My MR71 is home and running...a few Q.

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Can anyone send me a copy of the user's manual?, also, what kind of antenna system did people here implement with their MR tunes? It sound pretty good as of now with speaker wire running up and around the window, but there is a trace of crack and pop noise in the background.

does stereo only kick in when the signal reaches a certain strength? the signal is cleaner in mono as of now.

basically, share a run thru on how to optimize this puppy.

WhiteSE said:
Can anyone send me a copy of the user's manual?, also, what kind of antenna system did people here implement with their MR tunes? It sound pretty good as of now with speaker wire running up and around the window, but there is a trace of crack and pop noise in the background.

does stereo only kick in when the signal reaches a certain strength? the signal is cleaner in mono as of now.

basically, share a run thru on how to optimize this puppy.
Having gotten back into vintage stereo a few years ago ( after a ten year absence) by getting into FM tuners, I found that the best thing you can do for any tuner is to get a good FM ant. If possible, I recommend an APS 9 or 13 if you have room on the roof along with a good rotor and a length of coax cable into your 75 om input into your tuner.
If you can't go that route, at the very least get a FM ant. from RS and put it into your attic, although it's hard to get one of those and a rotor in most attics, but a good di-pole ant. is what makes the difference in signal strength, which does give you the strong FM signal that is needed.
I got a service manual and owner's manual from a member here for a good price, and some may have a PDF for you, but you didn't mention if your tuner has had a recent going over and alignment by a good McIntosh service tech, like Terry DeWick, or not, which makes a huge difference in all areas for a tuner that is over 25 yrs. of age. If that has been done, then you need a good ant., and not a $4 T type either, unless you just want to listen to very strong local stations?
If you want to know the member where I got my manuals, then PM me and I'll send you his info. He was a pleasure to deal with, and one of the manuals was org. and both in perfect condition.
A really nice Mc tuner is fantastic if it's been gone over and aligned and well worth the small investment for such a wonderful way to enjoy music. I have a MR 74, and although it's going up to Terry very soon for all the above reasons, it's still a great tuner already, it just needs a little tweaking.
Good luck

I'm using a basic R Shack outside TV/FM and it's way better than struggling with a dipole or some other kind of wire plugged into the back of the tuner.

Rig up an outside/attic antenna like whatshisname suggested. You'll be glad you did.

MR-73 here, aligned/tuned up by Terry. :thmbsp:

Murray

Actually, its sounding pretty awesome right now, with just sthe speaker wire as antenna...

Carl, yes the tubes arrived this afternoon..Thanks a bunch! Your went with the postman also to sunny CA.

Doh!!! I forgot all about Berners site!

THe MR71 stays in stereo as long as it can find the 19K subcarrier, you will get some hiss in stereo mode below about 15uV signal level.

Back
Top Bottom