My new compact rear horns are finished!!!

efficiency???

I'm running the two in series on the output of an Eico HF-12 P-P 6BQ5 mono amp in my living room with the speakers out in the middle of the room as seen in the photos without benefit of wall or corner bass reinforcement. I need all the Eico has which works out at 6 watts per speaker, but they fill the room with beautiful sound, although not shaking the house. String bass is very full, rich and realistic, not shy at all. Piano sounds just right and you can almost see the guy stroking those brushes on on the drums. This is on the FM jazz station. CD sourced Jazz and Elton John sounds even better at the attainable listening levels. The soundstage on mono is a surprisingly large sweet spot. Female vocals are unreal, or rather ....well I think you know what I'm trying to say. ;)

I'm pretty pleased with these and am going to leave these speakers in this stage of development for benchmark comparison and make another set to continue development with.

If anyone here in the Toronto area with a 300B SE (or larger) stereo amp (tube amps only need apply) wants to come over and audition these that would be a treat. 4 ohms best but we can live with 8. Single 45's or 2A3's won't have enough steam however. Please contact me by PM.

Rob

Originally posted by Rob
Thatch,

I don't know the efficiency as I do not own an SPL meter yet, however I am going to hook them up in series today and place them on the 12 watt output of the Eico HF-12. If there is good volume then these will each be fine on a 6 watt SET amp. I'll post later on my test results. I sure could use a pair of ~6-7 watt 300B SETs here for testing purposes now.

It looks like, as I get more into this design that I am going to spawn another cabinet version with different driver arrangement and no crossovers whatsoever. I am using minimalist crossover technology in this present version, that being only a second order HP to protect the ribbon tweeter. No Zobels.

I do have hopes that one version of this design will be especially LP SET friendly.

Rob

Last edited:
Thor,

I am really trying to say I know it will be more than $999.00, how much more only time and a lot more hard work will tell. One thing though is I really am enjoying the journey. I get great satisfaction from following an inspiration through to successful completion.

Rob

Also if you need anyone to torture test your speakers I believe I believes I am your man ;)

Thor,

I don't think so and, they aren't those kind of speakers.
You will want to make love to these, not beat them up, metaphorically speaking of course. ;)

Rob

You mean like play Jazz on them and stuff? :puke:

Sorry I didn't know you were making girly man speakers! ;) :p: :D ;)

Back
Top Bottom