Subscriber
My Monophonic system - December 2013:
IMG_1604.JPG

Another look with preamplifier power supply is directly below the turntable:
IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

Turntable - Garrard RC 88/4
Phonograph cartridge - Shure M7D
Preamp - Heathkit WA-P2 (with DIY power supply)
Amplifier - Magnavox AMP 169 BB
Speaker - unbranded. The internals look exactly like the Eber EE-80. Probably designed as a house brand speaker.

This system was inspired by the Heathkit WA-P2. I have several and I decided to make a prototype power supply to power it. The power supply worked out well and the final proof was to set up and listen to this mono system.

Last edited:
Here's a nice mod to complete the mono-mission ;)

http://www.rane.com/note109.html
Stereo phonograph cartridges are commonly summed by directly shorting the two outputs together without intervening resistors. e.g. The Shure mono cartridge is a stereo unit with linked outputs. If I was summing the signals together at preamplifier, CD player or tuner outputs, I would include a network similar to the one you have linked. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Very nice Systems indeed but for me I'd need 2 of the same,1 for one Ear and another for the other Ear but wait,I do it's called STEREO:)
Seriously I use to have a Mono Quad MK II Amplifier/Tuner and Controller(Pre-Amp) driving a Stromberg Carlson Huge Cabinet from 1962.I was given it by the original Owner's Wife,Mother of a friend,it was awesome but like a FOOL I got rid of it all,oops too late:)

Last edited:
... I use to have a Mono Quad MK II Amplifier/Tuner and Controller(Pre-Amp) driving a Stromberg Carlson Huge Cabinet from 1962.
Now that sounds like a really nice system. :yes: I still have my QUAD mono equipment awaiting a refreshment.

Cool! I've got one of those tables sitting on a shelf....One day it will get some love.

My Monophonic system - December 2013:

Another look:

The preamplifier power supply is directly below the turntable.

Turntable - Garrard RC 88/4
Phonograph cartridge - Shure M7D
Preamp - Heathkit WA-P2 (with DIY power supply)
Amplifier - Magnavox AMP 169 BB
Speaker - unbranded. The internals look exactly like the Eber EE-80. Probably designed as a house brand speaker.

This system was inspired by the Heathkit WA-P2. I have several and I decided to make a prototype power supply to power it. The power supply worked out well and the final proof was to set up and listen to this mono system.

I love it! :thmbsp:

I love the simplicity of it all.

Great equipment. Must sound just great!

:thmbsp:

lovely set up Tc. 95% of the time I enjoy mono over stereo. One speaker in the corner. All of my pre amps have a mono switch. I have been thinking of making my AR TT just for mono and a HH Scott mono pre/power amp with DIY speaker.

... I have been thinking of making my AR TT just for mono and a HH Scott mono pre/power amp with DIY speaker.
That sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup: Be sure to post some pictures when completed.

Last edited:
Very nice vintage system. I have a Shure M7D in my RC-121 and they are great for vintage changers

Question:
The Heathkit pre-amp has a magnetic phono pre-amp in order to use the Shure M7D cart?

Very nice vintage system. I have a Shure M7D in my RC-121 and they are great for vintage changers

Question:
The Heathkit pre-amp has a magnetic phono pre-amp in order to use the Shure M7D cart?
Yes, the Heathkit WA-P2 does have the amplification and equalization suitable for use with a standard magnetic phonograph cartridge. The equalization is adjustable, from the front panel, for recording curves pre-RIAA as well as RIAA, making it suitable for all monophonic recordings including 78's. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom