My Musical Journey

Ken Hicks

56 years old, started really getting into music in H.S. My aunt is Bonnie Bramlett (Google her). I was on stage with Eric Clapton (among others) when I was 7 or 8 but it was past my bedtime so I didn't give a rat's ass about it. I always like the heavier stuff in the 70s like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, AC/DC, BOC, UFO, Scorpions, Michael Schenker's Group, etc. I was blown away by Iron Maiden's first two albums. Even though I like the heavy stuff it seems most the band's that I have most of their discography lean toward the progressive - Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull.

Then the "Big Four" Hit - Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, and Anthrax. I LOVE Slayer and Megadeth. The other two - meh. At that time I lived in Portland and worked for a concert promoter and was really involved in the thrash/speed metal scene. I was roommates with Marco and John of Wehrmacht fame. Drifted into stuff like Tool, White Zombie, Lamb of God, etc. Had a Christian Rock phase and like Project 86, Living Sacrifice, Tourniquet, and so on. My current favorite is Opeth. I took up the drums a few years ago and now I've come full circle and listen to a lot of Traffic, Allman Brothers, ELP, etc.

Through all the heaviness there was always a streak of eclecticness (for me) to my taste with CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell, Frank Zappa, Pat Metheny, Bill Evans, Sarah Mclaughlin, Mr. Bungle, etc.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hi Ken,

Your musical journey is pretty familiar to me since I follow your posts on "What are you listening to right now" with interest.

I'm as happy listening to Verdi (which I'm doing right now) as Deep Purple. I sang in a choir when I was a kid, and have never lost the taste for the sheer beauty of children's voices, whether singing sacred or secular music. These days, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, and can't play a note on any instrument, but it doesn't stop me enjoying what other people do. Never been too interested in the heaviest of rock music, but I appreciate some of the gems that turn up from the genre, such as Metallica's collaboration with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, and pretty well anything that is performed with enthusiasm. I'm particularly interested in music which bridges the gap between popular and classical.

I like to explore non-English music and have found some great tunes as a result. One of my favourites is Notre Dame de Paris, which sent me hunting down music by the various performers of that show, and opened up a whole new area for me.

Generally, I'm of the opinion that if someone cared enough to record it, there's probably something worth having a listen to and there are few genres that I'll dismiss out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom