My Needle Store USA Amazon seller

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by N8Nagel, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Keep in mind as well, I'm one of the some who some say some should never listen to ... but then again, I suppose that depends on which some you're listening to some of the time ... ;-}

2. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Oops, forgot to mention the tracking force. On the side of the box for the Normarh 91DE stylus is says: "FUERZA DE BRAZO 2.0 a 4.0 GR." So, I set the tracking force to 2.0g. The original Shure 2225 at 1.75g and the Signet MK10ML at 1.0g both track better than the Normarh at 2.0g. I have not tried to go any higher with the Normarh.

3. ripblade

ripblade Super Member

I've seen pretty crappy Pfans as well.

N9JCQ likes this.
  4. needlestein

needlestein AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe you got a bad one anyway...

5. beej

beej Proud BaPa of G, A and AJ Subscriber

Apologies for being late to the party, but may I ask what your source was for the NOS Ne95ED?

6. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I got it from LPTunes (LPGear's sister site). Both sites had it listed, but for some reason the shipping was $4 cheaper through LPTunes. It arrived sooner than expected, and is indeed a genuine Shure Ne95ED, new old stock in the original packaging. I sent them an email at the time of my purchase and they followed up to make sure I received the stylus and was satisfied with their product and service. Very much so.

Here's the Ne95ED in the original packaging and mounted on my R47XT cartridge:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a perfect fit on the R47XT with no need to hack up the plastic shroud.

malden likes this.
  7. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Well, still no satisfaction from Amazon seller My Needle Store. They promised to send the correct Pfanstiehl 4760-DE stylus on February 25. Here it is 23 days later and no replacement has shown up. They don't provide tracking numbers for their shipments (they claim it costs too much), but the incorrect Normarh stylus only took 8 days to arrive. I just sent them another email to ask why it's taking so long for the correct replacement stylus to arrive.

8. malden

malden Super Member

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Agreed, a big thumbs up for LPTunes/LPGear, and a BIG thumbs down for My Needle Store.

10. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Heard back from My Needle Store again, They claimed they shipped the replacement stylus, but it "must have gotten lost in the mail". I don't really buy that tied old excuse. I know it happens, in theory, but I ship hundreds of items per year, including dozens of international shipments through the postal service, and I've had a grant total of one package that was lost in the last 15 years.

We'll see how long it takes to process my refund, or if that gets lost, too.

11. vwestlife

vwestlife Active Member

You'd think Amazon would crack down on bad sellers more than eBay, but they often don't.
    LP Gear has good service and offers their own custom stylus types, but is often pricey.
    For excellent service and prices, I recommend VM Audio Enthusiasts at www.thevoiceofmusic.com. Their site makes it very easy to see what stylus types are available for a particular cartridge, both OEM and aftermarket.
    "stereoneedleslady" (Carole's Needles) and "needledaddy1" on eBay are also very good.

12. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

needledaddy1 is good, until he gets a wild hair up his ass and blocks you for no apparent reason.

needlestein likes this.
  13. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I received a refund of the $11.37 purchase price from My Needle Store today for the Pfanstiehl 4760-DE that I never received. So, at the end of the day, about a month wasted on a product I never received, but I did get a free Made in Colombia Normarh stylus that I probably won't use after I get something else from a reputable seller to replace it.

The Normarh looks like it's well made, but as I reported in my initial listen tests, it has very harsh highs. I'll give it a week or two of break in time to see if it improves while I wait on a replacement.

I have narrowed it down to these two:

EVG 760-DED from eBay seller stereoneedleslady (Carole's Needles) for $12.95 shipped.

REPLACEMENT FOR SHURE N75ED TYPE 2 NEEDLE STYLUS from LPTunes for $34.95 + shipping.

My one, and only experience with LPTunes was very positive, but my original goal was to find a cheap, but decent sounding replacement stylus for the Shure 2215 cartridge that came with my MCS 6601 turntable. It's not my main table and will probably be handed down to one of my kids. So, I don't want to put much money into it. The EVG has gotten good reviews. So, I think I'll give it a try and see how it compares to the Normarh I received from My Needle Store. It's in the same price range. So, it should be a fair comparison.

malden likes this.
  14. needlestein

15. w1jim

w1jim I can fix it but good... Subscriber

I wonder if you could calm the harsh highs on the Normath stylus?
    I was thinking perhaps treating the cantilever somehow - maybe paint it lightly with nail polish or something.
    Not knowing what I'm talking about it would make for an interesting experiment.

truckrglenn likes this.
  16. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Arg! So many choices.

Seriously, thanks for the link. It specifically lists that stylus as a replacement for the 2225 stylus that originally came on my 2215 cartridge.

So, now it comes down to the EVG 760-DED vs. the Pfanstiehl 4762-DE. Both are .3 x .7 mil elliptical diamonds, but the recommended tracking force for the EVG is .75 - 1.5g compared to 2g for the Pfanstiehl. Time to do a little more research...

17. needlestein

I'd experiment with increasing tracking force.

18. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

In the first post the OP said he ordered EVG styli. Now he is accepting Phansteil

He is still being "baited and switched" IMO YMMV

19. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Where did the OP say that he's accepting Pfanstiehl?

20. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Good advice. The recommended tracking force for the Normarh is 2 - 4g. Right now I have it set at 2.0g and it doesn't track as well as the original Shure 2225 at 1.75g or my Signet MK10ML at 1.0g. I hate to go too high on the tracking force, but I'll bump the Mormarh up to 2.5g and see if it helps.

In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered the EVG 760-DED stylus from eBay seller stereoneedleslady (Carole's Needles). I couldn't find a single bad review for this inexpensive "generic" stylus. According to the seller:

Tip: .3 x .7 mil elliptical diamond. Tracking Force .75 to 1.5 Grams This is made for EV by Jico. Manufactured in Japan.

This is the one with the back plastic body. This seller, and several others, also sell a brown bodied N75ED replacement that does NOT get such universally good reviews. The preferred black bodied one sells for pennies more. So, that's the one I went with. Should be here early next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.