDA 1541 D/A converter. Awesome sound! Worth seeking out a player with this D/A converter even today. I bought CD's and records both all along often in the same trip to my favorite record store, Car City Records in St. Clair Shores, Michigan. It's no longer there I do miss it. I have about 400 CD's and about 1500 LP's. Classical, classic rock, americana, jazz. Love my music. Since 1991 have used a Sota Sapphire series III with a Premier MMT/Grado MCZ.

Back
Top Bottom