My New Amp!

"How the heck does the Mac factory distribute them around the country/internationally without going bankrupt on damage claims?"

Typically a volume account like McIntosh means more consideration from the courier on insurance claims.

Example: I have a friend who purchased a $2000 guitar from Taylor, factory direct. The guitar arrived the first time with a slight manufacturer defect, which Taylor cheerfully agreed to rectify. On the second guitar shipment, the neck was broken IN HALF - in the freeking case, no less - so my buddy calls Taylor and explains the situation. The Taylor people said "Oh, no worries - we ship out hundreds of guitars weekly through UPS - they break about one out of 150. We ship so many, and since we are the factory, they don't give us any grief on paying claims".

We all know from numerous internet stories that claiming insurance loss from shippers (especially UPS) is NEVER that easy. If McIntosh's shipping company was busting up too many units, Mc is either going to demand damage payment from insurance, or find another shipper. That's a luxury us "regular guy" shipping customers do not have - couriers will just laugh at you.

If I were to ship anything like this, I would do it as follows:

1) Take pictures of the unit before packing, to establish condition.

2) Take pictures of the unit in various stages of packing, to prove you did it properly.

3) Pack it to be near bulletproof (unit > 6" of bubble wrap all around unit > box > 2-3 more inches of bubble wrap > bigger box).

4) Before sealing the box, get the shipper's OK that the unit is packed per regulations (IOW, good enough that they won't try to skate out of paying due to poor packing). If they are going to tell you that it is not packed well enough, make the shipper do it BEFORE you ship.

I remember a member of another forum who did ALL of the above with a pair of speakers he sold to another forum member, and UPS damaged them (knocking the drivers clean out of the cabinets - and removing/breaking one of the woofer magnets from the speaker basket). UPS tried denying the claim, stating that the speakers were not packed properly. The sender then presented the mountain of evidence to UPS (along with some heated discussion and legal threats) to get his money. He did get his money, but without ultimate proof that he followed the rules on insuring items, he would have eaten the bill for those speakers (as he was a very reputable forum member, and would never have made the buyer eat the bill).

I paid a seller of my current minty MX-110 $100 (plus a very good price from the sellers POV) to deliver the unit from Atlanta to Knoxville (Terry DeWick's place). I had a seller who was just as concerned as I that I would get the 110 safe and performing as it should, so he agreed to the delivery to Terry's. I'll pay a seller more for a unit when they are willing to assure such satisfaction. Beats arguing with a shipper over a damaged unit - and saves tears from seeing the damage of that beeeeeuuuutiful McIntosh.

If it were a $200 unit - OK, I'll ship it. But an almost mint condition 1968 MX-110?? Uh-uh. Not happening. This thread reinforces that opinion.

Do not ever ship a Mac. E V E R .

if i had my choice i wouldnt either but circumstances dictate that i have to

But an almost mint condition 1968 MX-110?? Uh-uh. Not happening. This thread reinforces that opinion.
well i have one in similar condition on the way to me now and if there was a way that i could have picked it up i would have but its too far away and has to be shipped.besides im sure there are many more mcintosh pieces that get shipped that arrive intact than there are that get busted up .inproper packing has alot to do with it though it sounds like the ones in this thread were packed right.a fluke perhaps but nonetheless saddening to see gear in this shape.i should be getting my mx110 next week and id be surprised if it arrives damaged
chris

Shipped an MA-6900 to Phoenix from NJ. In the original double boxes with the board screwed to the bottom of the amp. Just like from the factory. Went Fedex Ground. You guessed it. Shattered front. As usual, the Fedex guys took four weeks to get to him and said it would 6-8 weeks to resolve. That is their standard/favorite method of getting you to not put in a claim. Make you wait. If the buyer had waited it would have been 3-4 months to get his claim handled.

Plywood!

Yam B-2 - I like the idea of bolting the unit to a piece of plywood - say 1/2" or so. Seems like most of my Mc gear has those clip-in thingies on the bottom where a #8 sheet metal screw goes. Might help to spread some of the impact if the unit is dropped on its face (board sticking out about 1/2" from the bottom on all sides.) Although it apparently didn't work in your case.

Contacted the Post Office today about the damage claim for the 2002. Guy on the phone says "bring all your paper work here, along with your amp and box. Leave it here for 6-8 weeks while your claim is processed in MO." I said " you're kidding" and he said "that's how it works."

Looks like I'm gonna have to go over there tomorrow and see what the deal is.

I've had five amps (two integrated, two power and one tube) from McIntosh and all had the original boxes and all came with the piece of plywood and screws to mount the amp with. So, having been shipped to me and away from me, guess I'm getting 90% service (9-out-of-10 survivied).

Good to see our dear old USPS is no better than UPS or Fedex. :thumbsdn: I sent a MO to CA on 1/08/05. Went 1st class mail. After two weeks I ask at the PO what it takes to get my money back. Same story. Can't even file until has been thirty days. Guess what? On 2/12/05 it arrived in CA. How's that for service? Five weeks for 1st class mail coast-to-coast. At least I was dealing with an honorable person and he returned it to me. Only took three days to get home. And the PO cashed it for me. But, they would not return the cost of purchase.

People whine about 'big government'. These things are the result of 'small government'. No rules for the rich and no one to enforce the few we have. Ooops......I hope that wasn't unPC.

I have had bad experience with FedEx ground as a buyer. Others have had bad experience with the companies that I use to ship, while I never have.

It's all in the packing. Some can, some can't. Some never will.

The only way I would feel comfortable with 2" of foam padding on a piece like that, was if the 2" was in between the inner and outer box. You can bet your ass the inner box would have AT LEAST 2 more inches of padding.

Last edited:
SPL db said:
I have quite a few horror stories from FedEx ground,
which to me, is the worst shipping company on earth!

Good luck on the recourse action and hope all works
out to your benefit!

Scott
Amen Scott, Fedex SUCKS!!!!! I will never use them, i would rather drive to get or to give then to use those friggin Aholes!!!!!! :thumbsdn:

Toasted Almond, Grumpy, and Wards could pack and ship a Ferrari Enzo and I guarantee it would arrive unscathed :yes: Those guys are masters of the craft ;) Others in AK are no slouches but those three are the Michelangelos of packing.

shelby1420 said:
Amen Scott, Fedex SUCKS!!!!! I will never use them, i would rather drive to get or to give then to use those friggin Aholes!!!!!! :thumbsdn:
They all suck...pick your poison.

EchoWars said:
They all suck...pick your poison.

Yup, have had pretty good results with Canada post though, about 25 ships and receives and neh a problem!!!! thats one of the reasons when the monster is done by you i'm gonna drive to pick her up, just don't trust any of them to transport her..... even Canada post!!!!! :thmbsp:

I recently went through hell with a Mc207 that FedEx smashed. It was in the factory double box and screwed to the factory plywood, but that didn't matter as it was smashed all to hell still.

I paid FedEx $273 to have it shipped out to me in California from Florida. I was supposed to sign for it, but when I got home from work it was sitting on my step w/o a signature. When I checked the records the driver had signed for mew (forgery?)

I noticed that the side of the box had been a little indented, but I was excited and wanted to plug in my MC207!

Unfortunately when I slowly opened the box I noticed the smashed faceplate. I promptly called FedEx and started a claim. FedEx sent out somebody to pick up the amp for inspection. I had taken a ton of pictures and placed labels on the amp requesting that it be returned to me and not the sender.

Well they didn't read the big 8.5x11 address labels requesting that it be shipped back to me and after they conducted their "damage investigation" it was shipped back to Florida!

The seller refused it and then it was sent back to me! (In California)

By this time the 116lb Mc207 has been pretty beaten up (three times across the country -twice without reason!)

Well the "claims investigator" decided that none of the damage occurred while it was in their possession so they were not going to pay me anything. Initially the damage was simply a smashed faceplate. After going back and forth across the country and sitting in a warehouse getting kicked around it was really messed up.

I escalated again and was told that their decision stood and that they didn't feel that they had damaged the amp. I wrote a letter (clear concise and respectful) to the CEO of FedEx which was promptly sent right back to the woman that rejected my claim in the first place.

I was pretty steamed up after spending as much as I did and FedEx telling me "to bad"!

Mcintosh ended up taking care of me, and I am VERY delighted about that, but FedEx was really F'd up to me. I will do whatever I can to not spend money with them and I am urging my friends and business partners to do the same.

Rant off now...
:worried:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom