My New Amp!

My Other New Amp!

Courtesy USPS. Note the major crash mark on the bottom right side bezel, no extra charge, with the busted glass.

The 2125 got here yesterday and the 2002 got here today.

Murray

OUCH! :sigh:

How was it packed? All carriers will only honor insurance if the item was packed to standard for the weight. FedEx just paid for damaging one of my Shanling amps. I got to keep the old one and they paid for the new one. Hope yours was packed well.

What Wards said.

I'm not fortunate enough to have first hand Mac knowledge, but those look like heavy puppies. Carriers require 2" MINIMUM of padding on all sides for an insurance claim, and probably would scoff at 2" of peanuts or crumbled newspaper. If there was less than 2" of padding, go after your seller. Big boys like those two prolly should have been double cartoned minimum too. But if you had 2" of padding and paid for the exrtra coverage Fedex should cover you. If not, they'll still pay you the $100 coverage included on all shipments.

What did the cartons look like?????????

Ouch. Well, be sure to hang onto the cartons for insurance. The big shippers can be a pain in the ass to deal with, but don't put it off of you'll get screwed. Be sure the shipper is willing to deal with this as well. Sorry to see this, what a total drag.

I just had a very similar experience with a receiver and UPS paid the entire claim including the shipping cost.Make your claims and i hope your luck is as good as mine was. Jim

Money aside, The thing that really creams me is to see a beautiful piece of vintage end up like that. I nearly cried at the sight of some speakers not to long ago and they were well packaged. They had to drop them from a lift to do that kind of damage. I also feel your pain.

And I was so Excited!

Well, I've learned some important lessons here. 1) take the knobs off and 2) don't spare the bubble wrap. Looks like to me (obvious) that both of these were dropped on the concrete/asphalt. Sheesh!

I've already ordered the glass +/- $70 and end bezels +/- $40 ea for the 2002(nice folks at Mc in NY) and am really looking forward to dealing with the claims. :no: Looks like the 2125 is going back to the guy that shipped it to me. What a pita.

Thanks for the kind words and pain sharing. :)

Got the 2002 booted up and running now. :smoke: Sounds great.

Murray

Boxes

The 2125 was sent in a Mc box, double boxed. Must have been dropped on its side, with the glass down. From a couple of feet high. The 2002 looked like it was well packed although the box was a liitle flimsy, perhaps. The 2002 box has a small hole in the bottom where the corner punched through it. Looks like.

It's easy to figure out how they should have been packed after they're busted, of course.

Listening to KUSC (classical) on the FM rite now, MC-2002! Broken glass and all. Beethoven's 5th. I think.

Murray

I have quite a few horror stories from FedEx ground,
which to me, is the worst shipping company on earth!

Good luck on the recourse action and hope all works
out to your benefit!

Scott

I've never recieved anything in that condition amazingly. I can't imagine how I would feel if I was expecting a couple of Macs and they arrived in that state. I honestly think I would cry...sad sad state of affairs.

Thanks Guys

Yeah, I was looking forward to the 2125 - sorta the little brother of the 2205 . :) It's compact, and at only 65 lbs., can actually be moved around. I thought it would be great in my 2 channel system.

Looks like the shipper is going to deal with the 2125. Looks like I may have to drag the 2002 over to the Post Office. Should be fun.

Murray

Do not ever ship a Mac. E V E R .

To pack a Mac like this properly, you are talking a few large OfficeMax style boxes of bubble wrap, and 2 boxes (large and larger). I packed up an MX-110 that I sold to Terry during a series of gear refurbs and swaps. I spent $100 on packing materials alone - plus 50ish dollars in shipping and insurance fees to do the job right. It made it OK, but I was fingernail-less by the time it got there.

When shipping ANYTHING, one must understand what your item is subject to. It could be dropped from any angle from a height of 6 feet or more (not good for Mac glass faceplates). Think automated conveyors in massive sorting/routing warehouses with "punch arms" that send your Mac through the proper "chute" for your route. Guess what happens if one of these "punch arms" misses the proper chute - like going over the side of the conveyor to a 6+ foot fall to a concrete floor. When that Mac weighs 50-100 lbs, you KNOW that's gonna hurt.

One of my MC-30's had a similar fate. I purchased a pair of MC-30's from a west coast seller, complete with ebay feedback expressly stating that said seller was a good packer. Well, guess what? One amp arrived with one bent end - props to Terry for getting it back to a good looking unit. But that was the last straw. No more shipping my precious Macs. If they need to see Terry, I will deliver them the 11 hours necessary to guarantee that they arrive at Terry's as they left my home.

My own personal experience, as well as this thread tells me - NEVER SHIP A MAC!

Audible Nectar said:
Do not ever ship a Mac. E V E R .

To pack a Mac like this properly, you are talking a few large OfficeMax style boxes of bubble wrap, and 2 boxes (large and larger). I packed up an MX-110 that I sold to Terry during a series of gear refurbs and swaps. I spent $100 on packing materials alone - plus 50ish dollars in shipping and insurance fees to do the job right. It made it OK, but I was fingernail-less by the time it got there.

When shipping ANYTHING, one must understand what your item is subject to. It could be dropped from any angle from a height of 6 feet or more (not good for Mac glass faceplates). Think automated conveyors in massive sorting/routing warehouses with "punch arms" that send your Mac through the proper "chute" for your route. Guess what happens if one of these "punch arms" misses the proper chute - like going over the side of the conveyor to a 6+ foot fall to a concrete floor. When that Mac weighs 50-100 lbs, you KNOW that's gonna hurt.

One of my MC-30's had a similar fate. I purchased a pair of MC-30's from a west coast seller, complete with ebay feedback expressly stating that said seller was a good packer. Well, guess what? One amp arrived with one bent end - props to Terry for getting it back to a good looking unit. But that was the last straw. No more shipping my precious Macs. If they need to see Terry, I will deliver them the 11 hours necessary to guarantee that they arrive at Terry's as they left my home.

My own personal experience, as well as this thread tells me - NEVER SHIP A MAC!

Both my Mac4100 and Mc2205 arrived here in WNY from South Florida and Arizona respecively, thank goodness without so much as a scratch.

How the heck does the Mac factory distribute them around the country/internationally without going bankrupt on damage claims?

I had to ship my MAC 4100 to Terry Dewick. I was so freaked out I called McIntosh and bought their shipping box. (yes, they still provide them) It was 45 bucks, but it came and went in that box with no problem. It was well designed. I'm holding on to it just in case.

Back
Top Bottom