My New Compost Bins

Discussion in 'Non-audio related DIY' started by jheu02, May 7, 2018.

1. jheu02

jheu02 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I put the last set of bins together by stapling chicken wire to discarded wood pallets. They held up well for several years, however, compost, doing what it does best, ate away at the wood of the pallets til they basically disintegrated on the lower parts. So, after looking at several DIY bins online, this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made them of pressure treated lumber ... 2x4, 2x6, and 5/8" "dog ear" fence planks. 1/2" mesh galvanized hardware cloth and lots of deck screws. Hopefully the treated lumber will hold together better than the pallets did, though it's not specifically rated for ground contact.

mfrench, timmo and John James like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mfrench

mfrench AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those look fantastic!
    Mine: turkey wire wrapped around steel stakes (all built and provided by the previous owner here). It works, but, spills out all around the sides.

In a slight deviation, I recently drove past a property where the owner had collected pallets, and arranged them around the property line, like a picket fence, complete with white paint. It took a minute to realize what I was looking at; then I cracked up.