My music sounds brighter

Cspiegs

Hello all. All of a sudden my music sounds brighter whether I'm listening to a record or a CD. I do have to turn down the treble a bit to compensate for this and make it pleasurable to listen to. Nothing has changed with my electronics which consists of a Yanaha DSP A1 integrated amp, DBX 3BX DS dynamic range controller, Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable with acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, Wharfedale Rubiance RB 27 floor standing speakers in the front and RB 23 bookshelf speakers in the rear and a Mirage FRX S15 subwoofer.

I would have thought that if I was experiencing any deterioration of my electronics, it would be in the opposite direction with a decrease in high-end response.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

There are a lot of things to fiddle with in your system. Check your settings.
Atmospheric changes, power line changes, etc... can have an effect.
How long have you noticed this brightness?

Plenty of knobs and settings on the Yamaha DSP A1, the DBX 3BX, and the Mirage subwoofer to accidentally tweak; I'd check all the settings.

Though when one of my systems gets trebly -- as it occasionally does -- it's because the subwoofer is off, unplugged, or turned too far down.

How old are you? I'm 62 and my hearing has gotten very sensitive to high freqs. Especially at 9500Hz, where my ears ring. It just may be beginning for you. Sorry if that's true.

Accidentally switched out the DBX?? That was my experience with a DBX 118.
Checked and no.
There are a lot of things to fiddle with in your system. Check your settings.
Atmospheric changes, power line changes, etc... can have an effect.
How long have you noticed this brightness?
I haven't changed any settings on my equipment. I started noticing this about 2 weeks ago

Hmmmm... check equipment and settings as suggested and report back.
I set up my audio system 1.5 years ago. I've made no changes in the room nor any equipment settings since. I have the room temp at 70 degrees and humidity at 50%. I started noticing the brightness about 2 weeks ago.

How old are you? I'm 62 and my hearing has gotten very sensitive to high freqs. Especially at 9500Hz, where my ears ring. It just may be beginning for you. Sorry if that's true.
Interesting but I thought as you get older, there is a decrease in high frequency sensitivity.

I just turned 59 a month ago.

The 2M Blue can be bright imo. Check alignment, VTA, etc. clean the stylus, etc.
I'm not sure why the cart settings would change once initially set up correctly. And I clean the stylus before playing each side.

I have noticed this brightness on my CD player as well. It started about 2 weeks ago.

Anyone besides you use or have access to your system? Were the speakers moved or toe-in changed? Anything removed from the room?

No one but me used the system and no changes have been made.
The Yamaha DSP A1 has digital settings. Occasionally, particularly on older digital gear (which this is), the NVRAM (non-volatile read-only memory) that retains the settings will become corrupt. The result is settings that change by themselves.

Check them to see if they've changed.

Back
Top Bottom