My new Fisher SA-100

Redboy

a few good watts
Subscriber
I wasn't shopping for a new amp (honest!), but when I saw the sheer size of the output transformers on this thing, I grabbed it.

I'm glad I did!

It's in very nice condition overall. Bone stock. Missing the oval "The Fisher" badge (anyone have an extra?), a few flecks out of the paint, but perfectly functional.

Wow, is this a nice sounding little amp! :yes:

I love my SE 2A3 amp and always find myself coming back to it, but with my Tannoys, the extra power of a push pull EL84 amp like this really adds some nice grunt to the low end. And those giant transformers mean even more bass extension - this amp squeezes every bit out of an EL84 tube!

For reference, those output transformers are the same size as the iron on my Pilot SA-260, an EL34 amp! Some pictures:

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Wow, that is really nice. Those transformers look like they're about the size of the ones in my SA-300. I've been thinking of tracking down an EL84 amp, as I love my Eico 2036 integrated that has them...amazing tone. I think I have a new target to look for. Yours looks to be in really nice condition..for whatever reason, whenever I see pictures of Fisher amps they're always really beat up looking.

also, where the hell do you find these things???? you live in freaking Minnesota from crying out loud!!!!

Wow, that is really nice. Those transformers look like they're about the size of the ones in my SA-300. I've been thinking of tracking down an EL84 amp, as I love my Eico 2036 integrated that has them...amazing tone. I think I have a new target to look for. Yours looks to be in really nice condition..for whatever reason, whenever I see pictures of Fisher amps they're always really beat up looking.
John, put this model on your short list. :yes:

Or a Pilot SA-232, of course.

I'm not sure why the Fishers are always so beat - I'd attribute it to the paint they used, but I've seen a couple examples of nice ones that belie that theory. Modegard's SA-300 is one of the most beautiful vintage amps I've had the pleasure of seeing in person!

It is my very humble opinion that Fisher had the second best EL84 output transformer ever made (bested only by the Dynaco Z565). I have a couple of them all chromed out just waiting to sing some day. What is it about that puny little tube that sounds so wonderful?:music:

and look at the PT on that thing!!

Having heard both SE and PP EL84, I can honestly say I prefer them in PP since they retain their trademark sound but give more power in this config. IMO, of course.

Beaty-full Fisher ya got there. I like the iron as well. And the tube rectification. And, well everything haha. :thmbsp::thmbsp:

Fully adjustable DC bias and balance controls on a EL84/7189 amp is a rare feature. Very cool amp.

I'm not sure why the Fishers are always so beat - I'd attribute it to the paint they used, but I've seen a couple examples of nice ones that belie that theory. Modegard's SA-300 is one of the most beautiful vintage amps I've had the pleasure of seeing in person!

You've done well. Wonderful amp. I have the SA-100 and still have the SA-300. I like them equally.

Mark

Hey Mark, were your ears burnin'? :wave:

This is my first real experience with anything Fisher - I've stayed away from their integrateds and receivers because I'm leary of the futz factor, but when I came across this thing I threw caution to the wind...

This is my first real experience with anything Fisher - I've stayed away from their integrateds and receivers because I'm leary of the futz factor, but when I came across this thing I threw caution to the wind...

Ok I'll bite. What exactly is 'the futz factor'?

I think it's because they painted directly over the copper plating. It's an epoxy that's tough, thinners have little effect, but brittle. I have a 55A that was painted with Chevy engine block orange. I removed most of the orange with a heat gun with no loss of the factory paint or lettering.

Ok I'll bite. What exactly is 'the futz factor'?
The "futz factor" is the messing around, wasting time, dinkin' with, tweaking, dialing in, fiddling, adjusting, cursing, head-scratchin', wondering, and generally being frustrated with the mystery bugaboos and gremlins that reside in audio gear, especially vintage gear, more especially vintage tube gear, and most especially those pieces of vintage tube gear that have lots of extra dials, bells, whistles, knobs, switches, tone controls, and gizmos that haven't aged well.

Got it?

:D

YES. They were. Always make it a point to read Fisher posts. Love the stuff. Did you sell the Pilot? I've been telling Doucanoe to convince you to keep the Sa-260.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom