My new beer fridge...

I am very envious. I was trying to scoop an old fridge that my dad inherited with his new house. Turns out, he had a moment of weakness when he offered it, and it will not be gracing my man cave. That's ok, everytime he's over to listen to some tunes in the cave (really my office), I make him go upstairs to get the ice for the scotch :)

Enjoy it!

I haven't been able to nail down the exact year of it yet, but I'm thinking some where about 1934 or 36...

Yes, they do use either Sulfur dioxide or methyl.. not sure which this has in it. Also, some of them had a a chemical in the door as an insulator. Can't remember what it's called, but it's poison too....

The cost to convert to a modern refrigerant is a lot more than I care to spend now.. I

Yeah.. I had seen that site.. I'll probably end up ordering a door seal from them. I was looking at the seel the night before, and it's pretty hard.. still seals, but still... it's pretty much time for a new one..

Marcia liked the idea of sending it to a body shop for a cool paint job too..

Yeah.. I had seen that site.. I'll probably end up ordering a door seal from them. I was looking at the seel the night before, and it's pretty hard.. still seals, but still... it's pretty much time for a new one..

Marcia liked the idea of sending it to a body shop for a cool paint job too..

We took our porch glider to a place out in Manassas that bead blasted it and did a baked enamel finish. It was pretty rusted up when we took it to them and it came back looking brand new. Which is pretty good for something from the 40’s. If I remember right it cost around $200 total.

I was thinking a nice candy paint, with a few coats of hand rubbed lacquer... maybe a touch of pearl to it too..

I was thinking a nice candy paint, with a few coats of hand rubbed lacquer... maybe a touch of pearl to it too..

That would look incredible! Are you still thinking or running a tap through the door? I would have second thoughts about that if you go to the trouble of doing a nice paint and minimal restore.

That would look incredible! Are you still thinking or running a tap through the door? I would have second thoughts about that if you go to the trouble of doing a nice paint and minimal restore.

I was thinking about looking for another door from one that's been scrapped.. that was I've got a good door, and one I can drill..

Not to be "Donny the downer" here, but I seem to recall that these monitor-top units used either sulfur dioxide or methyl formate for coolant.

I used to have a small chest-type refrigerator in my shop at work. It was my brothers back in the 70s and was pretty old when he got it. I got to checking on it and it used sulfur dioxide for coolant.

Might want to check it out and use some precaution if it is to be place in your "living space"! :scratch2:

sure the shit inside is poisonous, but hey, as long as it's not leaking all over your food.

Modern fridges are cooled with freon, but no one goes wild about that.

Back
Top Bottom